Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing'
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pre-wash stages, Washing, Drying, Clay & 'Quick Detailing' Discuss All your prewash stages- washing, claying, pre rinse , claying and drying

Old 01-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #1
jdo
Sponge Jockey

Garage
Question Spray on rinse off voodoo!

After attending the CarChem detailing course last weekend I became aware of and saw in action for the first time the use of the 'spray on rinse off' products that create instant hydrophobicity in front of your eyes (in this case it was CarChem's Hydro seal, I believe similar products are e.g. Carpro Hydro2, Gyeon Wetcoat...)

How??!! How does this work

I'm not a chemist but I can kind of get how applying a wax/coating/sealant can work - you apply the product to the prepared, dry clear coat and thus the 'active' ingredients of the product are in contact with the clear coat (while the carrier gasses off).

But with these spray on rinse off products they are sprayed on to a clear coat covered in water and with no waiting time, rinsed straight off!! How is any effect on the clear coat imparted? It's doing my head in how they work

Any help to put me out of my misery will be greatly appreciated!

I think the answer lies in something to do with things called siloxanes and/or SiO2 (are they the same thing?!) - but I still don't get how they get through the water to the clear coat and do anything in the extremely short time before they are rinsed off!

Last edited by jdo; 01-12-2018 at 08:09 PM.
jdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
Fairtony
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdo View Post
After attending the CarChem detailing course last weekend I became aware of and saw in action for the first time the use of the 'spray on rinse off' products that create instant hydrophobicity in front of your eyes (in this case it was CarChem's Hydro seal, I believe similar products are e.g. Carpro Hydro2, Gyeon Wetcoat...)

How??!! How does this work

I'm not a chemist but I can kind of get how applying a wax/coating/sealant can work - you apply the product to the prepared, dry clear coat and thus the 'active' ingredients of the product is are contact with the clear coat (while the carrier gasses off).

But with these spray on rinse off products they are sprayed on to a clear coat covered in water and with no waiting time, rinsed straight off!! How is any effect on the clear coat imparted? It's doing my head in how they work

Any help to put me out of my misery will be greatly appreciated!

I think the answer lies in something to do with things called siloxanes and/or SiO2 (are they the same thing?!) - but I still don't get how they get through the water to the clear coat and do anything in the extremely short time before they are rinsed off!
I think forensicdetailing did a good video on them. I think he basically said the active ingredient was attracted or statically attracted to the surface. So while its in the water its looking for something to bond to. That's why the jet wash is required, to force the water (containing the active ingredient) into contact with all the surface nooks. I think it only bonds a few molecules thick though. Its quite fascinating really.
Fairtony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairtony For This Useful Post:
jdo (01-12-2018)

Tags
carchem, carpro hydro2, gyeon wetcoat, rinse off, spray on