Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 20-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
asspur96
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Spent the Morning at AG for the Detailingwold open day and was very impressed with products as with others I have been using there products for many years when all I did was clean my car along with turtle wax and any other products available from Halfords.

Then discovered this website few years ago when looking around and wanting details on machine polishing and opened a whole world of products and brands.

however what has been made obvious is that there can be an element of more expense = better or if you have the latest wax / fallout remover / Clay / polish / glass cleaner it will do a better / easier job. So I think we will all have extra kit that we have bought to try !!

I found with AG products SRP is great when used correctly giving fantastic results prefer the MEG Endurance tyre gel as I prefer the finish that is not to say that AG version is worse my preference. And because of the website here have added some product and tools that are better and found others that are not.

The one thing that is apparent on here is that you will get MANY different views
asspur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to asspur96 For This Useful Post:
ed87 (20-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #22
justina3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Send a message via MSN to justina3
I still run with megs 105/205 great combo but when it runs out i think i will move over to scholl as i use a lot of there kit and i get on well with it.

so to answer the question in brief, it would be megs
justina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #23
max1805
Washmitt Meister

All very different responses, but I suppose that's to be expected 👍 It seems that if it were between only the two brands, a mixture works best judging by most people's comments. I've been using a lot of the AG Pro range too myself as I don't regard myself as a detailer, just someone who enjoys a spotless car! In my personal experience I tend to find that with Autoglym Waxes (Aqua Wax and HD Wax) I get a funny oil hologram from the product when using on my black paint - bearing in mind I'm making sure I'm using 5 good quality microfibres to remove the product so I know it's not that - but then I don't have this issue with Meguiars Waxes / Sealents. Having said all that, for everything else I prefer Autoglym (besides the tyre dressing).

I see a lot of professional Valeters in the UK using Autoglym so it inspires me to get great results from their products because I've seen it done.
max1805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #24
justina3

Send a message via MSN to justina3
if it works for you crack on, this industry has a lot of fashion swings and i found out many moons ago what often was the latest craze wasnt always better than what i already had on the shelf
justina3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justina3 For This Useful Post:
max1805 (20-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #25
IamDave
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Personally I had virtually every AG product under the sun and loved using them I recently moved to a different brand purely because of what was applied to my car and wanting to use 'compatible' products with it.

Had I not got this done I would've more than likely still stuck with autoglym as I personally found them to be rather good. Again though I'm not a Detailer!
IamDave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IamDave For This Useful Post:
max1805 (20-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #26
bjarvis2785
Orbital Oracle

Can't fault a few of the products from each range really... AG SRP & EGP should be a staple for any new starter IMO.
I also have a good time with AG Aqua Wax and Fast Glass.

Megs NXT Metal Polish is in my kit, along with copious amounts of Last Touch.

There's good products from each brand that will mix in nicely with other products from a wider range of brands.
bjarvis2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bjarvis2785 For This Useful Post:
max1805 (21-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #27
GleemSpray

Thanked 2,536 Times in 1,716 Posts
Have only used AG out of the two and think their products are very good, but would be more than happy to use Meguirs products as they have such a strong reputation.

I agree with the earlier statement that products do go in and out of fashion and some people believe that newer or more expensive automatically = "Better".
GleemSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GleemSpray For This Useful Post:
max1805 (21-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #28
chrisgreen

Thanked 1,050 Times in 716 Posts
Garage
Have long been a Megs fan. While my Arsenal is very varied (everything in my bag from Auto Finesse to Zaino), there have always been a consistent set of Megs products that I still use including (bit not limited to) Endurance Tyre Gel, Ultimate Compound, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Wash & Wax Anywhere, Scrarch X, Gold Class shampoo.

AutoGlym on the other hand, while the products are not bad, the only one I have ever really liked was SRP, and there are much better filler polishes out there that I have since moved on to.
chrisgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisgreen For This Useful Post:
max1805 (21-02-2016)
Old 20-02-2016, 07:51 PM   #29
Soul boy 68
DW's car of the day man & Moderator

Thanked 7,071 Times in 4,784 Posts
Garage
Meguires for me, used to use Autoglym years ago and although they still hold their own in a very competitive market, I think the competition has caught up.
Soul boy 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 10:11 PM   #30
Guitarjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul boy 68 View Post
Meguires for me, used to use Autoglym years ago and although they still hold their own in a very competitive market, I think the competition has caught up.
I think you are right here. Others have just caught up to autoglym and now they are in the backwash of halfords car cleaning essentials. I've always said I'm not loyal to any one brand. It's rediculous the amount of car cleaning manufacturers there are for what I'd call a fairly niche market (most people being happy with a £5 hand car wash)

I first got into detailing after I bought an autoglym set from halfords with some Christmas money I bought many years ago. It came in a nice red kit bag and was a good variety. From then on I was introduced into what good chemicals could do to clean and finish a car. For a long time I was never a very big fan of the tyre shine stuff until i experimented with the application and it came from being a poor performer to a decent one I'd still buy. Here's the snag, I prefer the glossier finish of megs endurance gel.

I've bought plenty of meguiars stuff and still find their quick detailer one of the best. While others love 105 and 205 I've since found other polishes I like. Although 205 will always be a favourite of mine.

I think autosmart get a better reputation than they deserve. Don't get me wrong, price wise is spot on and I've always had fantastic service from my local autosmart franchise. I've found one or two of their products a bit of a let down. I can't say I've had many let downs from meguiars or autoglym. Another good thing is that autosmart do always seem to bring out new products which you don't see as often from autoglym.

I think if you take a bit of each of the 3 brands I've mentioned in my post you'll manage to do a good job if you use the products correctly. At the same time, what ever products used can still not be effective in the wrong hands. I'm ot bragging but I often relate to my neighbour washing his car with all sorts. He makes a right mess of it yet he wonders why mine/ wifes etc always looks so good.
Guitarjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Guitarjon For This Useful Post:
max1805 (21-02-2016), Soul boy 68 (21-02-2016), todds (25-12-2016), turbom (22-02-2016)

Tags
autoglym, meguiars