Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
B8sy
Washmitt Meister

Warranty advice needed

Hi all,

Looking for thoughts/advice please...

My wife's car was purchased back in August, it's a 67 plate peugeot 3008 1.6thp auto. Quite quickly after getting the car I noticed a cold start rattle. Spoke to the independent dealer we bought from and he advised he can either take the car and send it to his local Peugeot dealer to investigate or I could take it to my local one as the car was still under warranty.

I took to my local dealer, they had a look, updated the software and said that should sort it but if not I need to leave it till it gets worse as its not bad enough to diagnose.

Since then I've moved house and have a new local Peugeot dealer to visit. The car has become far more consistent at producing this rattle so it went back in. They had a look and said could be turbo but I need to leave it till it gets worse. I contacted Peugeot customer care and told them Im not happy as the car is now coming out of warranty. So they spoke to local dealer and agreed to do further investigation to find the issue and that would be free of charge.

Today they've said the cam followers are tapping on cold start and it's not going to make the car suddenly break down and is within acceptable tollerance but should I want it fixing now then customer care has agreed to pay 50% of a (drum roll) £1600 Bill.

What would you do next, who would you speak to? My understanding is because the issue was first reported whilst under warranty then they have to fix it free of charge but I want to make sure I've thought of every angle they can try and get out of this one before I have to make the hard phone calls/potential arguments to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance for reading and posting!

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
B8sy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
Zebra
PC Perfectionist

Sorry to hear about your problems.

Are you a member of the AA or RAC?

If so, the AA especially, has a very good legal advice section. They gave me excellent advice when I had to reject a car under the Supply of Goods Act.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like all models like your car have got this issue and the response you have been given is what the dealer has been told to tell customers by the manufacturer, when a complaint is raised.

Alternatively, a change of engine oil, of the correct grade, by something like Castrol, preceded by the use of a good quality flushing oil, might result in the engine being quieter. I know this sounds like back to basics but I'd be trying this, even if you don't want to go down the £1500 route.

Last edited by Zebra; 07-01-2021 at 08:20 PM.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post:
B8sy (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:21 PM   #3
B8sy
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
Sorry to hear about your problems.

Are you a member of the AA or RAC?

If so, the AA especially, has a very good legal advice section. They gave me excellent advice when I had to reject a car under the Supply of Goods Act.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like all models like your car have got this issue and the response you have been given is what the dealer has been told to tell customers by the manufacturer, when a complaint is raised.

Alternatively, a change of engine oil, of the correct grade, by something like Castrol, preceded by the use of a good quality flushing oil, might result in the engine being quieter. I know this sounds like back to basics but I'd be trying this, even if you don't want to go down the £1500 route.
Unfortunately I'm not a member of either.

I've been thinking I might email Peugeot customer care and start polite and play a bit dumb. Tell them I've been advised whilst the car is out of warranty the issue is under warranty as it was reported within the warranty so can they confirm they are paying in full. If they say no I'll highlight I'm within my legal rights for a free repair, etc.

I had to fight so hard to get the latest investigation done free of charge that I've stressed myself out a bit anticipating a big argument.

Thank you

Old 07-01-2021, 09:23 PM   #4
ridders66
PC Perfectionist

As you have had the car into a main dealer whilst still in warranty, this is covered under the warranty. They are trying it on. Speak to your local Citizens advice centre.
ridders66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridders66 For This Useful Post:
B8sy (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 09:40 PM   #5
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,594 Posts
Garage
Not sure if its the same engine but the Mini Cooper S R56 had a 1.6 THP engine which was a PSA unit. They were known for timing chain problems..... search 'mini rattle of death'
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
packard
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

What exact warranty came from the independent dealer - or was it sold with “remains of manufacture warranty”

Was any mention of the “rattle” recorded in any formal paper work though this, and how soon after was it days/weeks?
packard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:14 PM   #7
B8sy
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
Not sure if its the same engine but the Mini Cooper S R56 had a 1.6 THP engine which was a PSA unit. They were known for timing chain problems..... search 'mini rattle of death'
It is the same engine but they've checked the chain and tensioner and ruled that out. The rattle lasts a bit too long as well, a good minute or two for the oil pressure to increase before the noise dies down.

The Following User Says Thank You to B8sy For This Useful Post:
Christian6984 (07-01-2021)
Old 07-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #8
B8sy
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by packard View Post
What exact warranty came from the independent dealer - or was it sold with “remains of manufacture warranty”

Was any mention of the “rattle” recorded in any formal paper work though this, and how soon after was it days/weeks?
Remaining dealer warranty which it went in 2 months before it expired. It also came with 12 months platinum rac but I stupidly didn't read the paperwork in full and found out that the car should have had an rac inspection at the start of the warranty which meant I invalidated it immediately.