Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : – 303 | 3M | Auto Finesse | Bilt Hamber | Blackfire | Black Mamba | Bouncer's | Britemax | California Scents | CarPro | Chemical Guys | Collinite | Crakalicious | Dakota Products | Dodo Juice | G3 Pro | Gtechniq | Koch Chemie | Lake Country | Meguiars | Menzerna | Muc-Off | Nanolex | OPT | Pinnacle | Poorboys World | Rupes | Sam's Detailing | Scholl Concepts | Soft99 | Sonax | Sonus | Stoner | Valet Pro | Victoria Wax | Wolfgang | Zaino | e-Gift Certificates | Trade Accounts | www.DetailedClean.co.uk

Old 07-06-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
noddy r32
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Jack protectors

Hi looking at purchasing new jack protectors, which are the best and where to purchase from many thanks in advance
noddy r32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
percymon

Thanked 1,018 Times in 824 Posts
Garage
If you mean jacking pads specific to a car then there are loads on ebay, but you may need specific designs to accommodate sill seam/different heights either side of the seam.

Best ones I had were ice hockey pucks, ca 30mm thick sold rubber but only ok for smooth jacking points
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
\Rian

Garage
It also depends on the Jack youve got as the hockey puck style dont fit the cheap halfords jacks with a small cup safely.

If youve got a decent floor jack like this https://www.halfords.com/workshop-to...pWwBoC8oHw_wcB

then https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163596468459 will do for seam welds
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
noddy r32

Quote:
Originally Posted by percymon View Post
If you mean jacking pads specific to a car then there are loads on ebay, but you may need specific designs to accommodate sill seam/different heights either side of the seam.

Best ones I had were ice hockey pucks, ca 30mm thick sold rubber but only ok for smooth jacking points
Yes jack pads
Old 07-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
Sh1ner

Hockey pucks are ok for flat surfaces and jack heads but cut and fall apart when faced with anything sharp. Either on top or underneath.
The best are I have seen are rectangular blocks, very heavily reinforced, You can cut them with a grinder but only just. I have not seen one cut or split in normal use. Most garages have them on their MOT ramps and jacking beams.
Kora are one make, available in different sizes.
They seem quite expensive but are really, good value, because there is no way you can damage a vehicle or the block. They last for years.
I have looked on my blocks but sorry, there is no information. When I next see the rep I will ask.
Rubber Stock may also have something suitable.

Last edited by Sh1ner; 07-06-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
noddy r32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
Hockey pucks are ok for flat surfaces and jack heads but cut and fall apart when faced with anything sharp. Either on top or underneath.
The best are I have seen are rectangular blocks, very heavily reinforced, You can cut them with a grinder but only just. I have not seen on cut or split in normal use. Most garages have them on their MOT ramps and jacking beams.
They seem quite expensive but are really, good value, because there is no way you can damage a vehicle or the block. They last for years.
I have looked on my blocks but sorry, there is no information. When I next see the rep I will ask.
Cheers mate will look into this product
Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #7
\Rian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh1ner View Post
The best are I have seen are rectangular blocks, very heavily reinforced, You can cut them with a grinder but only just. I have not seen one cut or split in normal use. Most garages have them on their MOT ramps and jacking beams.
If they are the ones im thinkin of they dont have a gorve for the seam weld if that correct?

The ones I use hocky puck style have a grove to stop the seam weld being bent, I am only a DIYer so only do it on my own car so dont need a pro version that will last a life time of daily use as im not using it every day!

so the £3 hockey puck style pasd has lasted me 4 years now and is doing fine
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
Andy from Sandy

And this one for BMWs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Ja...a432880e757985

The picture shows what looks like the trolley jack I have (good choice).

Except when you take your car in for the tyres to be changed places don't bother and just jack the car up without using any of those pucks. On my car the jack is straight onto the plastic.

Last edited by Andy from Sandy; 07-06-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Sh1ner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
If they are the ones im thinkin of they dont have a gorve for the seam weld if that correct?

The ones I use hocky puck style have a grove to stop the seam weld being bent, I am only a DIYer so only do it on my own car so dont need a pro version that will last a life time of daily use as im not using it every day!

so the £3 hockey puck style pasd has lasted me 4 years now and is doing fine
Yes, that is correct. Place on the jack and under the vehicle, surface or seam and as you lift the vehicle it compresses, conforms to the shape spreading the load without damaging either the vehicle or pad and then lifts. Mine are very dense and heavy but compliant and appear to conform and support different shapes easily.
I have tried many hockey puck types and everyone has been the same, ending up in tatters if used on seams. Most seem to be SBR rubber with no structural reinforcement but as you say mine are in use everyday.
Sorry if you feel I was having a pop at your choice. If you have found something that works well for you, genuinely, that's great but as far as I can see no one sells one that is genuinely reinforced or knows what makes it split proof because they do not say.
I have not seen a puck style that behaves in any way like the ones I use, without fear, on any vehicle.
Sh1ner is offline   Reply With Quote