Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Daily News Zone Want to keep up with whats happening in the Automotive industry - Check back here daily. Sponsored by GyeonQuartz

Old 07-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #81
Rakti
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Ref post #38

Thu 4th Feb brought relatively fine weather (for February in the UK), with temperatures up to 7c, so out came the AkiraBrand goodies sent to me in January. I took my partners 2017 Audi A3 to my mum's as there's loads more space to operate in. I was also there to attempt some repairs to her old garage doors, so my time on the car was somewhat limited by this. I ended up finishing off in the garage and final photos were taken next day at my house.

One thing about these products is the Directions for use are very detailed (although type rather small on my sample bottles, presumably sized up on the normal size bottles). For each product their is Job info and Directions info.

1. Citrus Duo Bug & Grime Remover (yellow bottle in the photo at post #28) 7/10

Product is Ready To Use or can be diluted down to 1:4

Briefly; spray on, leave to dwell, rinse with a pressure washer.

TBH, although it hadn't been washed for a while, due to Covid the car wasn't very dirty and I had difficulty finding any serious bug splatter but there was a bit of bird poo, so applied to that and a few other areas, then went straight to snow foam without rinsing.

2. Glacier Snowfoam (cherry colour bottle) 8/10

Job: Strongly effective yet safe pre-wash that creates a clingy foam......

Briefly; Instructions are only given for snowfoam lance: Add 100ml to your 1litre bottle and fill with warm water, leave to dwell for 5-7mins, rinse with a PW.

I don't have a PW, so I had to quess how much to use in my Mesto Foamer. 100ml in 1litre suggested the product is very concentrated, so I only used 20ml to 980ml warm water.

I'd half-rinsed the front, then remembered I needed to take photos.

So, as you can see, a nice clingy foam without being very thick (out of my foamer anyway). After leaving to dwell for 7mins it did take an age to rinse off with just a hose attachment but so does my usual foam.

3. Lavish Shampoo (green bottle) 6/10

This is provided in one of those bottles that you press down one side of the cap to reveal a small dispensing hole on the other side.

Job: mentions high gloss finish, so maybe not a pure shampoo?, LSP safe and pH neutral.

Directions: briefly squeeze 4-6 drops into a half filled bucket of water then mix with a PW to foam up, so very little product used here. I usually use 5ml of a well-known shampoo but 6 drops must be only around 2ml maybe?

I'm not saying this shampoo didn't clean but TBH, lubricity wasn't up to my usual shampoo. Time was pressing and I didn't get any photos with Lavish applied or rinsed off.

4. Lush Quick Detailer 8/10

Job: QD spray infused with carnauba wax, use as light spray wax or clay lubricant.

Directions: spray one panel at a time and spread evenly, allow to dry for seconds, buff with a MF to a smooth glossy finish. Don't apply in direct sun.

It was dark by this time, but the Lush went on well and buffed up nicely.

Here's some photos the next morning;

Tyres have got dirty already on our muddy back road

Decent beading considering most of the DSW I applied in the autumn has worn off.

I've not yet had a chance to use the Fallout and Tar Remover or Glass Cleaner, so will report on those at a later stage.

Many thanks again to Akirabrand for allowing me to sample these products.

Last edited by Rakti; 07-02-2021 at 10:58 PM.
Rakti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rakti For This Useful Post:
idrobbo (07-02-2021), rob267 (08-02-2021), WHIZZER (08-02-2021)
Old 24-02-2021, 09:54 PM   #82
gatecrasher3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I received the next part of my prize which I am excited to test out.

It's the Instaramic Citrus Ice sealant along with a microfibre and air freshener.

Now the weather is starting to change for the better it'll be good to get cracking.

Many thanks to James for sending this out to me.

gatecrasher3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatecrasher3 For This Useful Post:
idrobbo (26-02-2021), macca666 (25-02-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 06:28 PM   #83
Alan C
Washmitt Meister

Finally got round to trying some of the products that I won.

My niece’s company car is going back this week, so she needed it clean. It’s probably the only time it’s been washed in the 2 years she’s had it!

Started off with the iron remover on the wheels and bodywork.

Next was the bug remover on the front bonnet and bumper. God knows how long the flies had been on there!

Then G-Wash. I was unable to snow foam as the gun on the end of her hose wouldn’t come off.

That foamed nicely and started working immediately.

After washing and rinsing, drying was next. The towel absorbed most of the water straight away.

After a quick polish using P1, which wasn’t in the kit, I did the windows with G6, which was excellent as usual.

Finally, I checked the finish with the Scangrip light. No idea whether I was using it correctly!

And the final result.......

The kit will be excellent for routine washing on mine (when I get round to it), and the light will be used when I re-ceramic mine in a few months.

Thanks again to the DW, the organisers and to the sponsors for the prizes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alan C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan C For This Useful Post:
idrobbo (01-03-2021), straight6hatch (01-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 10:14 PM   #84
gatecrasher3

As this weekend decided to bless us with great weather I took the opportunity to give some of the products that I was lucky enough to win from Bilt Hamber a try. Not before time either as I am ashamed to say that my car hadn't yet been washed in 2021!

