Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > The Official DetailingWorld™ Review Section > Wheels / Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30-03-2019, 02:12 AM   #1
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,629 Times in 2,382 Posts
Detailingworld™ Review - Sam's Detailing Wheel Soap

Introduction

First off a thank you to the guys over at Sam’s Detailing for sending out several wheel cleaning specific products for review. I will be starting off with Sam’s Wheel Soap and assessing whether it can replace the typical alkaline based wheel cleaners we all know and love for routine wheel cleaning.

For any additional info out with this review, please visit https://www.samsdetailing.co.uk/.

The Product

Sam’s Wheel Soap comes in a rather smart looking 500ml black bottle with textured matte black labelling. It results in a very sleek looking bit of packaging.

A brief read of the labeling showed all the usual information you would expect such as product description, dilution recommendations and instructions for use. The liquid within is of a yellow tinge and has (I think) a pleasant fruity scent (which turned out to be Vanilla!).

Sam’s description is as follows:

‘Our Wheel Soap allows you to have a strong shampoo that is dedicated just for your wheel bucket. It generates a huge amount of lather so you have that extra working time to detail your alloys.

- Dedicated soap for your wheel bucket
- Generates a huge amount of lather for your accessories which allows extra
working time
- pH Neutral
- Vanilla scented
- One squirt for your bucket is all that is needed
- Suited to all wheel finishes’

I will be honest I have always had my doubts about the need for a wheel specific shampoo. Can one of these wheel specific shampoos really be that much more aggressive than a typical bodywork shampoo… I have never been convinced and going into this review I was skeptical (but hopeful) of the results.

The Method

My A45 was in real need of a maintenance wash, especially with the extremely wet weather we have been getting over the last few weeks. The alloys were filthy and should provide a real stern test of cleaning ability for the wheel soap.

After setting up all my kit and filling my wheel bucket up with warm water, as there was no specific dosage stated other than 1-2 capfuls, I added 25ml of Wheel Soap to the bucket before mixing with the pressure washer. The soap stays true to its description and suds up very well.

The wheels, arches and tyre sidewalls were pressure rinsed down firstly, followed by some APC and agitation to remove all the dirt/grime attached to the tyre.

The brown foam was rinsed off leaving nice clean sidewalls. With this complete it was now time to tackle the alloy. I worked my way from front to back (face, spokes, back of spokes, wheel barrels then caliper) using only the Wheel Soap shampoo and various brushes as my cleaning agent.

The soap foamed up really well and showed pretty good cleaning ability with plenty of dirt being dragged away in the thick lather of foam. It is worth noting that it struggled to shift the dirt on the calipers and my APC of choice had to be called in to deal with this.

The wheel was then rinsed and allowed to dry naturally so I could better judge the cleaning performance. This ended up as a mixed bag of results sadly.

As you can see initial inspection of the alloy showed clean faces and spokes, I was impressed at this point. Once I got in closer to the alloy though and further inspected the barrels I was disappointed to see quite a lot of dirt that wasn't shifted.

I gave it a swipe to confirm it was definitely loosely bonded dirt.

I was happy with the results on the alloy face and spokes (protected!) but on the barrels and caliper I must admit I wasn't impressed and went over again with some 1:20 wheel cleaner.

Price

This 500ml bottle of Sam's Wheel Soap comes in at just £8.50 per bottle. This is the only bottle size available at time of writing. If 25ml per wash is used then this would provide 20 washes.

8.50/20 = 42.5p per wash. I think the value is fairly decent and at 42.5p per wash won't break the bank. A larger 1L or even 5l bottle would further reduce this.

If you are interested in the product the below link will take you direct to the Wheel Soap on the Sam's Detailing website:

https://www.samsdetailing.co.uk/product/wheel-soap/

Would I use it again?

For me I think my skepticism was proven partially correct for my own personal circumstances. No it doesn't clean as well as my usual 1:20 diluted alkaline cleaner and due to this, I wouldn't use Wheel Soap again on it's own but please let me explain further.

On the surfaces of my own alloys that were well protected, Wheel Soap performed considerably better than what it did on the calipers & alloy barrels. I think if your alloys were fully coated in some form of wheel ceramic, Sam's Wheel Soap would be more than enough to keep your alloys looking good and also to maintain the ceramic coat.

Conclusion

Sam's Wheel Soap is a product that would excel I think, on well maintained and protected alloy wheels. It smells good, it suds well and it also transfers these brilliant suds onto the alloys when agitated which aids in dragging the dirt safely off the wheels.

Personally though and for anyone else with wheels that are not ceramic coated fully, I do not think Sam's Wheel Soap is potent enough to rid the alloys fully of dirt/grime. For this reason I would have to stick with a highly diluted alkaline cleaner as it better suits my own requirements. Regardless of this in the right situations I can see how Sam's Wheel Soap would be a useful product.

Thanks for reading guys and feel free to ask any questions.

DW reviewer has followed the Manufacturer’s Instructions and accepts no responsibility to any circumstances arising from any member using these products or following this test.

Last edited by Brian1612; 30-03-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Citromark (30-03-2019), Cookies (30-03-2019), dchapman88 (30-03-2019), fred-the-red (30-03-2019)
Old 30-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,950 Times in 4,207 Posts
Garage
Great, honest review, Brian.

Can I just say that your wash bucket is the detailing equivalent of a one-man band.

Cheers

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (30-03-2019)
Old 30-03-2019, 10:08 AM   #3
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,629 Times in 2,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Great, honest review, Brian.

Can I just say that your wash bucket is the detailing equivalent of a one-man band.

Cheers

Cooks

Thank you mate.

I really need to invest in a bigger bucket

Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (30-03-2019)

Tags
sams detailing, wheel shampoo