Detailing World Forum banner

D-limonene based homemade degreaser

14K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  steelghost 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever made their own D-limonene based homemade degreaser or cleaner?

I have 0,5l of orange based D-limonene at home. After reading a bit online I found that if you mix it at 3-7% with water it can be used as a multipurpose cleaner?

Any thoughts or experience in this?

#2 ·
Only that it's an oily liquid, I don't know if it's miscible with water or if you'd need some sort of emulsifier to stop separating out.

Edit: http://www.ppiatlanta.com/pdfs/DataSheets/D-Limonene- uses.pdf

Aqueous systems incorporating d-Limonene, surfactants, and water are especially popular for
economic and environmental benefits. Levels of 3%-7% d-Limonene with surfactants
(ethoxylated alcohols, glycol ethers, ethoxylated amines) are common for all-purpose cleaners.
Generally these formulas take a 2:1 ratio to emulsify d-Limonene at these levels (e.g. 10% dLimonene,
5% surfactants, balance water). The addition of EDTA (chelates) to tie up metals, and
phosphates (builders) such as STPP, TKPP, and metasilicates will contribute to the balance of
the emulsion and probably significantly improve the overall effectiveness of the cleaner. These
various ingredients can be adjusted to raise the pH to the desired level and improve chances of
creating a stable "non-separating" formula. The 3%-7% d-Limonene level is effective on medium
weight grease, oil, carbon and road film. It is an excellent whitewall tire cleaner in the
concentrate form

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.