Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 26-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
AaronGTi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,262 Times in 2,538 Posts
56k Icon My Tornado-Red VW Lupo GTI feat Black Magic Detail. Severely Oxidised! LONG ONE!!

Hi there folks

I’ve been in contact with Stevie from Black Magic Detail for a while now after he helped me do a few bits n bobs to my car incl retro fitting my mk5 Golf GTI seats & fitting my BMC carbon filter etc etc, fast forward to today; living 2 mins down the road I’m good friends with the family now which means I’ve seen loads of Stevie’s work and it’s fair to say that every car he does no matter what service the customer pays for, is done to the highest of standards.
I knew my car needed a correction badly but just kept putting it off due to other commitments like work etc.
So, I had some time off work booked, I gave him a buzz and the next day we both set to work on the car.
2002 VW Lupo GTI in Tornado-Red.
On with the detail…
Parked up, ready for the wash & decontamination process.

Generally quite clean nothing particular that we would have to spend too much time on.
Dirty wheels..

First up we started on wheels, tyres and arches..
Megs Super Degreaser and long handled brush for the arches.

Megs SD also used on the tyres via detail brush.

Maxolen Wheel Cleaner and detail brush on the wheels.

The Maxolen Wheel Cleaner made very light work of what grime there was on the wheels.
Wheels, tyres and arches rinsed off now ready to be foamed.
Snow foam of choice was Chemical Guys No-Touch SF.

This foam is excellent, clings extremely well with a not too long dwell time and most of all it cleans very well.
Rinsing..

Door shuts etc..
Here’s me lol, Megs APC was used via Megs Slide Lock and Valet Pro’s new detail brush.

Another rinse..

Time for the 2BM..

Shampoo of choice was Maxolen Wax Free Shampoo.
Excellent shampoo, very slick, soaps up well and has a great smell kinda like aftershave; very manly smell

Wash media is of course CarPro CQuartz mitt..

Rinse in clean water bucket..

Continuing around the car..

De-Tarred using Autosmart Tardis..

Rinsed, ready to be pulled inside for claying..

Clay of choice was Wolf’s Chemicals fine-Grade Clay..

After claying a few panels I made the mistake of dropping the bar on the floor DOH!!
Binned it and tore off a fresh piece and continued round the car using Megs Last Touch for lube.
A new product we decided to try was Maxolen Fallout Remover..

This was applied to the bonnet only and left to cure while I made my way round the rest of the car with the clay.
Around 10 minutes later once I had finished claying the product was removed..

Definitely felt a lot slicker to the touch, like it had been clayed but as this was the first time we had really tried to use this product we didn’t rule out claying just yet.
So I clayed the bonnet..

Safe to say the whole car had little to no contamination on as the bar was virtually contaminant free.
Next up we took some readings of the paint to see what we had to work with..

I had a shot of the gauge..

Readings were all pretty uniform averaging between 160um-190um with exceptions of the passenger side which was showing a little over 200um.
Some before shots..

The car was in the same condition all around the car suffering from severe oxidisation, swirling and a few deep scratches.
More before shots..

Decided to do some removal rates using PD8 gauge and lazer pointer.

We decided on a combination of Menzerna RD3.02 on a 3M Yellow Polishing Pad..
Maxolen Miracolo Polishing Aid used to prime the pad.

One set and correction achieved..

My self and Stevie looked at each other and thought brilliant, the paint doesn’t seem to be too hard.
Lucky if this removed 1 micron.
So we said lets carry on with this combo and see what we can achieve.
The piece on the bonnet we corrected must have been a lucky guess because on the rest of the bonnet we were getting nowhere, not as hard as we thought? HOW WRONG WERE WE!!
So I broke out the Milwaukee rotary, Lake country white wool pad and Menzerna FG500..

Look at the concentration on my face

While I continued on the bonnet Stevie started on the O/S wing..

Stevie’s combo was Menz FG500 on LC purple wool pad via Makita Rotary.
After 5 hits of this combo finally we were getting somewhere..

Not yet refined..
Moving on to the door now..

You can already see how glossy the wing looks now compared to the door..

Look how oxidised it is, I’m actually pretty embarrassed however not to worry as we decided that we would do our best and go that extra bit further and try achieve the best finish possible.
Above the handle..

Rest of the door..

Before shots of the back quarter..

So, Stevie cracked on cutting the whole of the O/S while I finished cutting the bonnet and moved on to cutting the roof using a different method; Meguiars MF pads and D300 Corrction Compound via the DAS6 PRO.

This combo was proving to be brilliant on flatter panels where I was able to apply a bit more pressure than I could with the rotary and the results were awesome.

This was after 2 hits on the N/S half of the roof, the O/S half got 2 hits of Menz FG500 on LC purple wool on the rotary then was then refined with the 3M blue finishing pad and Menzerna 106FA.
We came to the conclusion that the Megs MF system was achieving the exact same results as the rotary with the wool and FG500.
Stevie stayed on the rotary all the way through the detail as he much prefers the rotary to the DA however I was having a shot of both.
The DA system was correcting the same but with no dust and finishing down a lot better but only on the flatter panels where I could apply the pressure needed to achieve the desired correction levels.
Bonnet corrected and refined..

The bonnet wasn’t in the greatest of condition regarding stone chips and general road rash which there were massive amounts of, however we were happy after giving it 6 stages of polishing!
Moving round to the N/S that I was working on..
50/50..

I corrected the left side with the Megs DA system..
Moving on to the right side I had a go with the Rotary and LC white wool pad and Menz FG500.
This was achieving the exact same correction, 5 hits each,
Moving on to the N/S door..
Before..

