Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 11-07-2019, 01:39 AM   #41
Clarkey-88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I’m not sure I could let my car go even if I did end up with I car I wasn’t overly happy with. I enjoy keeping my cars looking at their best.

A couple of years ago I bought a Mondeo ST220 intending to use as a dog. It was supposed to be a cheap car to use as a daily driver through the winter that I didn’t care about to prevent miles, dents and bad weather being put on my pride and joy.

I don’t think it was even two weeks until it was really bothering me that it was dirty, full of swirls and just looked desperate for a detail. So naturally I had to sort it out. It was a really enjoyable process and I’ve never stopped giving it my best ever since. My dad owns it now and I’m still at it lol. This was taken a few weeks back

Untitled by Dave Clarke, on Flickr

As others have said, I feel that old cars that are in immaculate condition tend to grab peoples attention more than a new car looking equally as good

Last edited by Clarkey-88; 11-07-2019 at 01:43 AM.
Clarkey-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clarkey-88 For This Useful Post:
Peteo48 (12-07-2019), RandomlySet (15-07-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #42
Peteo48
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Clarkey-88 - I agree as per my earlier post. That Mondeo looks outstanding. I'd certainly stop and look!
Peteo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peteo48 For This Useful Post:
Clarkey-88 (14-07-2019)
Old 14-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #43
GaryKinghorn
Sponge Jockey

I enjoy keeping my cars in nice condition. I tell myself it's so that when I come to sell them it will make the process easy, but in reality it's because I hate my stuff not looking as good as it could.

Periodically I get a lull in my interest. Normally it's when i notice something on the car I'm unable to resolve. However for the most part, my stuff gets treated well, all be it in an amateur fashion.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
GaryKinghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #44
pt1
Orbital Oracle

Its Therapeutic for me, just to switch off from the world,a car i enjoy helps, products i enjoy using and i just like being outdoors really

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 05:27 AM   #45
bigchunk
Sponge Jockey

I have been into cars pretty much all my life, my dad owned a breakers yard back in the day, so i could drive from about 5 years old, used to do ministocks and karts from about 7 till i was 14, when i left school straight to being a yts apprentice mechanic. I have owned more cars than i can recall, and for the most part always liked keeping them clean, but not "detailed clean" my detailing bud only started just over a year ago, up till then i always thought i was doing a decent job on my cars, but the internet taught me what i was missing, started to see swirls and scratches that i had never noticed before.
So now, just over a year down the line from catching the detail bug, its not just about my cars, i have done neighbours, friends and families cars, as well as my own. lucky enough to have 3 nice cars and enough spare cash to spend on detailing stuff that no sane person would have done in the timespan since i started. But i love doing it, i find it quite therapeutic. and its a nice feeling when you hand the inlaws 10 year old Z4 back to them after a week (it was in a bad way) and you see them delighted with what you have achieved and them telling you that it never even looked that good when they bought it new!
bigchunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #46
Ennoch
Orbital Oracle

It's two separate things for me; I like interesting cars and I also like keeping the things I own in good condition so that they last. I don't like the disposable/consumable culture we currently exist in where you have to have the latest 'next big thing' all the time, so while detailing products are another thing that is massively driven by hype over substance, I think I've found a good set of products that work well and aren't stupidly priced with any scene tax on top. No matter what vehicle I've got it will always be kept to a good standard, from £200 beater to whatever the upper end may be.

To me there's not much satisfaction in detailing a new car that's a) in good condition and b) everyone expects to be in good condition. Conversely most CRV's you see on the road now have reached the disposable <£1k end of the market so keeping mine in really good condition is very satisfying, albeit very frustrating when people open doors and such into it because it's 'only' an old car. Similar is seeing the transformation in my girlfriend's wee Fabia when I've gone through it and hoovered out 3kg of sand, polished out the multitude of marks from it being parked on a city centre street and cleaned all the mud from everywhere else. The Impreza is a bit of a mixed bag because it's more of a project than daily car, and the detailing doesn't happen that often now as it doesn't get driven that often.

So in answer it's probably the transformational/keeping things in good condition thing for me, albeit the process of detailing is quite relaxing. Apart from trying to fit it in around Scottish weather that is.
Ennoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 09:28 AM   #47
JoeyJoeJo

Definitely the car makes the difference to me, loved my last two BMWs and would get twitchy if they didn't have a proper clean and treatment every 2-3 weeks, current VW I don't care about and had it's first wash since maybe May/June last week and even that seemed like a lot of effort.
JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #48
Scotty B
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
For me it's incredibly therapeutic, and afterwards I feel calm and happy that I've achieved something (plus it's very different from my day job).

I'll detail any old tatty vehicle for the pleasure of doing it (at work, when walking through the car park, I have to fight the urge to get my QD and cloths out of my boot).
Could be me that.
Scotty B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #49
sevenfourate
Washmitt Meister

Garage
6 cars in this household; from my £800 'daily' to a Porsche. And i love detailing them all. So it's NOT the car per-se.

For me its tactile which i enjoy, i love improving something (Anything), i love a clean car of course !;being out in the fresh air with the radio on etc etc etc is great........
sevenfourate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #50
uruk hai

Thanked 1,748 Times in 1,349 Posts
Garage
For me it's never been about which car, it's always been about the feeling of satisfaction and the surprise and delight of others when I've cleaned their cars for them.
uruk hai is offline   Reply With Quote