Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Money And Business Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Money And Business Zone All things money related, Savings, Finance, Pensions ,Insurance, Mortgages and more,

Old 30-04-2021, 09:25 AM   #1
spursfan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,227 Times in 869 Posts
Garage
Retirement

Mooring guys and girls..
looks likely that after 33 years with my company, I will be either made redundant or take a voluntary package in the next 12-18 months.
this is part of Openreach's major reorg in closing down most of the offices on the South and South east of England.
I do have choices in that I could apply for jobs outside on the tool but they are not what I would call local and to be quite honest, with the way the company are treating their staff I am thinking of taking the plunge and taking a package when the next package comes along, apparently they will be offering them on a regular basis.
The company are point blank refusing to speak to the union when it comes to redundancy terms and office closure which will affect thousands of people in the South.
the 6 new offices that are being finished as we speak are no where near me, nearest one is Birmingham, over two hours plus each way and very little in the way of work/homelife balance, would be out of the front door at 5 am and get home at 7-8 every night, so not realistic TBH.

Now 60 , 61 in October, so will be near to 62 by the time they make decisions about office closure.
mortgage is paid off, no outstanding debt, so am asking for any little bits of advice on how to get ready for retirement, any little gems etc.

Kev
spursfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 10:09 AM   #2
nbray67
DW Superstar

Thanked 4,127 Times in 2,749 Posts
Garage
Good luck with it all Kev but do they not allow working from home for your role?

I thought COVID had made many companies look into this option based on the last 12mths of telling people to stay home.
nbray67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nbray67 For This Useful Post:
spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
Andy from Sandy

Thanked 1,273 Times in 946 Posts
I didn't get ready for retirement, I was working full time and then just stopped working.

I used to be a very keen angler and then switched to radio controlled models. I have a bike and go to meet ups and ride outs when it suits.

During the time when I would be working I really do just chill. I don't fret that I might be wasting time. I have found a couple of forums where I can help others by doing their research for them.

I tend to find one job to do a day. I hadn't done any decorating for so long that it was quite easy to take more than a few days to paint a room.

As of right this moment I am looking forward to first practice at Portugal GP and typing this!
Andy from Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andy from Sandy For This Useful Post:
NickP (30-04-2021), spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 10:16 AM   #4
kingswood

Thanked 1,080 Times in 644 Posts
they'll have to consult with the Union for redundancies. your rep should be keeping you in the loop.

depending on the package you could be in for a winner. its not uncommon to be offered 3/4 weeks pay per year served if they really want to downsize. the prison service offered this a few years ago. people due to retire in the next few where literally paid off until retirement to stay at home.

statutaory redundacy is one week per year served unto 20 years total.

after 33 years grafting and at 62/63 I'd see this as a nice opportunity to get a few quid out of them and enjoy you're retirement. lifes to short
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Soul boy 68 (30-04-2021), spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
RS3

Thanked 1,016 Times in 748 Posts
One of my guys is retiring soon and has just been sent on a 2 day retirement training course which he said was excellent and gave him loads of options he didn't realise he had. I shall ask him more and if he has any literature from it.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RS3 For This Useful Post:
slim_boy_fat (30-04-2021), Soul boy 68 (30-04-2021), spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 10:28 AM   #6
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 12,767 Times in 7,099 Posts
I retired at 37... went traveling for the first 6 months or so to relax..

Then went to sleep for while..

Then traveled...

rest of the time was spent pottering about, doing DIY... I found it pretty hard to deal with as technically I could do "anything"... but I was so burnt out I just sat about most of the time.

That lasted for a few years, and now I'm back to what I would consider a part time nice easy, stress free job just to keep me ticking over...

I guess I'm saying.. be easy on yourself and keeping finding little odd jobs to do and do things you enjoy..

slim_boy_fat (30-04-2021), spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
spursfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbray67 View Post
Good luck with it all Kev but do they not allow working from home for your role?

I thought COVID had made many companies look into this option based on the last 12mths of telling people to stay home.
Yes, been at home since lockdown began, working in conservatory at moment.
problem is they bare closing 274 offices in the south east and south, that is almost all offices!!
only 6 offices, all around 4000 people will house the staff, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, leeds, Glasgow and Belfast.
I have been told that I cannot apply for the nearest one, which is Birmingham, as it's too far away, approx. 2.30 hours each way, so not doable travelwise.
so looking at what has happened over the last year has made me realise that i dont want to be old when I retire, two guys I know at work died, one at 67 and the other at 71, so their pension pot will be sucked up into the company coffres, they both had no one to leave it too! such a shame.
so taking with Jackie, she says go for it, you can do the house up bless her!!
The Following User Says Thank You to spursfan For This Useful Post:
nbray67 (22-05-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #8
spursfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cueball View Post
I retired at 37... went traveling for the first 6 months or so to relax..

Then went to sleep for while..

Then traveled...

rest of the time was spent pottering about, doing DIY... I found it pretty hard to deal with as technically I could do "anything"... but I was so burnt out I just sat about most of the time.

That lasted for a few years, and now I'm back to what I would consider a part time nice easy, stress free job just to keep me ticking over...

I guess I'm saying.. be easy on yourself and keeping finding little odd jobs to do and do things you enjoy..

Cheers Cuey, always sound advice from you

Kev
Old 30-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #9
baxlin
Orbital Oracle

Garage
My only advice would be, if possible, to cut down the working week from 5 to 4 days - probably a midweek day, so it is different to the weekend. Retirement is a big change from working full time, so anything to ease the transition will help. Go on any courses available - some may be thinly disguised sales seminars, but some won’t be.

I’ve been retired for nearly 5 years now, and only in the last couple of weeks can I remember being bored. And I think lockdown might have something to do with it...

Really hope you can get a good package, and enjoy the best job you’ve ever had!
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to baxlin For This Useful Post:
spursfan (30-04-2021)
Old 30-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #10
spursfan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingswood View Post
they'll have to consult with the Union for redundancies. your rep should be keeping you in the loop.

depending on the package you could be in for a winner. its not uncommon to be offered 3/4 weeks pay per year served if they really want to downsize. the prison service offered this a few years ago. people due to retire in the next few where literally paid off until retirement to stay at home.

statutaory redundacy is one week per year served unto 20 years total.

after 33 years grafting and at 62/63 I'd see this as a nice opportunity to get a few quid out of them and enjoy you're retirement. lifes to short
yep, approx. 1 years pay for a voluntary leavers package, forced redundancy a bit lower.
it was 2 years pay a while back before all this started, we are talking thousands being affected as BT took on a lot of staff in 88/89 and now we are all getting to that retirement age. I am now seeing this as a good time to retire, spot of fishing, a very clean car and just relax and enjoy before I get to the age when I cant do those things.

Kev
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spursfan For This Useful Post:
noddy r32 (30-04-2021), Soul boy 68 (30-04-2021)