Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 30-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
c87reed
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

UP GTI Tornado Red - detail

Well this is my second UP GTI, the previous Pure White was returned to the dealer due to being damaged. I managed to source this replacement on a very good deal and so here it is.

Car arrived to my home address on Friday by transporter, having a total of 6 miles on the clock. In the flesh, the Tornado Red looks very smart and I think that based on looks, I prefer it to the Pure White. However, the benefit of the Pure White is that it is pretty low maintainance and looks great without needing a lot of time and effort which can be a bonus. We already have a different white VW UP on the drive so having one a different colour is probably a good move.

I had planned to start prepping it on Saturday morning although we had a bit of snow and so it was late afternoon by the time this cleared up. Here's how it looked:

Car was pretty clean to start with. Removed the remaining wrapping that was left on and started with a pre wash. I used Bilt Hamber Auto foam for this mixed at 4% ratio in a pump sprayer.

Pressure rinse then followed ready for a wash using the 2BM. I used a microfibre madness wash pad for this with Auto Allure Luxallure shampoo.

Once rinsed after shampooing, the car was blown dry using my Air Blaster Sidekick ready for the application of Bilt Hamber Korrosol to remove the fallout. I did get a good amount of activity but it is difficult to photograph on a red car. This was then thoroughly rinsed again using the PW.

I deliberated whether to clay the car but as I planned to machine polish I went ahead with the claying. On reflection, I really needn't have bothered as the paint did feel smooth to begin with. I did nothing with the wheels at this stage as I intended to remove them later.

I had noted a few light marks here and there: one of the worst looks to be as a result of a trade plate or similar swinging on the back bumper during transit to the dealership.

I noticed a couple of marks on the roof and so decided on a machine polish. I used a paint gauge to check the initial paint thickness, these were in the range of 115-130um around the car.

I started with my least aggressive combo of Rupes White pad and Diamond Ultra Fine, this removed the fine scratches that were present and led me to believe that the paint is on the softer side. I did note some deeper random scratches on the roof but left these rather than removing more clear coat.

The car was masked appropriately such as door handles etc and I also masked some of the more profound contours to protect the paint where vunderable to strike-through (at a later date).

Once polishing was complete, I used Bilt Hamber Cleanser Fluid to prep the paint for LSP. I decided to use Carpro Reload for this, it is a product that I haven't used previously but it's been in the garage for a while and I knew that it would be much quicker than waxing. It went on really easily and added a noticeable slickness to the paint. I used a longer pile MF to remove any light streaks but it was trouble-free to use. Another product that I've had for some time is Sonax BSD, and so I topped it off with some BSD. I have read that it can be a bit fussy but it went on and buffed off really easily, but it may have been helped that the paint was really slick so it had no problem spreading and buffing up.

I used Swissvax Seal feed on the window seals. I then moved onto the glass which was treated with Gtechniq G1. As the glass was new, I used some Carpro Eraser to remove the factory chalk marks and also went over the entire glass with Auto Finesse Crystal; I've used this same method before and seems to work out fine. I gave the screen 3 coats and the rest of the glass 2 coats. I layered on top of the previous coat without removing (which I think is the correct way) and it seems to perform and last well. To remove the residue, I tend to use a cotton pad with the G2 remover before buffing off with Auto Finesse Crystal.

The black exterior trim was treated using Carpro Dlux on a cotton pad, an easily product to use and has performed well in the past on other vehicles. I also treated the head and tail lights before buffing off with the suede cloth.

After the above, I finished up with the wheels. Once off the car, I gave them a treatment of BH Auto wheels, but there wasn't any real trace of fallout which I suppose is expected.

I again used the 2BM and Luxallure to clean the rims. Once rinsed, they were blown dry and I used the Carpro Reload for the entire rim. I had planned to use Gtechniq C5, but I knew that I wouldn't be able to keep them dry for 12 hours after application. Secondly, it is likely that I'll be running winter wheels and so they'll be off soon enough anyway. Tyres were finished off with Auto Finesse Satin.

Whilst the wheels were off, I covered the disc brakes and calipers with cling film and coated the components and axle etc with Bilt Hamber Dynax UC. Prior to refitting, the hubs were treated to a smear of copper grease to aid future removal.

Once I'd finished, the weather didn't hold up for long. But here it is anyhow:

[IMG][/IMG]
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to c87reed For This Useful Post:
chris.t (31-10-2018), daydotz (04-11-2018), Jack R (04-11-2018), Karl woods (31-10-2018), LostVulpine (31-10-2018), Streeto (10-11-2018), todds (01-11-2018), Tuddie (01-11-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
matty.13
Orbital Oracle

Great job . Nice car aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
matty.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to matty.13 For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
Steve_6R
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Great work, these are cracking looking motors!
Steve_6R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_6R For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 07:20 AM   #4
RicardoB
Washmitt Meister

Nice work. Still not seen one of these on the roads - Need to get out more! Looks great.
RicardoB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RicardoB For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 07:24 AM   #5
AudiPhil
Orbital Oracle

Garage
That looks great! Well done.
AudiPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AudiPhil For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 08:28 AM   #6
bazz

Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,657 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to bazz
great job and nice looking car
bazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bazz For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #7
Jack

Nice looking car, good work.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #8
andy665

Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,953 Posts
Great little car - for most people for most of the time its all the car you'd ever need
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)
Old 31-10-2018, 07:03 PM   #9
c87reed

They are good fun to drive, and strike a good balance between fun and low running costs. My insurance was only £157, and is roughly half what I paid on my old ST. Mpg is easily in the 50s, and doesn't drop too far below that when pressing on. They definitely feel pokier to drive than the figures would suggest, and it's a lot more useable power than the likes of some rapid hatches on the market.

Some owners think that the damping is a weak point of the car, it certainly isn't bad for the price point but I've got a set of Eibach pro street s coilovers on the way, I only plan on lowering it by a minimal amount when fitting but some improved components will sharpen it up further.

Last edited by c87reed; 31-10-2018 at 07:08 PM.
c87reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 07:07 PM   #10
robwils
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Looks great, well done for keeping going in this weather too
robwils is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robwils For This Useful Post:
c87reed (31-10-2018)