Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Showroom Detailed something and want to show it off? Do it here... This is the place for you to show the world....

Old 23-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
PeteG
Sponge Jockey

Petroleum Jelly Tar Removal...After a Good Clean

The car was looking a little on the dirty side, so yesterday I spent a few hours cleaning the interior. So handy using a brush and being able to get in the
awkward places including inside the car seat rails...Today was body work, the build up to using the DA polisher for the first time.
I repeated the steps I did last week, a good blast with pressure washer, followed by a general purpose cleaner, another blast all round, and then on to the
Snow Foam before the two bucket wash...

Yesterday I ordered a Karcher VP 160S, what a huge difference that made being able to get under the wheel arches and sills, and having a narrow drive,
being able to move round the car with ease...All I need now is to get rid of the Karcher hose and I'll be a happy bunny...

After the mistake I made last week with the snow foam, using 200 ML and 800 ML of water, this week I only used 20 ML, and managed to cover the hole car.
A BIG thank you for the advice received...It was a little thicker than it looks on the piccy but I couldn't find my phone to take a snap...

During a tea break and deciding what to do about all the Tar, I noticed the jar of Petroleum Jelly I'd left on the potting bench last night. We use to grease the pole on the bird feeder to keep the squirrel off...Anway, I grabbed a MF cloth and put a dab of the jelly on a tar spot, left it a few minutes and the gave it a gentle rub. No more tar...
On close inspection, the drivers door has dozens of little tar spots all over, something I wouldn't have really noticed in the past. I set to work seeing how many I could remove, and admittedly I was quite pleased with the result, but after an hour or so and having removed about 80% on the door, I lost the will to live...I know it needs doing, but I haven't looked at the rest of the body work yet, so I'm really hoping my door has the worst of it!

Before...

After...

I think there's a fair it of work to be done before I get anywhere near the polisher. This morning I had hoped to have a go using the Clay Bar, but I'll need a little more patience

At least the car looked shiny when I picked our lass up from work

Last edited by PeteG; 25-08-2019 at 10:55 AM.
PeteG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteG For This Useful Post:
johny555ive (23-08-2019)
Old 24-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #2
PeteG
Sponge Jockey

I got to thinking last night that the Petroleum Jelly I used was quite a few years old, so picked up a fresh jar from the pound shop this afternoon, just in case.
And it worked a treat, didn't take as much elbow power as yesterday, although I did give the fresh batch a few minutes extra to get a grip...

I put a good blob of jelly on all the spots of tar I could see, but had to get down on my hands and knees to see the really small spots...
After a gentle rub I gave it a blast with some Elbow Grease, brilliant stuff that it is and I'm so glad I came across it on DW

My £2.00 Tar removal kit

Last edited by PeteG; 25-08-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Gas head
Washmitt Meister

I like that idea using petroleum jelly may be some of the detailing product manufacturers can tweak the idea/formulation and make a thicker tar remover?
Gas head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #4
Itstony
Orbital Oracle

PetG.
Great enthusiasm and it's good to see feedback, there should be more of this.

Hope you don't mind some tips?
Use this to resize your pic's to an acceptable size. https://imgur.com It's pretty good.
Also, try and post in the correct section to post.
It's OK, most new guys do this and hardly anyone helps to remind them.
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #5
PeteG
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas head View Post
I like that idea using petroleum jelly may be some of the detailing product manufacturers can tweak the idea/formulation and make a thicker tar remover?
The cheapo pound shop one works a treat and but had me thinking a known brand might work quicker. Saying that, the one I bought for a £1.00 is £5.60 on Amazon!
I think a car product retailer would put it in fancy packaging and charge a tenner for it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Click-Medic...c=1&th=1&psc=1
Old 25-08-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
PeteG
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstony View Post
PetG.
Great enthusiasm and it's good to see feedback, there should be more of this.

Hope you don't mind some tips?
Use this to resize your pic's to an acceptable size. https://imgur.com It's pretty good.
Also, try and post in the correct section to post.
It's OK, most new guys do this and hardly anyone helps to remind them.

Appreciated Tony I hadn't paid any attention to re-sizing on imgur, but I've sorted them now, looks much better doesn't it

Which section would you have put this post in? I had a post moved last week
and haven't a clue where it ended up. It was for a bag of MF cloths from Home Bargains 20 for £4.00...
Old 25-08-2019, 11:34 AM   #7
-Kev-

Thanked 8,875 Times in 6,998 Posts
Garage
You can easily find any threads you've posted in your user profile
-Kev- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to -Kev- For This Useful Post:
PeteG (25-08-2019)
Old 25-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
PeteG
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kev- View Post
You can easily find any threads you've posted in your user profile

That's where it is...I've been looking in "User CP" Can't see the post on MF cloths, may be it's disspeared in to the ether
Old 25-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Exotica
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,246 Times in 729 Posts
I just use petrol or diesel in a chemical sprayer.
Exotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Itstony
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteG View Post
Appreciated Tony I hadn't paid any attention to re-sizing on imgur, but I've sorted them now, looks much better doesn't it

Which section would you have put this post in? I had a post moved last week
and haven't a clue where it ended up. It was for a bag of MF cloths from Home Bargains 20 for £4.00...
Imgur is good, just upload and then use the BCC link I think to copy, hat's after selecting a size for example Large Thumbnail then paste in your comment box and preview to check. I've norsed that up a few times myself But you can always go back and edit anytime.

As this one title is removing Tar removing it would have been in Pre wash etc. normally.

It would help if members reminded you before replying, but they don't seem to bother too. I know I would appreciate being told before the Mod's moved it. Think its happened to all of us at one time. Not a big issue, but chat does abused.

MF threads should go in Detailing Products section, last on the list which has Micro fibre in the title.
Itstony is offline   Reply With Quote