Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 08-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #211
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,364 Times in 4,996 Posts
Wow, not really sure how you managed that one mate, good to hear all okay and you’re all okay, but that must have been quite scary ....
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021), Starbuck88 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #212
nbray67
DW Superstar

Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,706 Posts
Garage
Jeez buddy.

That's not good to hear.
I've not flogged a car privately for an age now due to 'tyre kickers and boy racers' etc.... but that's some dodgy goings on right there.

Thanks for sharing it.

I'd recommend viewings in daylight only, keep the keys in your hand at all times, only you sit in the drivers seat and if there's more than one viewing, insist on them staying with you at all times as you'll need eyes in the back of your head to keep an eye on 3 scrotes.

Probably telling you now how to suck eggs but if it doesn't look right, just refuse to deal with them or pull your phone and take a pic of each guy, if they're gen, they'll allow it even if they don't like it, if not, just tell them to jog on.......from a distance!!
nbray67 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021), Cookies (08-04-2021), Starbuck88 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:22 AM   #213
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 3,940 Times in 2,576 Posts
Garage
I am so glad you and your family are OK. What an ordeal.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021), SBM (19-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 AM   #214
bluechimp

Awful to hear mate, and nice advice from Neil. Something i’d now be aware to, if I ever sold private.

Fingers crossed any further visitors are decent human beings.
bluechimp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluechimp For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021), nbray67 (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:36 AM   #215
JB052

I looked at a car for sale yesterday, and the owner had also had a similar experience. In this case it was two men, and it appears that while one distracted the owner with questions about the inside of the boot, the other probably poured oil in the expansion tank and over the exhaust.
A few minutes later they asked for a test drive and of course once the oil heated up smoke started to appear followed by accusations about a damaged engine.
The owner realised what was happening and managed to get rid of them, but still ended up paying for a rad flush and engine clean.
JB052 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JB052 For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 11:48 AM   #216
sidewalkdances
Orbital Oracle

Terrible stuff there mate but glad that you and the family are safe.

Some real swines out there these days
sidewalkdances is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sidewalkdances For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (08-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 07:43 PM   #217
Odysseus
Sponge Jockey

God what a nightmare, that sounds like an awful experience.

I recently sold my Lexus and luckily didn’t get anything like this happen but having not sold a car privately for a while it is quite nerve wracking as you’re essentially inviting strangers to your home.

Hopefully future potential buyers are not shady types and you get a good result on the sale buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Odysseus For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (12-04-2021)
Old 09-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #218
Henry_b

Thanked 1,140 Times in 628 Posts
Garage
I had something similar when selling my old Classic Rangie..

A right minter she was, unfortunately the blokes that showed up took me as a fool and started to go on an on about it having bad headgaskets and worn cam, which I knew wasn't true as I had rebuilt the engine 3k prior.. LOL

I let them have their fun and when he summerised his inspection I let slip I was a qualified Mechanic/Engineer and he was full of ****..

When I pulled a folder filled with pictures and a writeup I did when rebuilding it their jaw hit the floor, they only managed to blurt out a few words before I told 'em where to go..

Luckily I didn't let them out of my sight, especially the bloke that spent the entirety of the ordeal under the bonnet.

The con artists tend to hang around cars that are worth a fair wedge

And to be fair I'd of dragged the bloke out of my car and given him a piece of my mind if he had the cheek of taking it for a spin especially speeding off without a seatbelt,

Makes my blood boil..

Glad you're ok though!
Henry_b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henry_b For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (12-04-2021), Starbuck88 (12-04-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:13 PM   #219
c16rkc

Thanked 1,502 Times in 905 Posts
Garage
So to continue the story....

Thursday night the header tank was removed from the Audi, and flushed out over and over... and over... and over. I never thought it would be so difficult to get such a small amount of oil out!

The oil had indeed just sat on top of the water in the tank, and had collected at the top, but as the header tank is divided into segments, getting the oil out was a real pain. But after 3 hours of continuous cleaning, the tank was put back in the engine bay, and refilled. I was pleased to see nice clean water (with just the colour of the coolant) through the filled spout.

After that I just cleaned up the exhaust, checked the oil level, then took it for a 30 minute test drive. Had to put some more fuel in it, so the next owner was going to have a small bonus. No smoking from the tail pipes, so I had obviously cleaned all the oil off OK, and the car seemed to run perfectly... Phew!!

But then the chap coming to see the car on Friday, cancelled, and re-booked for Sunday. I started wondering if he would end up changing his mind, but I decided there was nothing to do but wait and see.

He kept his appointment, and on Sunday off I went to collect the chap from the train station in the Audi. I had first checked with him if he would rather I used a different car (so he could see a "cold start"). But he said it would be nice to be collected in the Audi he was buying. So off I go Sunday morning, Mask at the ready, and I am pleased the Audi drove beautifully, and I took advantage of the ice cold air on in the sunshine. Nice pleasurable 40 minute drive to pick him up, it was the perfect sunny day to show off a car.

When he gets to me, he spends little time looking at the car, but he did seem very impressed. He commented that the car was lovely. I asked if he was insured yet, and weather he wanted to drive to see if he liked the car. To my surprise he declined and asked if I would mind driving.

He was very chatty on the drive back, I learnt all about his young family and it turns out he was a year younger than me and had two kids too. He was a successful market investor, with a current career in IT (I had no idea what he was banging on about when he described it). He told me he had tens of thousands aside in Bitcoin, which he bought years ago before it climbed in value, and he also mentioned £30K aside in some other investment. He also showed me pictures of his enormous house in High Wycombe, sitting on gigantic grounds. Seemed I was sat next to a millionaire, and I was left wondering why on earth he wanted a 12 year old Audi with 150K miles on the clock, but I did not want to discourage the sale. Older cars are unpredictable, and can be a pain in the backside (the £3K I have spent in the last 12 months is proof of that), so I would have thought something much newer would have suited him, and be a much better bet for use as a family car.

Anyway... just before he left, we went to the car so I could show him how to setup the Bluetooth for Music/Phone calls. We started the car up and some ever so strange knocking occurred. It sounded like something was loose... knock, knock, knock.

He was in the drivers seat, and he gently revved the engine, presumable to hear it better, but instead of getting worse, the noise went away completely. We started/stopped the car several times, revved it, check the engine bay, under the car etc. and the noise refused to return. It is a complete mystery. But even more surprisingly, the chap still bought the car. He said he could see I was honest and had looked after the car, he thought it sounded like an exhaust mount, and would take the risk. I was ever so surprised... I seem to have the luck of the Irish recently!

So I now have just one more car to sell, my new Daimler, although I have not yet listed it as I am in two minds whether to keep it... I may get some time to give it a good detail next week and I can make up my mind!
c16rkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to c16rkc For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (12-04-2021), ColinG (12-04-2021), Henry_b (12-04-2021), Mike1982 (13-04-2021), nbray67 (12-04-2021), Odysseus (12-04-2021), Starbuck88 (13-04-2021), woodycivic (18-05-2021)
Old 12-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #220
Henry_b

Thanked 1,140 Times in 628 Posts
Garage
Great news on the sale Chris

You mention your "new daimler" apologies if i'm blind but I've seen many of Astons superb Super V8?

Do you have another X308?
Henry_b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Henry_b For This Useful Post:
c16rkc (12-04-2021)