Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > The Official DetailingWorld™ Review Section > LSP
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
91davidw
Jnr Reviewer

Detailingworld™ Review – Dodo Juice Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax

Detailingworld™ Review – Dodo Juice Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax

Introduction

Big thanks to Dom and all the crew at Dodo Juice for again sending out one of their products for review, this time it's Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax 30ml tester pot.

Dodo Juice have been making hand made car detailing products to bespoke recipes since 2007.

And now it's Refresh time. Their bringing on some new products, remaster some old favourites and rebrand, repackage and restyle so the outside is as good as what's inside.

Welcome to Dodo Juice.

www.dodojuice.net

What Dodo Juice say about Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax

'Diamonds are forever', sang Shirley Bassey. But Diamond White in a 30ml jar is only likely to last for three or four coats on an average sized car, or maybe up to nine on a classic Mini. A little wordy for Shirley, perhaps, but good information nevertheless.

Especially if you want to try Diamond White... a perfect car wax for white, light and silver coloured cars, that gives great gloss and beads water like it's coming off the back of a well-oiled duck. OK, maybe a carnauba-coated duck.

It's a great choice if you want an easily applied coating that fills minor defects and swirls on your car's paintwork and also helps to protect the finish and make it less trouble to clean. And being colour-free, it works on all colours (not just the whites and silvers we created it for).

Recoating interval? About every 2-3 months, but that's on a daily driver. On a garaged classic car used occasionally we'd probably re-wax once a year. And maybe get a finger mitt wax applicator while you are at it - they're small enough to fit into the mouth of these small jars.

Hard vs Soft Wax - which is the one for you? Whilst many of our waxes have a standard consistency, we make some of our waxes a little firmer or softer than normal. Softer waxes are easier to spread by palm or fingertips. Hard waxes often cure faster and go further, because they are less likely to be accidentally over-applied. Both contain similar amounts of carnauba and beeswax and performance will be similar. Harder waxes may cure better if you are new to waxing, so these may seem to offer more performance. And soft waxes may feel glossier due to their 'sorbet' like texture. It often comes down to personal preference - there's no right or wrong with wax texture, it just comes down to what you like.

The Product

Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax comes under the Dodo Juice Protecting & Enhancing Bodywork section.

https://dodojuice.net/collections/pr...-coloured-cars

The wax comes in a neat little cardboard presentation box in Dodo Juice rebranding logo.
Inside is the 30ml tester pot about 2" in diameter and 1" in height.
The wax is natural coloured and has a very light vanilla scent.

The Instructions

Car wax to hide minor swirls, improve gloss and protect paintwork.
Apply a thin layer to clean polish paintwork and buff when hazed.
You can layer after 30 mins.
Full curing after 24 hrs

The Method

I'm testing Diamond White to my dads car a Passat he's had from new and driven 47,000 miles, VW call the colour Silver Blue.
It has a nice silver fleck in the paint and the colour can change in the sunlight from silver to grey to light blue but it is not a flip paint.
Paintwork is in good condition but it has some light swirls and afew marks.
Car was washed, detarred, washed again, dried and ready for the wax.

Loading the pad with wax, this was about 4 wipes across the pot.

Now this is where I have to apologise to Dodo Juice and anyone reading !!!
I started applying the wax to paintwork and it was going on lovely and is easy to spread and get a nice even thin layer of wax on the paint.

But on the silver blue paint it proved impossible to catch this in a photo !!!

This is meant to be a 50/50 with the wax applied to the left side of the bonnet but in the photo you just can't see the wax !

I tried different angles everything I could think of to try get a photo.
Even heavily over applying the wax I struggled.
You can just see the front half of the wing has wax applied. I come back to this later.

With my dad laughing at me, I had to admit defeat.
I just don't have the photographic skills to capture what I wanted to show.

The only photo I got of a thin layer of wax on the front badge.

I did find the easiest way to get wax on the foam pad was to hold the pad and turn the jar upside down and turn the jar on the pad.

Dodo claim the wax could hide minor swirls, so putting it to the test on more that a minor swirl.

Wax on.

Wax off. You can see the wax does have filling abilities.

Next I moved to the black trim between the windows. Left side is waxed

With the wax polished off you can see the wax gives a much deeper reflection compared to black trim on the right.

As it was a warm evening the wax hazed quite quickly say on more than 2 mins and the thin layer of wax was very easy removed.
Now coming back to where I had heavily over applied wax to half the front wing trying to get a photo, I did find removal abit grabby on the microfibre.
This was entirely down to me and the amount of wax I applied but if you do use Diamond White wax and find it grabby to remove it's a sure fire way of knowing you used to much wax.
As Dodo say the wax can be layered I did this on the bonnet, roof and boot.
Layering the wax was even easier and only took one twist to load the foam pad with enough wax to do all these panels again and removing the wax from layering was super easy.

Dodo say 3 or 4 coats on an average sized car but I'd estimate I could wax the Passat again at least 5 more times.
The amount of wax I used from the 30ml tester pot

Now with the car finished and it was after 10pm, I called it a night and put the car in the garage.
The instructions say "Full curing after 24 hrs", I've never experienced a carnauba based wax that requires 24 hrs cure time but following the instructions the car was left.
As 24 hrs later would mean 10pm the next night, I left it until the following morning before taking the car out of the garage for final photos.

You can see how the paint looks in the bright sunlight.

Trying to catch the way Daimond White makes the silver fleck in the paint pop.

And finally, a blast with the hose.

The all important beading shot.

Price

Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax is available in 30ml and 150ml jars.
30ml = £8
150ml = £32
Prices are + postage but Dodo offer Free Postage with orders over £40

Would I use this again ?

It all comes down to the million dollar question...

Would I buy Diamond White - Carnauba Hard Wax with my own money ??

Answer is a simple Yes.

Conclusion

I'm not sure on the 24 hrs curing ( Hopefully Dodo could pop on and explain their idea for that ? )
Easy on
Easy off
Gives a nice bright finish to the paintwork.
Makes any fleck in the paint pop in the bright sun.
Layering the wax was easy and will probably help with durability.
Great water beading.
I like Dodo's idea of offering it's customers the tester pots so you can try out their waxes before deciding if you want to purchase the full size jars.

Thanks for reading.

"Detailingworld™ reviewer has followed the Manufacturers Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test"
91davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91davidw For This Useful Post:
Citromark (16-07-2021), Dodo Factory (16-07-2021)
Old 16-07-2021, 12:54 PM   #2
Dodo Factory
DW Sponsor

Thanked 4,392 Times in 1,898 Posts
The 24 hour curing is to avoid the use of solvent based products in that time - to avoid product interference. It's fine with water based products and rain within an hour or so. Waxes will outgas 90% in the first few minutes, 95% in the first hour but could take another day to fully outgas and to be as stable as you'd want a coating to be.
Dodo Factory is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodo Factory For This Useful Post:
91davidw (16-07-2021), Citromark (16-07-2021)

Tags
carnauba wax, diamond white, dodo juice, hard wax