Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Machine Polishing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Machine Polishing Need help with Machine polishing

Old 18-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
The Apprentice
PC Perfectionist

Location: "are you sure this the best way to clean the arches?!"
Question Pad/compound advise for DA returning from the wilderness of meh that'll do..

Long time no post (the delights of having kids dragged me away from time cleaning, something the mrs called "priorities" or something!)

Anyway recently acquired a Range Rovers Sport (58 plate) that the previous owner used the Basil Fawlty "bush thwaking" method of scraping the mud off their car (I think cleaning would be generous) and a galaxy of swirls, a delightful range of scratch depths and a couple dings that'll probably end up needing some professional attention i.e. perfect to have a play on not be too worried about perfection (apologies I once suffered the teeth itch that may induce but kids beat perfection out of you).

I've had a dig around and not really seen any details on RRS of that age that would be recent, and I'm not sure how hard the clearcoat is.

Keeping in mind the above I'm going to dust off the Meguirs DA (yes I said it's been a while) but need new pads and compounds so perfect time to get sets for the RRS- what would you gurus advise?

Given it's a big beast I'm happy to take it one panel at a time as apparently kids are for life not just for Christmas

Thanks for your advise in advance
The Apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2019, 03:18 AM   #2
Steampunk
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,962 Times in 900 Posts
Garage
Welcome back...

I think I can imagine the current mental state you are in.

RR's within the past decade or so have a reputation generally for being on the softer and more finicky side of things... With an 8MM DA, and defects that are towards the deeper side, my instincts point me towards the Scholl S3+ XXL / Scholl White Spider Sandwich for addressing the nastiness, and CarPro Essence / CG's Hex White or Blue pads (Smart money's on Blue) for refining... Can I guarantee it'll fit your needs exactly? Nope. With some experimentation will it do the trick? Quite probably... These products are really nice to work with on your machine, with DA jedi-force that might be a bit rusty, and on softer, trickier paints.

Essence plays great with Reload and Hydro2, which will come in handy when you realize that those kids are still there even once your detailing itch becomes overpowered by reality again, and that RR sized vehicles are a PITA to detail; needing more days than you think to make right.

You have my best wishes.

- Steampunk

Last edited by Steampunk; 19-09-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Steampunk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steampunk For This Useful Post:
Citromark (19-09-2019), The Apprentice (19-09-2019)
Old 19-09-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
The Apprentice
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steampunk View Post
Welcome back...

I think I can imagine the current mental state you are in.

RR's within the past decade or so have a reputation generally for being on the softer and more finicky side of things... With an 8MM DA, and defects that are towards the deeper side, my instincts point me towards the Scholl S3+ XXL / Scholl White Spider Sandwich for addressing the nastiness, and CarPro Essence / CG's Hex White or Blue pads (Smart money's on Blue) for refining... Can I guarantee it'll fit your needs exactly? Nope. With some experimentation will it do the trick? Quite probably... These products are really nice to work with on your machine, with DA jedi-force that might be a bit rusty, and on softer, trickier paints.

Essence plays great with Reload and Hydro2, which will come in handy when you realize that those kids are still there even once your detailing itch becomes overpowered by reality again, and that RR sized vehicles are a PITA to detail; needing more days than you think to make right.

You have my best wishes.

- Steampunk
Thanks will have a look into those. I just sealed the glass which took long enough and alooooot of stretch to get to the middle of the windscreen, definitely one for the Sunday mornings they're out playing with horses, taking it one panel at a time...weather and football permitting
Old 21-09-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
The Apprentice
PC Perfectionist

Order placed