Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Tech & Gadget Zone > New ICE / Car Audio Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #1
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,714 Times in 975 Posts
OEM Satnav (much later model) in classic car

I've put this here because it seems likely to be the place where the relevant expertise will be found.

I'm in the planning stage of the electrics for the refurb/restomod of my E Type. I'm sure the auto-electrician will tell me anything is possible but I thought that, before I asked, I should get some independent thoughts.

I'm looking for advice on the feasibility and ease of taking, say, a modern Jaguar system (and have the leaper as the splash screen) and plumbing it in discreetly to a Series 1 E Type 2+2, so all the radio, music, phone and nav functions are integrated. Putting in an aftermarket CarPlay system seems eminently do-able but I was just wondering about OEM.

The cabin is very small and I thought (with the correct angle) I could put the screen (and any gubbins behind it) in the hole where the glovebox is - I can do the metal work "adjustment". I can put the control unit where the radio and ashtray currently are:

Relevant facts:

I will be running a Link ECU for engine management.

There will be an electronic gearbox (GM4L80E) with its own ECU.

There will be plenty of space to hide amplifiers and speakers at the rear of the cockpit.

The car is being rewired with modern electrics (Infinitybox)

With these four factors, should I not be able to get all the information needed to hook up everything except perhaps the vehicle information management screens (and I think the Link stuff might be able to be programmed)?

Please confirm that I'm either insane or that this could be done quite straightforwardly!

Thanks

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #2
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Please confirm that I'm either insane or that this could be done quite straightforwardly!

Thanks

Peter
The first one.

Quite apart for the question of ‘if you could’ there is the more pressing issue of ‘if you should’. There are E-Type owners out there who would insist on your public dismemberment for even contemplating such a heinous crime, and they’d happily do it too! All of the classic car people I’ve ever met are pretty, erm, intense shall we say.

Just out of interest, why the oem system instead of aftermarket? The oem systems in modern cars are tied into everything from engine management to infotainment to the clock, so separating out the specific sections that you want may not even be possible without completely rewriting the software from the ground up. Everything you want or could even ever need could be slotted straight in in the form of a single double din aftermarket unit, nav, BT phone and music streaming, reversing camera etc.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #3
Shug

I have a classic, that is pretty far from original. I have no problem butchering one to make it a better experience.
As mentioned, using OEM jaguar stuff seems a real pain given how integrated it all is.
I was thinking of going with something like a retrosound headunit (very shallow so leaves plenty room behind it and has bluetooth)and you could link up a seperate satnav to it.
Will have it looking more period appropriate with all the modcons.
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shug For This Useful Post:
Fentum (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
djberney
Washmitt Meister

Speaking as a classic car owner myself I am of the opinion you should be able to do whatever you like even though tend to prefer the original look myself.
Speaking as a fellow driver, how do you expect to be able to look at the screen on the other side of the car without being distracted from the road?
From a practical aspect, will you be able to fit it in the space and it stay cool as there will be no airflow around it? And where are you going to keep your gloves?
I have been looking at fitting a modern sound system into my 1956 MG, but they just weren't designed to take it and I don't think I have the determination and skill to overcome the problem.
I hope you find a way to sort it out. Good Luck
djberney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djberney For This Useful Post:
Fentum (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #5
Fentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
The first one.

Quite apart for the question of ‘if you could’ there is the more pressing issue of ‘if you should’. There are E-Type owners out there who would insist on your public dismemberment for even contemplating such a heinous crime, and they’d happily do it too! All of the classic car people I’ve ever met are pretty, erm, intense shall we say.
Thanks Mcpx,

I understand your point but what I'm proposing is reversible in bodywork terms. I have a spare glove box unit and radio console.

I'm committed to the rest because the car has already been dismembered - it came with a Chevy Small Block and a TH350 gearbox lumped in. The economics of concours restoring a 2+2 (even a Series 1) simply don't work, so I'm having a little fun instead. The "beards" probably won't care too much because it is the 2+2 and original parts are being liberated to save "better" cars.

