Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Old 09-06-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
b19bst
Sponge Jockey

You should use a Hamilton perfection roller head(green one). Also if you want a washable paint use dulux trade diamond eggshell or the Matt. Use that on all my jobs. Silk isn’t a nice paint to use at all. Nasty stuff. Give it a good going over with a orbital sander first then apply two coats of the paint I suggested with the roller to . Your be fine then.

By the way that’s my trade building and decorating. A good 20 years plus.
b19bst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b19bst For This Useful Post:
ollienoclue (12-06-2019), renton (09-06-2019), tosh (09-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
bigbrother
Washmitt Meister

You say the walls are newly plastered you have painted them to early and the dryer parts have grabbed the paint and this is why you are getting streaks, i would wait a month or so then paint if you can't wait that long use Matt or Silk.
In someways you are making life hard as to put gloss on a flat wall the wall has got to be FLAT as any imperfection will show up.
bigbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigbrother For This Useful Post:
renton (10-06-2019)
Old 10-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
renton
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrother View Post
You say the walls are newly plastered you have painted them to early and the dryer parts have grabbed the paint and this is why you are getting streaks, i would wait a month or so then paint if you can't wait that long use Matt or Silk.
In someways you are making life hard as to put gloss on a flat wall the wall has got to be FLAT as any imperfection will show up.

The walls were dry well before I put any paint on. Even the plasterer came out to confirm as such. Paint was done roughly two weeks after the plaster.
renton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #14
bigbrother
Washmitt Meister

I'm not doubting the plasterer as he would no his product better than me, if you had the wall skimmed then 2 weeks would be long enough but if he went down to the brick work then there would still be moisture in the plaster you would be surprised how long it takes to fully dry.
bigbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
ollienoclue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Fresh plaster seems very absorbent to paint I would say. We have various ceilings and bits done in our house when we moved in last year. I base coated all the fresh stuff with the Polycell base coat and let it dry. It is an excellent product. I even used it on some walls which we had pulled wall paper off or were changing between strong colours etc. Very easy to work with and will hide some cracks etc.

Then we went over with Dulux paint from their trade range, mixed up on site by a special machine in a proper construction outlet. I would never buy anything else now.

That Dulux trade diamond matt stuff is excellent- I used it in the utility room and you can literally wipe dog and cat skank straight off it with a cloth. I will use it in our bathrooms when it comes to redecorating them.

After the recommendation of hamilton rollers and brushers and trays I wouldn't bother using anything else. Far easier to work with and clean out and very reasonably priced, too.

Basically, if you enter a B and Q store you are going to buy the wrong thing. Trade paints and supplies are the ones to use.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote