Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

View Poll Results: Did you find these videos useful?
Yes 10 83.33%
No 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
Floyd
Washmitt Meister

Wet sanding - The Ammo, Kevin Brown and Jason Rose version

I've come across numerous threads asking how to remove orange peel, how to wet sand or even just tips how to make compounding that little bit easier....

I came across this 2 part video, which goes into amazing detail of both the sanding and finishing stages, and really gives priceless information between using a sanding block vs using a machine and how cleaning a pad can make that SEMA show difference. I really feel this is a video that anyone can and should watch, no matter what level they are at detailing, as this can be used as a refresher course for the hardcore detailing professionals out there, or a beginner training video for those weekend warriors looking to tackle this seemingly 'terrifying' job.

Hope you all enjoy.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Floyd For This Useful Post:
DavieB (07-01-2016), graham1970 (07-01-2016), hoggers (07-01-2016), Stephen Ellis (10-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,833 Times in 2,009 Posts
Garage
Trouble with videos. Is you get all the gear no idea.
He can't teach you to feel the paint he can't teach you pressure. Like machining it takes minutes to learn but YEARS to master. Still keeps us in a job when newbies get wetsand this machine that down their throats and screw up then call the big boys in to sort it out paying more than they would have done in the first place
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (07-01-2016), chongo (07-01-2016), Summit Detailing (07-01-2016), SunnyBoi (08-01-2016), suspal (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
Floyd
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
Trouble with videos. Is you get all the gear no idea.
He can't teach you to feel the paint he can't teach you pressure. Like machining it takes minutes to learn but YEARS to master. Still keeps us in a job when newbies get wetsand this machine that down their throats and screw up then call the big boys in to sort it out paying more than they would have done in the first place
I heard the detailing side of things was quietening down and becoming 'valeting booths' due to people like Junkman giving such good instructional videos that it is putting big boy detailers out of business, as you can pick up a cracking DA and pads kit for 200 odd quid these days and practise until your hearts content.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 18,174 Times in 6,771 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I heard the detailing side of things was quietening down and becoming 'valeting booths' due to people like Junkman giving such good instructional videos that it is putting big boy detailers out of business, as you can pick up a cracking DA and pads kit for 200 odd quid these days and practise until your hearts content.
Would have to beg to differ on that one - not head things quieting down As Allen says experience is king in the detailing trade - feel for paint and machines comes with time and practise - i understand what you are saying about good instructional videos for those that want to look after their own cars but for everyone of those there are those people that prefer to pay to get it done by a professional

you might have practice on a scrap panel but are you confident enough to take some sandpaper lets say to a £30k car ?

Do you have the right insurance in place ? A professional detailer will have in case of a error
Old 07-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Thing with car detailing it's like every other trade, people DIY. Some are good at it, some maybe better than some professionals and some aren't and make a mess of it.
To me personally there is nothing hard about polishing, wet sanding etc. I'd be happy doing the mechanics on my car, plumbing in a shower, erecting decking in the garden etc.
If you're in the trade obviously you will see the work people have messed up, you're unlikely to see the work that people have done that have produced excellent results that clearly have got as good a skills as a professional (or better) as they have a need for the services!
It gets a bit annoying/boring even, when you see people constantly knocking DIYers. Don't use a rotary you'll burn through your paint, wet sanding is really hard you'll make a mess etc. I'm not knocking professionals but really some are a bit high and mighty....let's be honest when it comes to detailing they are only a professional by definition because they get paid......What qualifications are there to be a detailer? Are there any regulatory bodies?
Machine polishing takes minutes to learn and years to master??? Really....Maybe if you polished a car once every year? 6 months of constant machine polishing I'd hope to be pretty dam efficient and know what I'm doing if not then it's probably not the trade for you!
There are professionals and professionals, I've seen parts on here where pros have head to correct messes made by other so called pros. I've seen posts on here where people have messed up, and I've seen posts I here where amateurs have carried out nut and bolt restorations that would put many pros to shame.
So my point is if someone wants to have a go at something and they feel they are capable let them/support them discuss, provide information maybe point out a few things to look out for or possible dangers isn't that what forums like this are for? Is it not full of enthusiasts that want to DIY. If they decide they are capable doing something and they mess up, so what, it was their choice.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DavieB For This Useful Post:
asiangunner (10-01-2016), Fuzz573 (07-01-2016), hardyd44 (11-01-2016), Hereisphilly (07-01-2016), mattjk88 (11-01-2016), Pip66 (07-01-2016), Stephen Ellis (10-01-2016), Summit Detailing (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
The other thing the pro has over a weekend warrior is YEARS of experience.
I have probably forgotton more than a lot of weekend warriors here actually know. I can pull from memory what to use for what and when. You don't gain that sort of knowledge in five minutes of watching YouTube.
The valeting bays are the eastern euros just making a quick quid the proper detailing bays are still as if not more busy than ever.
@DavieB I spent three years with a German guy holding my hands everything I did before I was allowed to touch a car by myself but that was back in the day twenty plus years ago. You will find 99% of good machinists ( Kelly .. Matt... Paul.. Darryl .. myself )ain't give minute wonders you probably have over a hundred years experience there alone and I doubt one of us learnt from you tube ( mainly because when we started internet hadnt been invented)

Last edited by AllenF; 07-01-2016 at 08:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
Toto (10-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 7,117 Times in 4,809 Posts
Garage
It certainly takes practice and experience, I went on a one day polishing course, I know it's not enough but enough for me to give me the confidence to polish my S1, and still learning.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
AllenF (07-01-2016), cheekymonkey (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
@soulboy so would you consider machining a 100grand motor and not get an eyelid or wear a happy when you did it... that's where confidence plays to be taken over by experience
Old 07-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #9
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,086 Times in 3,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post

Keep watching those video's buddy because those views give pro detailers and bodyshops work,I'll through you a challenge eventhough I'm not in the best of health,that can onlt be an advantage to you,is to a detailing challenge be it wet sanding interior anything and let a body of independants judge the results and name the winner,are you man enough to put your money where your mouth is?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to suspal For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (07-01-2016), chongo (07-01-2016), Soul boy 68 (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #10
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
I'm in on that contest and I got emphysema so I can't breathe. Surely I can't win....... (or can I?????? I ain't been doing this this many years and run the bays I have without good reason. .........)

GAME ON
The Following User Says Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
suspal (07-01-2016)
Closed Thread

Tags
ammonyc, jason rose, kevin brown, wet sanding