Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

View Poll Results: Did you find these videos useful?
Yes 10 83.33%
No 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #21
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspal View Post
sounds like a lot of Willy waving so you been watching
If it sounds like, how could I have been watching
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #22
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenF View Post
Others come on and give it large then when push comes to shove they back off. This isn't a willy wave contest. This is to see whether proper training and experience outstrips YouTube videos.
Sort of put your money where your mouth is.
I can post 10000 videos ripped from YouTube. Or I can answer things honestly and frankly.
It upsets a few it gives the mods a headache. But i can answer nigh on any problematic question relating to cleaning a motor giving the easiest solution to the problem that a give year old could carry out.

The fact I often choose sarcasm to answer a question is because it's so basic that if you couldn't work it out you shouldn't be doing it
I appreciate some of the questions asked by many are quite frankly cringe worthy, and I think, well that's going to end in tears, lol.

But you still seem to ignore the fact that the majority of people on here are here because it is their hobby! If people are on here are happy getting info from YouTube videos then give it a go so be it. If they mess it up they've only got themselves to blame.

I like some tutorials on YouTube they've got their place, no you can't learn everything from a video, it's like the modern day text book magazine article etc.

You might not like them, others do. That's life.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavieB For This Useful Post:
mattjk88 (11-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:17 PM   #23
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,833 Times in 2,009 Posts
Garage
I don't ignore the fact at all.
I dispair at some of these videos that make something seem so easy ( it always is when someone else is doing it) The problem is although it's people's hobby they watch a video then rather than practice it on scrap go straight of the high board into the deep and.
It the others that watch a video learn it does for word and voila instant expert.
A cookbook doesn't make you a chat. Not does watching nigella Lawson for a few hours ( mmmmmmm nice viewing though)
Old 07-01-2016, 11:23 PM   #24
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,086 Times in 3,303 Posts
Quote:
I don't ignore the fact at all.
I dispair at some of these videos that make something seem so easy ( it always is when someone else is doing it) The problem is although it's people's hobby they watch a video then rather than practice it on scrap go straight of the high board into the deep and.
It the others that watch a video learn it does for word and voila instant expert.
A cookbook doesn't make you a chat. Not does watching nigella Lawson for a few hours ( mmmmmmm nice viewing though)
we all know what you're looking at Nigella Lawson's cleverage.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:24 PM   #25
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
No it was her lovely cream pie and the hours of preparation
Old 07-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #26
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,086 Times in 3,303 Posts
Quote:
No it was her lovely cream pie and the hours of preparation
you bugger.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #27
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
What. .????????????
Old 08-01-2016, 12:09 AM   #28
DavieB
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Of course the video makes it look easy, they know what they are doing, or at least you hope so! But you're right you'd be nieve to try something like wet sanding on your pride and joy having just watched a video.
Restoring headlights is a great example of a useful video for some, especially if it's yellowed to the point of MOT failure, just remove it from the car give it a go, if they mess it up they can always get a new light unit which is what the garage would stick in anyway.
Your example of using a cook book doesn't make you a chef was, lol, no it doesn't ....but it sure will tell you how to make a lasagne, do what is says and voila you have a lasagne. just goes to show how long people have been relying on institutions to do simple tasks. Can you believe there is a shaving section on here, I mean people ask about shaving technique on a forum, and there are videos too! My dad showered me how to shave a long time ago with a brush and a DE razor, who knew they would come back into fashion and younger people would need to know how to use them.
Watching the videos won't make you a detailer but they are interesting to watch and help understand what goes into a process, the quality of the videos varies highly too. The video the OP posted was more a demonstration of what can be achieved. I mean they had a multi layer paint gauge £££s, a variety of specific tools and already stated if they mess up it doesn't matter as the owner was going to have it resprayed anyway. Some will watch it and think, I'll give it a go some will have good results others not, others will think wow nice results, but it's not for me....and some will think yeah I'll give it a go and ask lots of nieve questions, I might chuckle to myself and you'll offer some of your wisdom or offer a sarcastic comment (as you see fit) se la vie.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 AM   #29
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
I watched a video on shaving.
I'm now a woman.
They didn't tell me that bit
I hate videos
Old 08-01-2016, 09:26 PM   #30
Floyd
Washmitt Meister

Lol accept a challenge to get a bunch of people to vote for their own cliques. LOL

Come on, the only fair challenge would be in person, cars next to each other for a panel of actual judges to give the 1st and 2nd spots, not keyboard warriors on a forum......say in a waxstock environment.
Closed Thread

Tags
ammonyc, jason rose, kevin brown, wet sanding