Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 05-12-2020, 07:24 AM   #31
garage_dweller
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanco92 View Post
The problem with this, is when they proceed to hit you and ding your door, you have to accept you didn't go out of your way to stop it. You just can't win. Ask me how I know...

From experience, yes I would try to stop it! I'd be out the car, make eye contact with the intruder and maintain it... then hope for the best.

I’d have just moved my car to another space

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #32
Tykebike
PC Perfectionist

I too am sorry for you especially as you had taken the kind of steps that I do.
My recommendation would be to contact the business concerned and explain your case in a respectful way and ask if they will consider repairing it. If they won't, will they contribute? What have you got to lose
Tykebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #33
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,219 Times in 900 Posts
Quote:
Supermarkets and Councils are partially to blame as they re-size the bays to increase the number of parking spaces.
I was reading about this the other day. Bay sizes have not been re-sized since the 1970's and are around 8 feet wide. Cars have been getting wider but bays have not.

One car I read about is so wide that there is about 20cm to the bay edge.

It is true though that they have not been re-sized as that would reduce the number of parking places.
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #34
Rappy

Livid is an understatement.

I had a similar issue many, many years ago now. I feel your pain.
Rappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #35
Ant71
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy from Sandy View Post
I was reading about this the other day. Bay sizes have not been re-sized since the 1970's and are around 8 feet wide. Cars have been getting wider but bays have not.

One car I read about is so wide that there is about 20cm to the bay edge.

It is true though that they have not been re-sized as that would reduce the number of parking places.
Try finding a "safe" space for a Q7!
Ant71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #36
Marve
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek-Eddleston View Post
Supermarkets and Councils are partially to blame as they re-size the bays to increase the number of parking spaces. This doesn't excuse the stupidity of some vehicle owners and I've seen car doors literally thrown open by drivers and children without a second thought. I always use the Parent & Child spaces which are the correct size for cars, and I care more about my doors than what other people think.
Derek.
Judging by the way you have written this, you don't have kids but are using the Parent & toddler spaces.

You and people like you are scum.

We had 2 children under 2 and the amount of times my wife has been unable to get a space in the parent and toddler space at numerous supermakets is unreal. And you can guarantee that every single time I go to a supermarket, you see them being used by people without children.

And the thing is, the main point about them is not just parents have a cushty time of it. It is because when putting a child into a car seat, you have to lean in and round and put their seatbelt on SAFELY. If you can't access the back seat properly, there's a good chance that process is going to be compromised, which means in an accident, the child is at more risk than they should be.

Maybe give that a thought the next time you roll into a parent and toddler space whilst seeing a mother struggle in the regular spaces.
Marve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marve For This Useful Post:
mbarn (07-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #37
McGrath 5
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marve View Post
Judging by the way you have written this, you don't have kids but are using the Parent & toddler spaces.

You and people like you are scum.

We had 2 children under 2 and the amount of times my wife has been unable to get a space in the parent and toddler space at numerous supermakets is unreal. And you can guarantee that every single time I go to a supermarket, you see them being used by people without children.

And the thing is, the main point about them is not just parents have a cushty time of it. It is because when putting a child into a car seat, you have to lean in and round and put their seatbelt on SAFELY. If you can't access the back seat properly, there's a good chance that process is going to be compromised, which means in an accident, the child is at more risk than they should be.

Maybe give that a thought the next time you roll into a parent and toddler space whilst seeing a mother struggle in the regular spaces.

Get a grip fella,you really need a bit of anger management to be calling someone scum for parking in a parent & toddler bay. If something like this grinds your gears to that extent,you must be howling at the moon all the time.......what a plum
McGrath 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McGrath 5 For This Useful Post:
big dave 666 (07-12-2020), Tykebike (08-12-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 09:32 PM   #38
Gas head
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20vKarlos View Post
I know its not car on car, BUT...

My unit has been hit TWICE by two different vehicles. Both times I have caught the driver and the car with registration clearly visible on my CCTV.

The only way for proceedings to commence for me, was for me to report it to the police and that is it...
Police CANNOT and WILL NOT get involved, they cannot even give you the details of who the insurer is... NOTHING! even though it was a hit and run, they will not do a thing.

unless you ask that person (if you can find them) for their Insurance details and they give them to you, that's the only way you'll get a claim raised.

Your insurance company MAY and I use that word lightly, take the Reg of the car and chase its current insurer.
Is that still true?

I was under the impression that if you had just cause you can get the registered owners details via dvla, it may have changed but I know this was possible as have done this myself some years ago.
Gas head is offline   Reply With Quote