Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 02-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #11
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 8,252 Times in 5,492 Posts
Garage
This may sound silly but cold damp temperatures don’t help our creeking bones at this time of year. That’s why I usually wait until the spring when temperatures are much milder, that’s when I crawl around under the car, get wheels off etc. Maintenance washes are just about bearable for me when washing in colder weather.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soul boy 68 For This Useful Post:
Derek Mc (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #12
westerman
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

This thread is excellent, I think a large percentage of detailers can associate with the problems of the OP.
I will be 81 in April and for some time now this symptom of body fatigue has been a problem.
First I would say try to manage some of the OCD we all have

As age takes a hold we have to manage it and accept we simply can't do what we used to or what we'd like to do.

I have stopped using the DA for full paint correction though I may do the odd panel if there's the odd mark that triggers the old OCD!
I try to avoid putting extra swirls into the paint and the ones that are already there I try not to look
I can still decon, wax and or seal and still LOVE to keep my car looking good. The wheels are a bit of a problem, I always think the manufacturers should fit them a bit higher for convenience.
Fortunately I don't find using a MF hard work. I have a little folding stool for reaching (roof, middle of windscreen) so I don't have to exert. I sit on the stool to do the lower parts, though getting up is hard, But as long as I make sure I have something nearby I can hold on to it's fine.

I still do my two Daughter's cars, A Seat Arona and a Saab, soon to become a Jeep Compass, as I love doing them.

It's all about knowing your limitations and managing them without worrying and making sure you enjoy what you do.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to westerman For This Useful Post:
Alex_225 (10-03-2021), Caledoniandream (02-03-2021), dexter (10-03-2021), grunty-motor (02-03-2021), notfub (03-03-2021), PaulDW (03-03-2021), pt1 (02-03-2021), scooobydont (02-03-2021), stan laurel (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:08 AM   #13
pt1

Thanked 1,210 Times in 846 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
This thread is excellent, I think a large percentage of detailers can associate with the problems of the OP.

I will be 81 in April and for some time now this symptom of body fatigue has been a problem.

First I would say try to manage some of the OCD we all have

As age takes a hold we have to manage it and accept we simply can't do what we used to or what we'd like to do.

I have stopped using the DA for full paint correction though I may do the odd panel if there's the odd mark that triggers the old OCD!

I try to avoid putting extra swirls into the paint and the ones that are already there I try not to look

I can still decon, wax and or seal and still LOVE to keep my car looking good. The wheels are a bit of a problem, I always think the manufacturers should fit them a bit higher for convenience.

Fortunately I don't find using a MF hard work. I have a little folding stool for reaching (roof, middle of windscreen) so I don't have to exert. I sit on the stool to do the lower parts, though getting up is hard, But as long as I make sure I have something nearby I can hold on to it's fine.

I still do my two Daughter's cars, A Seat Arona and a Saab, soon to become a Jeep Compass, as I love doing them.

It's all about knowing your limitations and managing them without worrying and making sure you enjoy what you do.
Hope im still detailing at 80 👍🏻

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pt1 For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (02-03-2021), westerman (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #14
TonyH38

Yes it gets harder at 82 the mind is willing but the body won’t play ball.
TonyH38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TonyH38 For This Useful Post:
Caledoniandream (02-03-2021), pt1 (02-03-2021), westerman (02-03-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 09:09 AM   #15
m500dpp

Excellent thread. I subscribe to a couple of detailers on youtube (everyday detailer, and autoshine) I really don't know how they do it day in day out. At 67 I'm finding washing our cars hard enough even without the polishing etc. I have taken a few steps to make things easier:
- Hose wall mounted on reel, easy to get out and put away
- bought a long hose for pressure washer which can reach all my 5 cars without moving the unit
- have 5 metre hose on my Henry so I can do a whole interior without moving the vac
- suffice with one bucket to wash, use warm water which is kinder on my old hands. I also use a prewash to loosen the dirt
- I seek out easy to use products, most recent addition is sonax BSD which works great if applied with a damp cloth. other favourites are spray wax and megs ceramic sealant.
- I have 3 random orbit polishers, one battery the others with leads long enough to reach all the cars on the drive

As a final thought, everyday detailer wears a mask whenever doing an interior. In my view anyone detailing regularly should do the same. It's one thing doing 1 car quite another working everyday, the effect of the chemicals we use can build up.

Detailing/valeting is not an easy way of earning a living............
m500dpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #16
Del-GTi
Orbital Oracle

Know what you mean. Turned 40 last year and my arms and back ache after a cleaning session.

Take your time (if you can), plenty of breaks, cups of tea in a thermos mug, wrap up warm, use warm water in the buckets, wear rubber gloves. All helps the body.

Retractable hose reel, pump sprayers etc to make life easier. Maybe set up a trolley or bench to lay everything you need out on. I use one of those seat-creepers too. Maybe look at products to save time and effort.

See, this how it amazes me when people say they don’t understand why anyone would want to use spray-on/rinse-off sealants etc. This is one of the very reasons why! They are great if mobility is restricted or you struggle with the constant bending down etc and you want to get back into the house to be warm as soon as you can. My dad is 60-odd, doesn’t keep that well but still likes to be active and clean his car but it takes him hours! I bought him 26JPN Hydro Coat and he loves it. Uses it on the wheels and lower half of the car especially and saves so much time.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote