Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone > New ICE / Car Audio Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
BigJimmyBovine
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

New Stereo

So we're keeping the wife's car, it has a basic stereo fitted but she wants hands free audio and iPod/iPhone control for her music. Dab would be nice if possible too. Budget of £100, so any recommendations?

Thanks, James
BigJimmyBovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Arvi
Orbital Oracle

I've got the Parrot MK9200 ( was around £130) and have been very happy with it.

Streams from iphone for music/bluetooth hands free or you can connect to cable for music. It comes with the old (16?) pin apple connector so depending on if you want to hard wire connect an old iphone/ipod you may need a lightening adapter or you can just use the USB input or aux - all 3 cables are included.

For DAB within your budget I think you would need to install a new head unit with bluetooth DAB facilities..
Arvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
BigJimmyBovine

Did some looking around last night and dropped the idea of DAB due to having to mess around with some kind of new aerial or splitter cable. We will be looking at a new head unit rather than some kind of add in to her existing unit too.

Because it's a Yaris we need a massive fascia adaptor at £28 which doesn't help.

I've found a few units, an Inphase thing that looks a bit plain and will hopefully look more oem at £50. It has some bad reviews, it needs turning on manually every time you start the car which she doesn't mind and also the operation is apparently confusing even with the instructions, I haven't found a copy of the instructions either. It's also slightly larger than double din according to a few people but not others.

Also a JVC, it's got lights everywhere and looks like some chavvy Halfords thing at £102. I've managed to have a read of the manual and operation is straight forward, the lights can also be adjusted for colour and brightness so hopefully I can match it in to the dash. It also allows her to operate her phone by voice, I figured this would be the safest way to select and play music on the move.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
Natalie
Crisp Eater

Thanked 2,894 Times in 2,139 Posts
Garage
I had this one (I think - looks the same but can't remember the exact model no.) in my old Polo http://www.halfords.com/technology/c...0dab-car-radio

It was pretty decent, just needs the DAB windscreen aerial which aren't too expensive.
Natalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:46 AM   #5
BigJimmyBovine

The problem with the single din units is she needs a fascia adaptor and then a single din adaptor to go in that.

How was reception with the screen aerial Natalie? I've read everything from non existent through to some guy who had it inside his plastic bumper and said it was perfect.
Old 04-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Natalie
Crisp Eater

Garage
Reception was okay but I live in an area where DAB signal is hit and miss anyway - I have the same problem in my Golf which was professionally fitted and my new Polo which comes with DAB as standard.
If it's DAB+ then if you're listening to a station that also has an FM frequency in your area then it'll switch between the two if DAB reception drops.

This is the one I have in my Golf which is over budget unfortunately Pioneer AVH-X2700BT 6.2-Inch Touchscreen... Pioneer AVH-X2700BT 6.2-Inch Touchscreen...
Seems expensive for the adapter, is that ebay?
Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
BigJimmyBovine

That's the cheapest for the fascia, it's coming up as an RRP of £59.99! It does go the full height of the dash though and comes in three parts, hers is silver and black but the full black is cheaper by £5.

That unit looks decent but like you said way out of budget.

We split our time between our Home and Lincolnshire where her Mum lives, if DAB reception is only ok maybe it's worth doing a cheap non DAB upgrade for now and then looking into saving and buying a better unit and aerial as prices come down in the future.

I'm also investigation a Parrot like in Arvi's reply, not sure she will be so keen on another unit though.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #8
Natalie
Crisp Eater

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmyBovine View Post
That's the cheapest for the fascia, it's coming up as an RRP of £59.99! It does go the full height of the dash though and comes in three parts, hers is silver and black but the full black is cheaper by £5.

That unit looks decent but like you said way out of budget.

We split our time between our Home and Lincolnshire where her Mum lives, if DAB reception is only ok maybe it's worth doing a cheap non DAB upgrade for now and then looking into saving and buying a better unit and aerial as prices come down in the future.

I'm also investigation a Parrot like in Arvi's reply, not sure she will be so keen on another unit though.
That's the problem with modern cars I guess and replacing the HU

I'm in North Lincolnshire and it seems to drop depending where I am, full signal at home a few yards down the road and there's nothing. Most of the time it's fine The BBC stations seem to be alright but stuff like Absolute 90s and Radio X can be stroppy
Old 04-02-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
ffrs1444

Garage
remember the wiring adapter, steering wheel controls, Ariel , facial that all adds up before you bought it
i would look on ebay for a second hand pioneer/alpine/jvc
ffrs1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
BigJimmyBovine

Wiring is £2.28, fascia £27 then that leaves £100 for head unit. I had a quick look at eBay but so many of the universal no name makes came up I got frustrated!