Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 18-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
Snowglobe
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Is Battery Power the right solution for cars

Is Battery Power the right solution for cars?

I've been thinking about this for a while now. If you start to consider why we are moving away from fossil fuels for cars and other general transport, then does your mind ask the question; what are the consequences around using millions of tons of elements for batteries instead of fossil fuels?
Do you wonder, if in 30 years time whether here will be a global impact on the materials used to manufacture batteries and also the impact on the environment of recycling batteries?
I'm not saying the movement is wrong, but I sometimes wonder if all the consequences have been researched, after all, looking back, asbestos was the future for many applications and then not many years later it's been found to be a killer and also a problem to remove and make safe.

Have a read of this at least.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-019-1682-5

Nothing is ever a wonder solution, is it?

Last edited by Snowglobe; 18-06-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Snowglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snowglobe For This Useful Post:
Mikesphotaes (18-06-2021), Soul boy 68 (18-06-2021)
Old 18-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
SteveTDCi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,299 Times in 2,744 Posts
Battery isn't the future, it just seems to be the current trend, the production and recycling never seem to be taken into account when pushing its green credentials
SteveTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveTDCi For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (27-06-2021)
Old 18-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,495 Times in 5,614 Posts
Garage
I still believe there will be problems with infrastructure and not everyone will be able to charge their cars, think of people who don't have a driveway and rely on parking on the road or busy main road, those people that live in apartment blocks, properties that don't have space to have a charger fitted, cars that are parked in communal areas, the increased cost of your electricity bills, multi car families thus all sharing one charger and people that arrive at electric charging forecourts running very low on power to then find that they're all been taken up with cars on charge or to find chargers that are out of order. The list goes on for me. EV isn't the answer to everyone's mobility needs.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
bidderman1969 (18-06-2021), ridders66 (18-06-2021), slim_boy_fat (18-06-2021), stealthwolf (27-06-2021)
Old 18-06-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,833 Posts
We might yet one day see some type of rapid fusion devices that are small and cheap enough to release usefull power from scrap materials.

The danger that currently surrounds us all is the unstable incendiary devices known as Lithium-ion batteries. I think at some point the world will wake up to that. In my work I have seen plenty of laptops, tablets and phones which have been split in half by the force of a Li-On battery failing and overheating.

They can and do erupt into ferocious flames to, if shorted out.

Do a web image search for "spicy pillows" to see examples
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
Darlofan

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,425 Posts
Garage
What is certain is, in however many yrs when the balance tips from ice cars to ev there will instantly be a report from some mate of Greta saying batteries aren't as good as first thought and so the taxing will rise.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Darlofan For This Useful Post:
stealthwolf (27-06-2021)
Old 18-06-2021, 03:32 PM   #6
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,233 Times in 912 Posts
Not every country has exorbitant amounts of tax on fuel. For us sadly as ICE cars disappear tax will be applied to EV cars in different ways.

Once a tax has been introduced it never goes away. We will almost certainly have pay per mile and that will be on top of VED.

At present battery power is the answer as a way to know where pollution will occur.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
muzzer

Thanked 6,755 Times in 4,313 Posts
Garage
Batteries are not the answer as long as we - the human race - keep digging humungous holes in the planet to mine the Lithium and use power stations to generate the elastictrickery.

I would suggest Hydrogen fuel cells but whilst they work in California, they seem to have died a death here. The nearest one to us was London but that has closed down now.
Old 18-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #8
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,833 Posts
I will step up and volunteer the inevitable jokes about Mr Fusion units and Flux Capacitors.

There, that's out of the way now
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
The happy goat (19-06-2021)
Old 18-06-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
Caledoniandream

Thanked 1,328 Times in 912 Posts
Yes I believe battery power is the solution.
Battery development is still only starting, new recyclable polypeptide (metal free) are developed.
40/50 years ago we had milk floats with lead-acid batteries and only a few mile of range, now 500 mile range is not a pipe dream anymore.

Regarding charging, we are in general never more than 15 meter from an electric feed cable.
Curb side charging would be not to much a difficulty, flip curb open and plug your car in, login and pay, not millions miles away.

If you realise how little energy we use through the night, and 93% of the cars are expecting to charge at night, I don’t see the shortage of power.
Also new chargers are clever and start charging when there is low demand on the net.
The power stations can run much more efficient as there will be less starting and stopping of demand.

Regarding other countries don’t charge as much tax on fuel, apart from the Middle East, USA and the Canary Islands most countries have a substantial amount of tax on fuel, or like in the Netherlands road tax is substantial higher than in the UK, my wife’s car is here £145, the same car in the Netherland is €1230 plus petrol is more expensive in the Netherlands.
Caledoniandream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
slim_boy_fat

Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,293 Posts
Battery power the answer ? - possibly.....

slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slim_boy_fat For This Useful Post:
Snowglobe (19-06-2021), Soul boy 68 (18-06-2021)