Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Autoglym
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Autoglym Our quest for perfection began with eight pioneering car care treatments that breathed new life into tired bodywork and wheels. From our original premises in Welwyn Garden City, Autoglym quickly became a trusted name, finding a home on shelves across the nationís car dealerships and garages.

Old 06-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
Jibby26
Unwashed Member

Lifeshine Issue?

I spent a good 90 minutes giving my car a detail yesterday; polar blast, UHD shampoo, and then Polar Seal to finish. As I started to dry off I noticed what I thought were water marks all over the roof. I tried to buff them out with a clean cloth, and I'd been careful not to let anything dry on as I was cleaning. On closer inspection they feel like they have an edge to them. Is it possible for the lifeshine coating to come away like that? It doesn't feel as deep or look like when the clear coat peeled on my wife's car and these are much bigger patches.

The car is only 6 months old and I've washed it every couple of weeks and always with Autoglym products, so to say it was a depressing sight is an understatement.

I've emailed lifeshine but not had a response yet. Has anyone else had anything similar? This car has been one big fight with the dealership so I want to be as clued up as possible when I speak to them.
Jibby26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #2
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,954 Times in 4,841 Posts
Very difficult to see the damage , could you take a pic with the light?
I have never seen any coating lift like that if I'm honest, and I know very little about LS, but I would take it back to whom coated it to ask them, and then get a second opinion from a local recommended Detailer.
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 03:36 PM   #3
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby26 View Post
I spent a good 90 minutes giving my car a detail yesterday; polar blast, UHD shampoo, and then Polar Seal to finish. As I started to dry off I noticed what I thought were water marks all over the roof. I tried to buff them out with a clean cloth, and I'd been careful not to let anything dry on as I was cleaning. On closer inspection they feel like they have an edge to them. Is it possible for the lifeshine coating to come away like that? It doesn't feel as deep or look like when the clear coat peeled on my wife's car and these are much bigger patches.

The car is only 6 months old and I've washed it every couple of weeks and always with Autoglym products, so to say it was a depressing sight is an understatement.

I've emailed lifeshine but not had a response yet. Has anyone else had anything similar? This car has been one big fight with the dealership so I want to be as clued up as possible when I speak to them.
Firstly 90 miniuts to wash and wax is not a detail, i frequently spend 3 to 4hours getting in the little corners with a small brush polishing small areas that need a goin over etc , detailing is exactly that focusing on the small details

Anyway formalities aside, coatings like life shine are microns thick and what you've shown in the image looks more than a few microns thick,

I would try polishing it to see what happens
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
piston_warrior
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
Firstly 90 miniuts to wash and wax is not a detail, i frequently spend 3 to 4hours getting in the little corners with a small brush polishing small areas that need a goin over etc , detailing is exactly that focusing on the small details

Anyway formalities aside, coatings like life shine are microns thick and what you've shown in the image looks more than a few microns thick,

I would try polishing it to see what happens
This is bad advice Ryan. The car is 6 months old so Iíd let the dealer rectify it under warranty before potentially making it worse and then giving them a reason to reject a warranty claim.
piston_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to piston_warrior For This Useful Post:
Blueberry (08-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:52 PM   #5
Jibby26
Unwashed Member

OK, maybe more of a quick detail, it was more than just a simple wash.

The clear coat failed on my wife's Polo earlier this year, and this doesn't look like that. The roof looks like it is covered in water marks, but they feel like they have a change in height.

After the issues with VW and my wife's car (and the useless paint warranty) and the extortionate amount they wanted to fix it, coupled with it taking 3 months and a lot of effort to get them to gix delivery damage on this car I really wanted to never have to deal with the dealership again.

It was really hard to get a photo as it is a dark car. I've tried rapid detailer and a bit of SRP on one of the mats and it doesn't touch it.

Just wondering if anyone had experienced anything like this before I call the dealer.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,476 Times in 2,879 Posts
If the car is 6 months old, I'd be contacting them and returning it to let them look at it.

If you tried some SRP and it not touched it, then personally I wouldn't be going further, be getting it back to them in the first instance.

Hope you get it sorted
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (06-06-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 11:04 PM   #7
SystemClenz
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,141 Posts
I’d suggest you take it to your nearest detailer, just to get another opinion, the photo is difficult to see, plus I can’t tell how big it is?

It could be a simple fix
Facebook - Twitter - Website - Instagram - Email Us
SystemClenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Autoglym
Autoglym HQ

Thanked 1,853 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibby26 View Post

Hi,

You should get a response to your email today, we try and reply to all emails within 48 working hours where possible.

The LifeShine coating is so thin it can't be peeled, it is microns thick, to it can't some away and be seen or leave a depressed 'hole'.

I will inform the Customer Care Team of you email.

Mark
Autoglym Online

Winner Detailing World Polish of The Year 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Autoglym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:49 PM   #9
Jibby26
Unwashed Member

Thanks Mark,

I got a response on Friday afternoon. With all the bad weather over the weekend I struggled to get the extra pictures requested, but in a dry spell I managed to pat an area of the roof (still with visible marks) dry and then buffed with rapid detailer on a finishing cloth and I can't see them anymore. Not sure how to explain that as I'd tried buffing with some rapid detailer when I saw them after drying the car and even tried some SRP on them before the torrential rain of the weekend. Maybe something happened during the Polar Seal application and left some rings that could be felt? After shelling out a few hundred pounds to get my wife's roof resprayed after lacquer peel a couple of months ago I'm probably still a bit paranoid about the finish on them!