After 5 hits of Megs MF..
Refined with Menz 106FA on 3M Blue via rotary.

Next I moved on to the A pillars with the rotary and 3M Green Compounding Pad and Menz FG500.

At this point in the day the sun was well and truly out, some direct sun shots of the bonnet..

Moving back round to my side of the car I had finished polishing, mostly using the DA MF system.
Just as well as I had finished using the MF pads and was going to switch back to the rotary because..

To gain any sort of correction that was gonna match the rotary I had to use extra pressure when polishing, I also used the Maxolen Miracolo Polishing Aid during sets to stop the pad clogging and this worked a treat for around 20 sets but I think this maybe helped the pad destroy it’s self with heat build-up etc and the pad being more moist, however 
Correction on N/S back quarter..

With the whole car apart from the rear cut n refined we cracked on with the boot and bumper.
Before shots..

Afters..

This was after 5 hits of LC purple wool pad with Menzerna FG500. Then refined with 3M Blue and Menzerna 106FA. I must stress that every panel on the refining stage had extra extra burnishing with good 8-10 passes to try and achieve the best finish possible and I must say the finish is amazing!!
Here’s the other side of the boot after 5 hits of LC purple wool and Menz FG500, not yet refined.. See the holograms?

Refined with 3M Blue and Menzerna 106FA..

Here are a few more correction shots via sun gun..

Moved outside for an APC foam plus engine bay..
Engine was cleaned with Megs APC and Maxolen Engine Cleaner..

Rinsing off..

Nice beading after polishing, no LSP yet..

Final rinse with 0ppm filtered water via watering can,

Taken back in to be dryed..

Time to remove polish from the gaps etc using only the best Johnsons cotton buds

AaronGTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
AaronGTi
Distinguished Detailer

Once the car was fully dried, LSP time
Blackfire AMS on the wheels, 6 months durability easily and definitely adds to the look of the rims, gives them that bit extra shine.

Next up I applied a layer of Zaino Z-2 via DA..

Left to cure for 15 minutes or so, then removed. Extremely easy to apply and removal was even easier coming off like nothing reminds me of Blackfire AFPP sealant.
Glass was cleaned with 3M..

Tyres dressed with Chemical Guys VRP..

Honeycomb grill dressed with Maxolen Blue Star A-Z using Lake Country foam detailing sticks..

Glass sealed with Maxolen Perfect Pearl sealant..

Extremely easy to apply and remove, can’t comment on durability or performance as of yet because it hasn’t rained yet since completing the detail. Which is a strange one!!
Engine bay shots..

Plastics dressed with Maxolen Blue Star A-Z, this is very good on engine bay plastics. Virtually the same as 303 Aerospace Prot. Metal parts polished with Megs NXT metal polish.
Finally a layer Zaino Z-8 Grand Finale spray sealant was added at the very end..

Detail complete time for the after shots..

There we have it 
It’s been a very long one so if you’ve stuck with it until the end thank you and hope you enjoyed it.
I had a great 4 days so big thanks to Stevie for the banter and big thanks to Joanne for feeding me
All comments welcome, thanks.
Aaron

Last edited by AaronGTi; 26-03-2012 at 11:08 AM.
The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to AaronGTi For This Useful Post:
Alan W (23-04-2012), alan_mcc (23-04-2012), Alex_225 (04-08-2013), Black Magic Detail (26-03-2012), Car Key (26-04-2012), Chris Donaldson (28-05-2019), dexx84 (13-01-2014), fitz (23-04-2012), george16930 (06-01-2014), Grawschbags (27-03-2012), Gruffs (26-03-2012), HAWKEY_SKYLINE (10-01-2014), James Bagguley (04-08-2013), jb93 (18-04-2012), Lupostef (26-03-2012), MidlandsCarCare (26-03-2012), mjd (13-05-2012), Mr A4 (13-05-2012), slineclean (06-01-2014), ted11 (24-04-2012), Tom_watts (24-04-2012), tonyy (26-03-2012), uggski (15-05-2019), whiteclio59 (06-01-2014)
Old 26-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
AaronGTi
Distinguished Detailer

Edited

Last edited by AaronGTi; 26-03-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 26-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
dhiren_motilal
Washmitt Meister

looks awesome, love how the pics do the talking. how would you rate the pad primer?
dhiren_motilal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhiren_motilal For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
DMH-01
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,811 Times in 5,068 Posts
Looks really good mate
DMH-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DMH-01 For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
ffrs1444
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
top work liking the car
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ffrs1444 For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
Grawschbags
Orbital Oracle

Good job by the both of you, and good write-up! Any more pics?

I'm about to correct my Tornado Red Golf in the not too distant future, I'm guessing the MF system performed quite well apart from the burst pad!
Grawschbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grawschbags For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
vtaylor78
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Looks fantastic, great work, and very informative write up cheers guys.
Vince.
vtaylor78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to vtaylor78 For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
steve from wath
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,895 Times in 1,925 Posts
very nice finish there
hard work from the two of you certainly paid off

now go drive it
steve from wath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve from wath For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)
Old 26-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Black Magic Detail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,336 Times in 1,110 Posts
Garage
great writeup aaron ,it was a pleasure to work with you on your car, 4 long days but worth the extra work in the end
well i have had my eyes opened after reading this writeup ,i did not know i had a bald bit
but now i do
Black Magic Detail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Magic Detail For This Useful Post:
AaronGTi (26-03-2012)