Detailing World Forum banner

coolant loss

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  pez 
#1 ·
ever since the car had its 100K service, the coolant and oil levels have never been right, after they over filled every level i had, i had to take it back to them to put it right. i know that can't be the reason, but its just strange that the coolant never went down before, and the oil always seems to be too high, I've just drained nearly 2 litres out of it!!!

the coolant loss baffles me, as there doesn't see to be any obvious leaks anywhere, however, my dad was discussing stuff with my uncle, and he said he had the same problem on his Deawoo thingy, and turned out to be the EGR valve???? is that even possible????

#2 ·
If the coolant level is down and the oil level is up then it would seem like the coolant is getting mixed with the oil in the engine somehow. Have you noticed any change in the running of the engine or white smoke etc, residue in either fluids or gunk on the oil cap? Damage can occur if an engine has been overfilled with oil.

#4 ·
Yes it can be the EGR cooler ( strange name as technically it's a warmer ) it is used on diesel engines to increase the speed that the engines warm up by running the exhaust gases though a heat exchanger to the coolant these can develop hair line cracks allowing the coolant to seap though it is a common problem on bmw I work on though you don't see smoke from the exhaust but if you remove the valve it's self you can see the residue of the coolant being burnt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Yes it can be the EGR cooler ( strange name as technically it's a warmer ) it is used on diesel engines to increase the speed that the engines warm up by running the exhaust gases though a heat exchanger to the coolant these can develop hair line cracks allowing the coolant to seap though it is a common problem on bmw I work on though you don't see smoke from the exhaust but if you remove the valve it's self you can see the residue of the coolant being burnt

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
So I'm guessing there's no way to check unless you take it apart?

#9 ·
holy f&*£ a duck, checked with a kia garage about this (didn't fill me with confidence as first he said, no its your air-con leaking, then i explained its coolant going down, and he said, no, not the ego blah blah blah, then said hang on, i'll have a look at the diagrams, ...... oh yeah, you have a cooler on there, £410 plus Vat, or you can get one with a new EGR on it, total of £1004

:doublesho

#11 ·
Had the cooler go on a focus, every symptom you can imagine for headgasket after topping up with coolant constantly, mayo on the oil filler, bubbles and discouloration of the coolant etc. Plenty of tales online of people having their head gaskets replaced.

Brand new cooler £500 odd, 2nd hand part off ebay for £16, job done.

#15 ·
If your topping off your coolant every fortnight then try topping it up when the engine is cold and then leaving it over night. As the temperature drops over night so dose the pressure, this will increase the pressure when the engine is hot ( there should be a one way valve on the radiator / explanation cap) meaning that the water is less likely to boil off and thus you won't loses coolant. It's a free fix and worth a go if you can leave the car to cool complete and then leave it over night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.