The products I chose to tackle it with were:
  • Auto-Wheel
  • Auto-Foam
  • Auto-Wash
  • Auto-QD
  • Mitt

Starting off with the wheels using Auto-Wheel. I'd not used this before but had used several other products in the past with varying degrees of success, but none that I felt gave a particularly satisfying result.

I sprayed it on and left it to work it's magic for five minutes. The product was great in that due to it's consistency it clung to the wheel surface without running straight off and you can see it working.

After rinsing I was impressed with the cleaning performance especially as I hadn't agitated at all. I don't doubt for a second that with agitation the wheels would have been left completely clean.

The rear wheel transformation was even more impressive given the state of it prior to Auto-Wheel. Sadly the winter weather has taken it's toll on the wheel nuts. Any tips for easy rust removal greatly appreciated!

Moving on from the wheels it was time to make a start on the car itself and this is what I was starting with.

Having gone through the process of calculating the required amount of Auto-Foam to give a 4% PIR I went ahead and covered the car before leaving it to dwell and work it's magic. As a lot of people have already found it isn't as think as some other foams but it still seem to give good coverage and stayed on the surface long enough to start to breakdown the dirt and grime.

After rinsing I was left with this.

Next it was time to break out the Wash Mitt and Auto-Wash shampoo, mixing it as per the instructions 5ml per 10l. Quite honestly I was amazed at just how little of the product that was required and it still provided some foamy suds which felt well lubricated on the bodywork. The mitt is of very good quality holding lots of water and feels like it's quilt lined. Very nice to use.

Having dried the car fully I decided to go round it with the Auto-QD detailing spray. This was diluted 50/50 in a spray bottle and wiped on and subsequently buffed off with the Bilt Hamber supplied polishing cloths. It was effortless to work with and buffed off easily leaving a nice gloss to the paintwork.

I still have several products left to try and am looking forward to getting acquainted with them in the coming months, I'm sure they will peform at the same level as the ones I have reviewed here.

I'll definitly be sticking with Auto-Wheel, that has really been a stand out for me so far. That being said I will use all of the other products until they are exhausted as they work exactly as they are described.

A big thank you once more to Bilt Hamber for the generous prize and of course Detailing World for running the competition.

Here are the final results.

The Following User Says Thank You to gatecrasher3 For This Useful Post:
Rappy (18-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:02 PM   #85
Rakti
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Great review and photos. There's no holding back with that spoiler!

Slightly rusty wheel nuts; if you have the downtime and have some BH Deox-C, leave them in a solution of hot Deox-C overnight and it should clear most of the rust. May need a brushing off and repeat dipping.

Last edited by Rakti; 03-03-2021 at 11:05 PM.
Rakti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rakti For This Useful Post:
gatecrasher3 (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 07:49 AM   #86
gatecrasher3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakti View Post
Great review and photos. There's no holding back with that spoiler!

Slightly rusty wheel nuts; if you have the downtime and have some BH Deox-C, leave them in a solution of hot Deox-C overnight and it should clear most of the rust. May need a brushing off and repeat dipping.
Thanks for the tip, seems fitting that a BH product would be best suited to sorting them. I'll order some and give it a try.
Old 18-03-2021, 11:31 AM   #87
straight6hatch
PC Perfectionist

Pyramid Car Care Ceramic Coating Review!

After receiving my exceptionally generous prize from PCC, I hadn't gotten around to using the Ceramic Coating they provided me with. A new car for the other half was on the horizon (which she recently collected) and time permitted me to give it a full correction and then coat it.

I started with the usual strip wash, decon and then pulled it inside for a correction. Please ignore all the rolls of carpets in some of the picture. No prizes for guessing which business im in!

Being a brand new car (3 miles on the clock) you'd expect the paintwork to be in good condition. Unfortunately, the usual swirls and marks were there even though it had only had 1 pre-delivery wash. Main dealers, eh?

After a good few hours correcting and refining the paintwork, it was time for an IPA panel wipe and get down to laying the ceramic. I didnt take any pictures of the correction as we have all seen these before. If I had to make comment on the paintwork, it would be in average condition considering its very low mileage. However, Hyundai paintwork was a pleasure to work with being on the mid scale of hardness. 1 Stage polish with a medium polishing pad was enough to correct and give the paintwork a good level of gloss.

Laying the ceramic

PCC quote the following on their website:

"Apply Ceramic Coating by hand using a microfibre applicator pad, panel by panel, following a cross-hatch pattern. Wait 30-90 seconds for the coating to flash and the oil slick pattern to stop moving then buff off with a microfibre cloth. Once all residue is removed wipe the surface again with the second microfibre cloth."

