Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Painting/Spraying & Bodywork
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Painting/Spraying & Bodywork All topics relating to vehicle repair bodywork and painting, respraying etc.

Old 05-06-2021, 12:32 AM   #71
Ennoch
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
Glad to hear you have her back and more importantly you are happy with the work.
Look forward to seeing the pics.
Out of interest tell me more about the tyres and dampers.
Have you gone for the PS4s in rft or, as I know you live out in the sticks, got a spare ?
I cant remember without looking back if you have adaptive suspension.
I do and have noticed squeaks recently when going over bumps etc and wondered what your symptoms were ?
I'm still in warranty so would look to pursue this.
I actually live in the city but spend most of my free time out in the wilds. I wasn't willing to compromise on not having RFTs in winter given the risk of hidden/submerged/buried pot holes down untreated single track roads at 4am with no phone reception, but in summer I was a bit more willing to compromise to ended up with non RFT Michelin PS4S (not the PS4 or the PS4* which isn't available until July). I'm blown away by the contrast to the old S001's. The fronts were relatively recent (albeit date coded 2017) while the rears were the original and thus date coded June 2014! One of the rears was so stubbornly attached to the rim it broke the tyre machine and they resorted to cutting it off. The rubber on them felt like plastic whereas the michelins are much more akin to a normal performance tyre. The PS4S are a little more floaty than the S001's as the sidewall is so much softer but at the same time this improves ride and traction on the rougher road surfaces. Where before on damp roads felt like the car was gliding over the surface, even new this Michelins feel properly keyed into the surface. Better ride, less road noise and much better cornering. You actually get proper feel to the steering which means you can push on and trust the tyres thanks to decent feedback and loading. The downside is that it's shown the brakes to definitely need some improvement. New pads incoming I reckon!

As to the suspension, yes, I have the adaptive stuff. I had a slight knock coming from the front, like a drop link or top mount that was beginning to fail. Not super intrusive but on bobbly road surfaces it was noticeable enough. They couldn't find anything until a road test and a shaker plate at which point they reckoned it was the adaptive valves in at least one of the struts having failed, particularly as it was much more noticeable in sport mode. I don't think the NSF one was faulty but credit to them they replaced both (at 38k miles, 6 years old) and the knock has gone completely. I think initially they were thinking it was the rack but the VSS rack seems to have less issues than the normal one in that regard. If it's under a BMW warranty I'd take it in and get them to look at it, they'll probably be pretty keen to find the fault seeing as they get paid well to do the work! If yours are squeaks then that sounds more like dry bushes on the ARB or drop links but I might be wrong, it's been known to happen from time to time
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:14 AM   #72
Walesy.

Christ...I have just read all this over 2 coffee's.

Sounds like a disastrous start but a great ending buddy, I would be interested to know what dealer this was (PM) as I know of someone who is just about to put their car into a dealer network, for bodywork in the Glasgow area.

Anyway, this also sounds very familiar. I had a vectra SRI and it was damaged by a motorcyclist. Watsons of Airdrie paint the car 6 times...ended up we came to an agreement to replace the car with a new 'super discounted' deal. Honestly I feel for you on this one, as my blood pressure was through the roof with it all.

Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures bud!!

Last edited by Walesy.; 05-06-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walesy. For This Useful Post:
Ennoch (05-06-2021)
Old 05-06-2021, 10:35 PM   #73
Ennoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy. View Post
Christ...I have just read all this over 2 coffee's.

Sounds like a disastrous start but a great ending buddy, I would be interested to know what dealer this was (PM) as I know of someone who is just about to put their car into a dealer network, for bodywork in the Glasgow area.

Anyway, this also sounds very familiar. I had a vectra SRI and it was damaged by a motorcyclist. Watsons of Airdrie paint the car 6 times...ended up we came to an agreement to replace the car with a new 'super discounted' deal. Honestly I feel for you on this one, as my blood pressure was through the roof with it all.

Looking forward to seeing the finished pictures bud!!
Wow, that's some perseverance in reading through it! Sounds like you had a terrible experience with the Vectra, thankfully this one didn't go quite so far down the wrong road. I suspect that the way I've dealt with it may have been different a year ago, but life teaches you things and you learn to get less angry about stuff. At least when people take responsibility for things (which they did, once I stopped speaking to the floor managers and dealt with the big boys).

