Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : 303 | 3M | Auto Finesse | Bilt Hamber | Blackfire | Black Mamba | Bouncer's | Britemax | California Scents | CarPro | Chemical Guys | Collinite | Crakalicious | Dakota Products | Dodo Juice | G3 Pro | Gtechniq | Koch Chemie | Lake Country | Meguiars | Menzerna | Muc-Off | Nanolex | OPT | Pinnacle | Poorboys World | Rupes | Sam's Detailing | Scholl Concepts | Soft99 | Sonax | Sonus | Stoner | Valet Pro | Victoria Wax | Wolfgang | Zaino | e-Gift Certificates | Trade Accounts | www.DetailedClean.co.uk

Old 26-08-2019, 07:17 PM   #1
broncoupe
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Rupes

Anybody been using the new Rupes forced drive machines
presently use 3401
broncoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:46 AM   #2
Stuart1441
Sponge Jockey

Garage
On a similar note Im looking to purchase a new polisher and have been looking at the Rupes LK900

Are there any stores where I could demo a machine in the Yorkshire area? Or any alternative machines?

Sorry for the thread hijack
Stuart1441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
Itstony
Orbital Oracle

Yes.
And?
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

I possess the flex 3401 and the rupes mille. There's pros and cons to each, what I would say is if you have one you don't need the other. I also think the flex has a bit more oomph to it, as defects I haven't been able to correct with the mille I have with the flex. Quite happy to list my opinions on both if you want to hear them :-)
big dave 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 08:26 PM   #5
San21
Unwashed Member

I was lucky enough to win the Rupes LK 900E from Polished Bliss in their 7 days of Christmas competition. I’ve only limited experience of machine polishing but do think it’s a very good machine and pleased with the results I’ve achieved.
San21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart1441 View Post
On a similar note Im looking to purchase a new polisher and have been looking at the Rupes LK900

Are there any stores where I could demo a machine in the Yorkshire area? Or any alternative machines?

Sorry for the thread hijack
I'll give you my opinions on the rupes mille, and the flex 3401. I'm not biased in any way, and these are just my findings. I'm sure others will think differently.

Price first. You can pick the flex up for around 250 for the machine, whilst the rupes, is around 440 for the kit, which includes a couple of pads, backing plates, claw tool, and polishes.
The flex ideally needs the lake country backing plate system, which enables it to take a 4" pad, making it a very versatile machine.
The flex weighs slightly more, which may or may not be important to you, dependant on whether or not you're using it for long periods.
The rupes is the more smoother of the machines. It is very smooth. But the throw is smaller.....5mm compared to the flex 8mm.
The cord on the flex is 4 metres I think, compared to 9metres that the rupes has. Which means the rupes is great for walking round a car with as you don't have to drag an extension lead around with you.
To change the backing plate on the rupes there's half a dozen or so bolts to undo, the flex there is merely one.
The rupes is much more sensitive to pads than the flex. If you use non rupes pads and wind the speed up it definitely wants to walk. The flex in contrast seems happy with any pad I've used with it in the last 6-7 years.
Build quality....the flex seems to be, apart from Volvo's and cockroaches, the only thing that could survive a nuclear war. It really does feel industrial and solid...that it could do a full days polishing over and over. My personal view of the rupes is that it feels plasticky and nowhere near as solid as the flex. My views..others may disagree.

If I was just using a forced rotation machine for polishing, then I'd take the rupes. It's lighter, smoother, and these things are noticeable at my age.
However, if I was using a forced rotation for correcting paintwork then it's the flex all day long. I just can't get the rupes to correct as well as the flex. Doing a full correction on my focus a few weeks ago I went over the bonnet several times with the rupes for about two hours. Have up eventually. Got the flex out and it mullered what was left behind.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to big dave 666 For This Useful Post:
broncoupe (27-08-2019), Stuart1441 (27-08-2019), Yulee (20-09-2019)
Old 27-08-2019, 11:44 PM   #7
broncoupe
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Thanks Dave
so basically the old maestro has yet to be bettered
I have the Flex dual action as well it doesn't have that Volvo feel
Do you know where to pickup the Lake Country 4" Backing plate from
Old 27-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #8
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

[QUOTE=broncoupe;5584355]Thanks Dave
so basically the old maestro has yet to be bettered
I have the Flex dual action as well it doesn't have that Volvo feel
Do you know where to pickup the Lake Country 4" Backing plate from[/QUOT

For me yes. If I just had to have the one, flex would be it. Unfortunately I believe the LC backing plate system is no longer available new over here anymore, so either eBay, or an outside chance motorgeek may still stock it I guess.
Old 31-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
broncoupe
Washmitt Meister

Garage
My uncle to the rescue he has ordered the kit stateside and its on clearance price so winning
Old 31-08-2019, 07:14 PM   #10
big dave 666
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncoupe View Post
My uncle to the rescue he has ordered the kit stateside and its on clearance price so winning
Nice one. You've done well to get hold of it