Detailing World Forum banner

Social group (photography)

151K views 73 replies 54 participants last post by  EcosseGP 
#1 ·
I have started an amateur photography social group if any one is interested. :thumb:

#31 ·
shutter speed question

on my d40 i have played with A mode setting, i control the apperture and the camera controls the shutter speed - this lets me control the focus i.e. full focus or blurred background etc (i believe - correct me if i am wrong)

However when i use the S mode setting to control the shutter speed, when i take pictures at different shutter speeds (im trying to capture water) sometimes it comes out ok and some it comes out very dark and you cant see anything.

i thought i was controlling shutter speed so why does it come out so dark.

i still cant capture dreamy water and frozen water so to speak.

what am i doing wrong?

p.s. when looking through the view finder, at the bottom left corner where it normally says the number of shots left sometimes it says r03 or r04.

what do these mean?

cheers

#42 ·
on my d40 i have played with A mode setting, i control the apperture and the camera controls the shutter speed - this lets me control the focus i.e. full focus or blurred background etc (i believe - correct me if i am wrong)

However when i use the S mode setting to control the shutter speed, when i take pictures at different shutter speeds (im trying to capture water) sometimes it comes out ok and some it comes out very dark and you cant see anything.

i thought i was controlling shutter speed so why does it come out so dark.

i still cant capture dreamy water and frozen water so to speak.

what am i doing wrong?

p.s. when looking through the view finder, at the bottom left corner where it normally says the number of shots left sometimes it says r03 or r04.

what do these mean?

cheers
first of all lets get the easy q out the way... r03 r04 is how many shots are remaining in continuous burst mode. i.e. if you hold the shutter down in continuous burst mode and watch the numbers you should see them go down. r04, ro3, r02 etc...

You sound like your ok with apperture priority mode.

When it comes to shutter prioirty your camera will bring the apperture down to match. i.e. if the scene is not lit a lot you may find that the camera will take the apperture down to f4. And the scene looks fine. Now lets say you keep the shuttter speed the same but your scene is lit less. The camera may want to go all the way down to f2.8. But uh oh! theres a problem. Your lens isnt 'fast' enough. Your lens will only go down to f4. so your picture will be 'one stop' under exposed. becase ...f2 f2.8 f4 f5.6 f8 f11 f16...this is the difference in light between f4 and f2.8.

What you can do to make up for this is change the iso. (your cameras sensitivity to light) You may have it constantly set at iso 400 for example. whereas if you change it to 800 or 1600 you will get the correct exposure of the scene you are trying to shoot although it may be a bit 'noisier', i.e. grain, especially noticeable in black or where there is a lot of contrast, i.e. where the edge of a dark building meets the sky.

So for shutter priority you may need to change your iso to achieve the correct exposure.

Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.