Detailing World Forum banner

Consistently Getting Good Shaves

675K views 4K replies 234 participants last post by  ollienoclue 
#1 ·
I think I have finialy got this saving game sorted now;)I now shave after having a bath which makes a huge difference.I use The Real shaving Co Shaving oil first which I rub in well and then use some Omega Cream which I work in well with an Omega Brush and I used a Merkur 1904 Gillette replica with a Merkur blade which I find to be the best for me:thumb:Now I rarely get any shaving rash,bleeding ect which is down I think to only using the weight of the razor to shave with:thumb:
And the Merkur blades gives me a very close shave.The DE razors are much better and much cheaper than your Mach 3,Fusion rubbish.

#45 · (Edited)
If feathers are making you bleed, I would suspect that your technique or prep is lacking something, as the shaper the bladed the easier it should cut the hair.

Just out of interest, how long have you been DE shaving?

A few things to consider...

1-Are you spending enough time softening the hair? (Shower or soaking for a good few minutes)

2-Are you applyig the shaving soap or creme corrertly? It is vital that the soap or creme is on the skin, not just coveing your stubble as the blade will skip and jump over un-lubricated skin causing cuts. This is often a problem people using canned goop have when starting DE shaving.

3-Are you using the shallowest blade angel with minimum pressure?

Hope that gives you someting you can use for a better shave.

Paul

#48 ·
Hi Guys
Joining in on the theme just put in my 1st order for a real shave!!!

Merkur 34C
Sample blades
Alum bar
Aqua Velva, D R Harris, Bay Rum 10ml samples all from Connaught

Vulfiv404 from ? sorry forgot site LOL

Palmolive cream, soap stick and styptic pencil from Morrisons

Time to panic!!!!

Heres to a 41 year old learning to shave properly.

Jon

#49 ·
Thats looks like a good starter set up but a shaving brush will help get a good cream lather:thumb:Most important thing with shaving is prep,A hot shower or bath before shaving softens up the beard making it easier to shave:thumb:If you look at PaulGTI's post above he explains it very well:thumb:

#52 ·
Bought a Merkur on my holiday with ten Derby blades. Loving the closeness of the shave..

Anyone know how long a Derby blade should last? On average of course, I appreciate some people have a beard like Desperate Dan!
i would say about 3-4 shaves but you can obviously tell when its not as sharp anymore as the shave will not be as good as the first.

#57 ·
Qustion to the other DE shavers on here...

How often do you strip and clean your razor?

Myself, its every shave. I like picking it up at the start of each shave looking like it did on day one. I also like knowing the chrome head and safety bar are gong to be clean and slide smoothly. It only takes 2 mins to do

On one of the shave forums it seems most strip and clean ever time they change blades, usually 3-5 shaves, and just rinse between shaves.

#59 ·
Had my 4th shave today, i used a new persona blade, just a little burn on my adams apple which is the 1st time since starting last friday, not as easy to shave tonight but could be that i'm in my works apartment in Cardiff which is not as comfortable as home and the mirrors are slightly further away in the bathrooms than at home in sunny Huddersfield.
This is on the back of the best shave i have ever had last night which was the 3rd shave using a derby blade. I have decided to bin the blades after every 3 shaves whilst working through the sample pack.
I have to say that its the weirdest feeling ever after rubbing the alum block on my face and then rinsing a few minutes later.
I have found the palmolive cream fantastic and my vulfix 404 softening up every shave.

just need some recommendations for a luxury shaving cream, balm and some advice on whether to try a soap(i have a palmolive soap stick from asda (48p, unbelievable price!!)

And yes i feel a shaving forum rising within here LOL

#60 ·
just need some recommendations for a luxury shaving cream, balm and some advice on whether to try a soap
My first creme was Trufitt and Hill ultra comfort as I had heard it was good for the inexperienced. Its an excellent creme and its great for a beginner as its really easy to lather. It is a touch pricey at about £12. (I belive that Taylors do something similar for about £6 or 7)

Now using Edwin Jagger Aoe Vera soap, cost £5. A bit more invloved that the T+H creme but does an excellent job.

#62 ·
Well I didn't get a Murkur for me birthday so had to buy it instead! I did this brush & cream set and this stypic pencil...will be getting both of them the weekend though.

To get me going I've bought the following...Merkur 33c, 2 tubs of cream and a selection of blades. The blades are from Connaught and the other bits from The Traditional Shaving Co. Ordered them the same time and both came next day, great service :thumb:

So, which blade should I use for my first time, one that's not too sharp? How long should a tub of cream last me as well, say shaving 3 times a week? They're 150g tubs.

I also bought some Palmolive classic cream last week from Wilko. Although I tried it with my fusion and putting it on with my fingers it seems to be quite soapy, not creamy? :confused:

Font Electronic device Technology Circle Electric blue

#64 ·
Cheers, got Thursday off work so will try tomorrow night after a shower :thumb:

The oil you use before shaving do you wash that off first, once it's done it's job on does the cream go on over it? Thinking of getting some of that as well, what you linked to in another post.

#71 ·
Thanks Tony/Paul...my local Tescos and Boots are only small so I guess that's why I didn't see anything on the shelf. I popped into a large boots on the way home from work and got some of the oil you linked. 100 shaves they reckon from that bottle!! :doublesho They didn't have the 50ml otherwise I would've got that for 2 quid more.

Should I apply the oil each time I re-lather or just the first time?

#73 ·
the best thing ive found is shaving after a hot shower, then on just a wet face shave using a cut throat razor. it is FAR FAR cheaper then any blades out there and hell of alot closer. obviously took me a few go's to get used to it and i have tried other razors. ive been using a cut throat on my self for about 10years plus now.

#75 ·
nah i dont use that stuff. the one i got the blade section slides out. you can buy these blades from any supermarket quite cheaply. to use, you would snap it in half and insert it in the blade holder in the cut throat and slide it in. i use a blade twice before i bin it!!!! most decent barbers use these cut throats. let me know if you want one and i'll get you one!!!!!

#77 ·
wow, just had my first shave! Hot shower first, the oil I bought today with the cream on top. Used the Iridium blade with just the weight of the head doing the work. No cuts but a couple of small blood spots, I could feel the difference immediately afterwards, my face is much smoother! :D

I did notice that the side I wasn't shaving started to dry while I was doing the other side. It could be I was too slow being my first time.

For those of you who use a brush with cream, do you take it directly from the tub or use a jug and put some in there? I get the feeling using your fingers will make you use more than neccessary.

#82 ·
Good to hear you a good first experience, it sounds like your prep was spot on.

I did notice that the side I wasn't shaving started to dry while I was doing the other side. It could be I was too slow being my first time.
That will improve as you get more experience and faster, although possibly too dry to start with.

For those of you who use a brush with cream, do you take it directly from the tub or use a jug and put some in there? I get the feeling using your fingers will make you use more than neccessary.
Not really sure I get what you mean with this. Are you using your fingers to get the creme on you face then using the brush to lather it?

I "face lather", which is dip the tip of th bristles in the creme (Have the brush wet and warm to start with), then lather directly on my face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.