Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > Health & Lifestyle Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health & Lifestyle Zone Suited and Booted ,Grooming, Personal Care, Health, Shaving , Aftershaves , Clothes , Watches and more

Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #11
shrikep15
Unwashed Member

Garage
I would echo macc70 and recommend Evans as a good place to look. I was looking a few years ago and they pointed me a 29'ers, I'd been looking at a GT but they suggested I try a Pinnacle. Apparently this is their own brand, with the frames being built by the same company that Specialized use. I found that I could get a bike in the price range I wanted but with components which were 1 or 2 specs higher than on a big name brand.
shrikep15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
muzzer

Thanked 4,933 Times in 3,172 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
Just out of interest, what's a good full suspension XC bike these days, and how much £?
It’s all relative, do you want full suspension or hardtail? Ally or Carbon? 650B or 29’r?

It does make a difference, Evans or Chain Reaction Cycles is a good starting point to get an idea of what is available and what sort of price you might have to pay. But good quality hardtails are cheaper than the equivalent full sus and significantly cheaper than carbon.
Old 10-06-2019, 10:17 AM   #13
ollienoclue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
It’s all relative, do you want full suspension or hardtail? Ally or Carbon? 650B or 29’r?

It does make a difference, Evans or Chain Reaction Cycles is a good starting point to get an idea of what is available and what sort of price you might have to pay. But good quality hardtails are cheaper than the equivalent full sus and significantly cheaper than carbon.
I would go aluminium as I presume carbon would be murder expensive.

Wheel size wouldn't really bother me, I would never be a full time rider so probably just choose the easiest to work with.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:47 AM   #14
elfed
Unwashed Member

Hi, you’d be better off on a road bike if it’s just riding to work, be much easier going up a hill because of the weight difference.

A 50/34 up front and 11-32 on the back should take care of most hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #15
muzzer

Thanked 4,933 Times in 3,172 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
I would go aluminium as I presume carbon would be murder expensive.

Wheel size wouldn't really bother me, I would never be a full time rider so probably just choose the easiest to work with.
Have a look at Evans or Chain reaction cycles, ally is significantly cheaper than carbon and hardtails are cheaper than full sus. Then wheel size makes a difference, 650B/27.5 are cheaper than 29’s but the 29er rolls quicker. Spec plays a big part of cost, you can get a nice Trek all hardtail for just under 1k for example but the top end ally one is closer to 2.5k. Carbon equivalent is closer to 4k to give you an idea.

Me, i paid a shade under 400 at Halfords for my Voodoo Hoodoo which is an ally 27.5 with a decent spec brakes and gears wise, fork slightly lower spec and the cables are routed externally but it does the job of getting me to and from work, plus its a hoot through the woods.

Ultimately budget is the arbiter here, go cheaper and get full sus but with basic level kit or hardtail with higher spec.
Old 13-06-2019, 09:52 PM   #16
chrisibiza
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talidan View Post
Thanks for all suggestions guys, after reading a couple of reviews and watched a few videos I have just purchased a 275 vr 2019 gets delivered next week can't wait !

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Good choice, Its been hardtail of the year 4yrs in a row. Its a very popular bike so will sell out soon!

Its big brother, the Sentier has also won the £1000 hardtail of the year award too.

Those awards are not easy to win!
chrisibiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2019, 12:11 PM   #17
Talidan
Washmitt Meister

Arrived last week done 31 miles on it so far mostly off road, but it's a great bike fitness slowly coming back, just need one of them backpacks that carry water now so I don't have to stop for a drink, I am struggling with big inclines, also using Strava so trying to beat my times everytime I go out is fun.

Talidan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Talidan For This Useful Post:
beambeam (24-06-2019)
Old 24-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #18
beambeam
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisibiza View Post
Good choice, Its been hardtail of the year 4yrs in a row. Its a very popular bike so will sell out soon!

Its big brother, the Sentier has also won the £1000 hardtail of the year award too.

Those awards are not easy to win!
Really wanted the Sentier but sold out on Chain Reaction so went with the Marin Nail Trail 7 instead. Haven't had a bike in years and hope it's a good one.
beambeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 02:24 AM   #19
beambeam
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talidan View Post
Arrived last week done 31 miles on it so far mostly off road, but it's a great bike fitness slowly coming back, just need one of them backpacks that carry water now so I don't have to stop for a drink, I am struggling with big inclines, also using Strava so trying to beat my times everytime I go out is fun.

Awesome, hoping for a similar result myself! Stick in.
beambeam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beambeam For This Useful Post:
Talidan (25-06-2019)