Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by ValetPRO - ValetPRO was founded in 2005. We are a UK based company and manufacture our products from ValetPRO HQ in Newhaven, East Sussex. Our vision at ValetPRO is to produce the highest quality car care products and to be the trusted brand of choice for retailers, professional detailers and car care enthusiasts everywhere. We value creativity and are constantly looking for new ways to improve our existing products or develop new ones. We are on hand to provide expert advice on our products and we are always happy to hear about your experience from using any of the ValetPRO range and receiving any feedback that you may have.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15-05-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
RayofHope
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curb Rash

Recently I left three wheel rims in for a curb rash repair at a cost of €130 a wheel. The wheels are a diamond cut alloy. A great job was done and they looked like new again.

Unfortunately I've gone and damaged two wheel rims again. They are low profile wheels and one was damaged going up on a curb and the other getting out of a tight underground car park. I feel like a right prat!!!

I've seen a few YouTube videos on repairing them yourself. My question is - should I attempt this myself or bring them back to the professional (with head down)??

Can anyone recommend any other self repair videos?

Regards,

Ray.
RayofHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 05:15 PM   #2
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
\Rian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Taunton
Posts: 780
Thanks: 16
Thanked 250 Times in 210 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayofHope View Post
Recently I left three wheel rims in for a curb rash repair at a cost of €130 a wheel. The wheels are a diamond cut alloy. A great job was done and they looked like new again.

Unfortunately I've gone and damaged two wheel rims again. They are low profile wheels and one was damaged going up on a curb and the other getting out of a tight underground car park. I feel like a right prat!!!

I've seen a few YouTube videos on repairing them yourself. My question is - should I attempt this myself or bring them back to the professional (with head down)??

Can anyone recommend any other self repair videos?

Regards,

Ray.

Been looking up up in case I damage mine, so fare ive been super extra really carefull
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #3
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Andyblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Not where I should be :)
Posts: 4,335
Thanks: 1,549
Thanked 2,095 Times in 1,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by \Rian View Post



Been looking up up in case I damage mine, so fare ive been super extra really carefull

Well... what can you. Not sure I’d do it
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
TonyHill
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
TonyHill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Manchester
Posts: 977
Thanks: 6
Thanked 408 Times in 308 Posts
I may be wrong, but I'm sure diamond cut alloys can only be repaired a few times before they need replacing.
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #5
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer
 
Cookies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: County Down
Posts: 7,081
Thanks: 12,199
Thanked 5,443 Times in 3,915 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyHill View Post
I may be wrong, but I'm sure diamond cut alloys can only be repaired a few times before they need replacing.
If you want them restored with a diamond cut finish, you're absolutely right. If you'd be happy getting them painted or powder coated, them they cam be welded and filled etc, all of which can be covered by the paint.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors