Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > DW TV > Waxes & Sealants (TV)
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
efunc
Washmitt Meister

Caught by the Rain!!

Well, I'm a little bit frustrated but wondering on the best plan for tomorrow. Essentially I've spent a good few days claying, wet sanding followed by Megs 105 and Menzerna Intensive Polish. Today I wanted to finish up so washed her again, dried and then went over it with Menzerna Final Finish 4000 on a Lake Country Finishing Pad. The result was great, but right then it started raining. The rain water left a haze even after drying off with my towel. I ended up getting a plush microfibre and polishing the rainwater off with some 50% isopropyl alcohol/distilled water mix which did the trick and gave me a smear-free finish again. It took another hour or two to do the whole car but it ready to wax again. I then set about waxing the bonnet, F/N/S wing and N/S door. I got as far as polishing the wax off one half of the bonnet when the sky opened up again, and this time it was tropical.

The question is, how do I pick up where I left off tomorrow? I need to wrap this up without spending another few hours. But I have cured wax over half the car, and the other half completely unwaxed. Should I try to blow or wipe any dust away and then polish off the wax that's already been applied? Rain water can contain a lot of sand and debris, so that worries me.

Or should I start by washing the car again? What about the wax, should I be trying to remove it fully in the wash? If so, I would then need to go through the entire drill of polishing the whole car down with my isopropyl alcohol/distilled water mix to get rid of all the water marks again. Each time I'm polishing the panels with a microfibre cloth I'm potentially added new scratches and I'd just finished giving it the final gloss look with the Menzerna 4000!!

What a drag, need some guidance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8789.jpg (92.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8787.jpg (93.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by efunc; 26-05-2019 at 10:30 PM.
efunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
bluechimp
PC Perfectionist

Id ONR the half that is unwaxed or at least snowfoam it. Panel wipe and then wax.

Good luck
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
efunc (26-05-2019)
Old 26-05-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
efunc
Washmitt Meister

I don't have ONR, so it'll have to be a full 2 bucket wash of the whole car. What is time consuming though is removing all the watermarks and buffing to a shine again. I spent 4 days doing that so very frustrating being caught just before the final wax.

And there's the wax that hasn't yet been buffed off. Overnight it'll collect dust so I don't know if it's safe to buff off now, and what to do with it if not.
Old 27-05-2019, 02:27 AM   #4
efunc
Washmitt Meister

So, I thought I'd actually go back out and get that wax off the car at 11pm tonight instead of waiting for more dust to settle over night. The rain is still sitting on the car and my cloth got pretty soaked. What I noticed under the street light after buffing off though is that the panels looked 'smeared' and not polished. There's definitely a greasy residue that is just getting pushed around. At first it seemed like my Colonite 915 hadn't yet cured or something, but given that it's been about 3 hours I thought that unlikely. More likely is that it's because of the sudden downpour, or that the Menzerna Final Finish 4000 has left some residue. I thought I wiped it off with my IPA, but something is up.

My current plan for the morning is now to wash it and then use my DA to work some AG Super Resin Polish into the panels. Hopefully this'll both clear all the watermarks, remove any polish residues and strip the wax again. That should then give me a fairly decent base to redo the wax again. Is that an good enough 1-step plan?