Having now ceramic coated a few sets of wheels and a van, I was apprehensive to try a new product and its quirks (or lack of when it came to PCC's ceramic). Having used Gtechnic C4 and CQUK 3.0, I was ready for a slightly oily product. Oh, how wrong I was. This is, by a country mile, the easiest ceramic I have ever used. Ok, I appreciate my list of previous experience isnt long by any stretch but what a game changer. It goes on very easily and the best bit is how quickly it then flashes off. After the 30 - 90 seconds flash time I buffed off and was amazingly easy to get off again (unlike some others I have tried). Flipped the microfibre and buffed over again to ensure it was fully 'flat' and then left it to cure.

The most staggering part of this particular ceramic is its cure time. Taken, once again, from PCC's website: "20-30 minutes to dry –the coating will be dry to touch within 20-30 minutes, at this point you are safe to drive the vehicle."

SAY WHAT. 30 Minutes?! Driving?! Ceramic?! Surely not? Well, apparently so!

Ill be honest here and say that, luckily for me, I had alternative transport so I did leave the little Hyundai tucked up overnight to doubly ensure curing was completed. However, having now used this product I would feel confident driving it after 30 minutes. I had also used PCC's Carbon Glass Sealant which, again, I felt safer to be left inside to cure overnight. The wheels were also coated but I did conduct a little test here. The near side has PCC's Premium Ceramic on and the off side has ye' ol' faithful Gtechnic C4 on. This was only done for test purposes and both look equally as glossy.

Now, having read my waffle, the bit you all want to see. I only have pictures of the car inside for my own anonymity but here we are, the finished product:

It rained the following day giving me the money shot I really wanted

To summarise, what a great product. I really can't fault the product at this stage. It was easy to use, I think its priced well (if I had paid for it) considering the amount you get and the results are brilliant. Obviously I can't comment on how long it will last but given its ease of use, I would be happy to repply in a while. I will also add that it was reassuring to know I could apply this to rubbers and plastics also. New cars are always covered in plastics and glossy bits and the ceramic went down on those just as easy as the normal paint. Big plus for me!

Thank you very much PCC & DW for orchestrating this brilliant giveaway. The other half is very happy (brownie points for me) and I have found my new 'go to' ceramic product.

Straight6hatch
straight6hatch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to straight6hatch For This Useful Post:
gatecrasher3 (18-03-2021), scottys.m3 (05-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 12:20 PM   #88
Tricky Red

2020 Prize Draw Prize 15 Review Valet Po

I was very fortunate to win prize 15 so I thought that I would review several of the Valet Pro products that were won.

First Up, I have now tried "Advanced Poseidon Car Wash" and the "Advanced Microfibre Wash Mitt"

Firstly, a little goes a long way; the temptation is to overuse shampoos but you do not need to in this case, just follow the instructions. I have access to hot and cold outside taps and found that the warm water created a nice foam.

Despite the foam, this is not a particularly 'sudsy' shampoo. Rather, it creates a nice level of lubrication on the panel and used in conjunction with the washmitt, this meant that surfactants were removed easily. In comparison to my usual shampoo, it felt very similar. The washmitt is a very good size, hold a lot of product and means that you are not forever rinsing and dipping. I found that one dip in the bucket and I could wash the panel easily before flipping over the mitt and wiping clean the panel.

It does not feel an aggressive wash, it claims to be gentle, and also claims to add a sacrificial coating to prolong waxes and sealants.

Finally, it was easy to rinse off and I feel that drying was aided too in the final stage. I did not use the Valet Pro drying towel as had only just started a new one, but will review in due course.

Results of Wash

Summary. A good wash and mitt combination and will be using moving forwards - Recommended
Tricky Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tricky Red For This Useful Post:
James_R (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:18 PM   #89
James_R

Thanked 1,460 Times in 1,119 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrasher3 View Post
The rear wheel transformation was even more impressive given the state of it prior to Auto-Wheel. Sadly the winter weather has taken it's toll on the wheel nuts. Any tips for easy rust removal greatly appreciated!
Lovely work gatecrasher

As said Bilt Hamber Deox C or if you don't have any, stick a couple off each wheel in some white vinegar overnight.
Repeat with the following two nuts off each wheel next night or two til you've done all nuts (without needing to remove the wheels)

A light wire brush and thoroughly dry them afterwards they'll be good to go back on the car.
I put a very very light coat of Castrol Optimoly TA (aluminium anti seize paste on the threads)
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #90
gatecrasher3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_R View Post
Lovely work gatecrasher

As said Bilt Hamber Deox C or if you don't have any, stick a couple off each wheel in some white vinegar overnight.
Repeat with the following two nuts off each wheel next night or two til you've done all nuts (without needing to remove the wheels)

A light wire brush and thoroughly dry them afterwards they'll be good to go back on the car.
I put a very very light coat of Castrol Optimoly TA (aluminium anti seize paste on the threads)
Thanks.

I did clean them up with some Deox, it did an amazing job. But sadly despite giving them a polish with Autosol and then a coating of Hi-Temp wax the rust reappeared soon after. It looks like the nut edges have lost some of the plating over the years perhaps.

Appreciate the tip on the Castrol Optimoly I've not used that before and dislike the mess that copper grease makes of the threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to gatecrasher3 For This Useful Post:
James_R (13-04-2021)