The big problem is that my car is not the colour it should be, and while there was an initial problem with the paint and the floor managers not agreeing that it was a problem, I simply can't fault how they've subsequently gone on to resolve it (I tend to go with how problems are resolved rather than whether they occurred in the first place, everyone has an off day occasionally). Yes. it's taken time but with lockdowns etc I've simply not been in a rush to get it fixed as quickly as possible and instead preferred to get the colour right, hence a huge number of spray out cards! They were saying that they've never had an EBII car where the Thorne shade doesn't match perfectly (or at least to blendable levels) and I have to say that on the basis of all the other EBII cars I see on the road, I believe them.

Anyway, I've got a car back that has a very good paint job on it, in the right colour, and with a few other bits and pieces to make up for the issue. If your mate's in Glasgow he won't come across these guys but even so, I'd happily recommend them as I've seen enough of their paint jobs in recent months to know that mine was the odd one out - put it this way, I gave the painter (this time round) and the director a very decent bottle of wine each as thanks for sorting it out.

I'll give the car a clean and take some pics, it's now had 500 miles on it and several rain storms so its safe to say it's not as shiny as it was and the wheels are rather blacker!
Old 06-06-2021, 08:33 AM   #74
Walesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennoch View Post
Wow, that's some perseverance in reading through it! Sounds like you had a terrible experience with the Vectra, thankfully this one didn't go quite so far down the wrong road. I suspect that the way I've dealt with it may have been different a year ago, but life teaches you things and you learn to get less angry about stuff. At least when people take responsibility for things (which they did, once I stopped speaking to the floor managers and dealt with the big boys).

The big problem is that my car is not the colour it should be, and while there was an initial problem with the paint and the floor managers not agreeing that it was a problem, I simply can't fault how they've subsequently gone on to resolve it (I tend to go with how problems are resolved rather than whether they occurred in the first place, everyone has an off day occasionally). Yes. it's taken time but with lockdowns etc I've simply not been in a rush to get it fixed as quickly as possible and instead preferred to get the colour right, hence a huge number of spray out cards! They were saying that they've never had an EBII car where the Thorne shade doesn't match perfectly (or at least to blendable levels) and I have to say that on the basis of all the other EBII cars I see on the road, I believe them.

Anyway, I've got a car back that has a very good paint job on it, in the right colour, and with a few other bits and pieces to make up for the issue. If your mate's in Glasgow he won't come across these guys but even so, I'd happily recommend them as I've seen enough of their paint jobs in recent months to know that mine was the odd one out - put it this way, I gave the painter (this time round) and the director a very decent bottle of wine each as thanks for sorting it out.

I'll give the car a clean and take some pics, it's now had 500 miles on it and several rain storms so its safe to say it's not as shiny as it was and the wheels are rather blacker!
I prefer these threads with a happy outcome, rather than 'what wax for a red micra' type LOL.

The vectra issues was horrendous mate,
. Received it back 1st time: Grey and flat, all rubbers painted silver too.
. 2nd time, all rubbers cleaned but they missed a bit under the wingmirror that over lapped the wing. So it was filled with almost like a stick black plastic.
3rd time; Paint was barley on the panel and could see the undercoat
4th time, the wing had bubbles in it
5th time, better job..but the afore-mentioned bubbled came back
6th time, paint was incredibly thick and just wasn't finished correctly,

New car afterwards as they ruined it. Honestly, I was hoping for an outcome like yours but I had to seek advice and get insurance approved surveys done to state that car was abysmal.

I was young at the time, probably hot headed too, so was surprised I kept my cool with it all. The garage shut down afterwards as it was getting a really bad name and losing business ALOT.

I used a body shop local to me, like bottom of road and those guys have a real eye for detail, he knows I am a fussy bugger LOL...so I like that! School friend too, so that all helps. So I know I am in good hands.

Its to be nice today, so get yer gear out!
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #75
Ennoch

Ouch, that sounds like cowboys more than a simple issue of the paint match not being quite right! It's good you managed to find a decent place to get work done now.

Nice weather at weekends is for having fun in the hills rather than washing cars in the cities, I'm too busy enjoying driving it at the moment than to bother cleaning it! Pictures will definitely follow, I've got a few bits to stick in the proper thread.
Old 13-06-2021, 10:54 PM   #76
Ennoch

Finally got around to updating the main thread in the project forum, but here's a teaser shot:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ennoch For This Useful Post:
Cookies (13-06-2021), sidewalkdances (14-06-2021)