Detailing World Forum banner

Slow runing sink

6K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  vsideboy 
#1 · (Edited)
Can anyone see from the picture of the sink u bend below if there is anything obviously wrong which would cause it to run slow and cause the sink to fill. I've had it off the sink and run water through it in this exact position and its fine. I've also run water through where it runs into the drain in the ground and its fine. As soon as I connect it all together it slows and fill the sink. Whats worse when the dish washer empties it fills the sink with dirty water.

Any help and advice gratefully received as I'm tearing my hair out!!!!

All pipes are clean and free of any blockage. I've just undone the white connector that fits into the drain in the ground and put a funnel in it and run water into the sink and as soon as I reconnect it the sink fills?????????? Could there be an air pressure air lock situation going on??????

See less See more
#5 ·
probably that flexi hose distorting under flow, the've just not left enough room to fit the top straight pipe so bodget it, u bend back looks ok,

swivel the u bed around towards the back to give more room then fit a upright hard pipe and a 90 bend to meet the u bend

#6 ·
So just undone the section that fits into the drain in the ground put a funnel in and run the taps see picture below. Run for 10 mins taps on full power no issues at either end. As soon as I connect that white pipe which makes an air tight seal it backs up!!!!!!!! I'm thinking it has to be something to do with air pressure or venting??????

#13 ·
So having looked at this for some time it seems that there is a blockage between where the pipe enters the floor and the main drain. A friend of mine who's a plumber confirmed the pipe work under the sink is fine and that indeed there was a blockage under the kitchen floor. Eventually with his help we freed the blockage. His rodding set was too large to fit so I made some rods out of some plastic speed fit pipe and then attached this to my hose and turned it on full blast! This shifted some of the blockage so then it was a case of moving the pipes in and out about 50cm at a time until the water was running clear at the inspection manhole. After that we reconnected the sink and filled with hot water and once full removed the plug to try and push that last bits through. in the last few sinks full we added disinfectant. The amount of crap which came out was extremely surprising! Lets just say my wife will thing twice before putting heavily dirty plates in the dish washer and oil down the sink. I thought I'd share in case this helps others.

#14 ·
I personally would take it all apart and replace the lot.

You really want your dishwasher waste to be after the U bend.

Also, what's stopping you from removing the flexi pipe and putting an elbow straight into the floor??

There could be a blockage in the floor, maybe you could get some old cable and push it into the straight pipe that goes into the floor?

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk

#18 · (Edited)
That doesn't look like the sort of job a plumber would normally consider ideal. I would buy the required bits, which will cost very little and sort it so after the U bend it does straight down that pipe and out to the drains. It's only plastic and can be cut and tightened up with basic tools. The existing system to me looks like it would impede the flow of water and whatever else has gone down the sink too much meaning it won't reach the drains with as much pizzaz which is probably why the drain backed up in the first place.

Allowing an amount of fat/grease to go down the drains is normal but best to remove all the food waste you can and let a whole sink load of hot water and dishwasher detergent down the sink at the end of any washing up session.

Pouring hot or cold fat directly down the sink is asking for it as it will coagulate in the pipes quite happily. Better to have it mixed with a lot of hot water and detergent so it reaches the sewer system which is a much much larger. Of course food waste is best put in the bin rather than disposed of down the sink. We have an insinkerator but never use it for fear of blocking our drains.

#21 ·
Of course food waste is best put in the bin rather than disposed of down the sink. We have an insinkerator but never use it for fear of blocking our drains.
You really should use your insinkerator. It is much better to go down there than in your bin. 7.3 million tonnes of food waste ends up in landfills each year where it emits harmful greenhouse gasses..

Instead of going to landfill, food waste can yield valuable biogas and other vital soil nutrients which can be recovered at the wastewater treatment plant if you put it through your insinkerator.

We use ours for as much as possible. Literally everything except banana skins and potato skins. Even chicken bones go down with no problem.

#19 ·
I'd be very wary of using a pressure washer if you have push fit waste pipes as a build up of pressure can force water out through the seals which if out of sight can lead to flooding.
I had problems with a shower drain a year after installation, it turned out to be a horrible gooey mess of soap residue and hair. I eventually cleared it with hot water (apparently dont' use boiling water) and soda crystals. I've now set a prompt on my computer to clean it out every month.
As for the kitchen waste I clean that out at the same time but I wipe any greasy dishes with kitchen towel and bin it before washing the dishes. Prevention is better than cure.
Have a look on https://www.dri-pak.co.uk for cleaning tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.