I'm reversing the butchery but putting an AJ16 Supercharged XJR6 engine and associated gearbox in. I need an ECU to overcome the security on the AJ16 and the gearbox is electronic, anyway. I could put carbs on it but the car will be travelling from the Alps to sea level and back again and fettling the engine all time is not my idea of fun.

I'm not changing the suspension specs and I'll be keeping the 6" Borrani wire wheels and Michelin radials so I don't change the handling characteristics of the car but I do want it to start when I want and light the road ahead when I need it!

The "beards" probably would want a Jaguar/Lucas loom reinstalled but I want reliability so I'm rewiring to modern standards. In the same way that I'm replacing 50 year old callipers and discs and brake lines, but not putting ABS etc in.

The good news is that a lot of good condition 1966 vintage parts are being made available to those who want to redo their cars to original spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post

Just out of interest, why the oem system instead of aftermarket? The oem systems in modern cars are tied into everything from engine management to infotainment to the clock, so separating out the specific sections that you want may not even be possible without completely rewriting the software from the ground up. Everything you want or could even ever need could be slotted straight in in the form of a single double din aftermarket unit, nav, BT phone and music streaming, reversing camera etc.
Because that would be easy! And they are all limited in some way, not that OEM ones aren't fairly dire, although I do like my Porsche PCM module.

It's probably what I shall have to end up doing but I was simply wondering what the challenges would be. I'm not too bothered about the engine management stuff...

But thanks for your thoughts. You're probably right.

Peter
Old 01-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Fentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by djberney View Post
Speaking as a classic car owner myself I am of the opinion you should be able to do whatever you like even though tend to prefer the original look myself.
Speaking as a fellow driver, how do you expect to be able to look at the screen on the other side of the car without being distracted from the road?
From a practical aspect, will you be able to fit it in the space and it stay cool as there will be no airflow around it? And where are you going to keep your gloves?
I have been looking at fitting a modern sound system into my 1956 MG, but they just weren't designed to take it and I don't think I have the determination and skill to overcome the problem.
I hope you find a way to sort it out. Good Luck
Thanks djberney,

A 1956 MG? Lovely!

Easiest answer first, any gloves can go in the central cubby box. Although I think my wife would divorce me if I took to wearing driver's gloves

I normally get my wife to do the fiddling/tuning while we are underway and most units give voice direction. I don't look at the screen much when driving my modern cars either. But I was thinking with the right headunit that I might be able to let it rest flat (i.e upright but parallel to the dash front) and recessed when not in use but pivot it out to face me while driving (a bit like retractable cup holders).

I'm doing a lot of thinking about heating and ducting and heat and sound proofing. I'm running a new loom and reducing current behind the dash wherever possible - LED background lights into the gauges etc. I'm using an additional transmission oil cooler to reduce cabin temperature and, depending on whether I use the current aircon unit, I could pipe cool air behind the dash.

For modern sound, there are people who put modern innards into old Blaupunkts and Beckers so the unit does not look out of place and there are modern retro units (including with built in speakers):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-MP3-RD...cAAOSwQJhUbNMT

Or if you have loads of cash, I give you the Becker Mexico:

http://www.becker-mexico-retro.de/en/

Re installation, I am looking at discreet bullet tweeters on the windscreen pillars with the mid range and bass tucked away either in the footwell or in +2 area of the car. It is the high range that really is directional, the rest less so.

It is feasible to do a discreet and reversible implementation but with an older car, questionable whether you can hear much anyway!

Thanks again

Peter
Old 01-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #7
Fentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shug View Post
I have a classic, that is pretty far from original. I have no problem butchering one to make it a better experience.
As mentioned, using OEM jaguar stuff seems a real pain given how integrated it all is.
I was thinking of going with something like a retrosound headunit (very shallow so leaves plenty room behind it and has bluetooth)and you could link up a seperate satnav to it.
Will have it looking more period appropriate with all the modcons.
Thanks Shug,

I hear you but my question partly stems from wanting to avoid all the snaky wires and Tom Toms falling off windscreens etc. But I may well have to compromise.

Peter