Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Car Chem
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Car Chem Car-Chem Ltd have an extensive range of the highest quality car care products on the market, whether it is for interior freshness or exterior shine, Car-Chem know that attention to detail is of the most importance, here at Car-Chem we will strive to make sure you and your car have our upmost attention with our extensive car treatment product range which will guarantee your car looks back to its show room shine. Unlike many car care companies we formulate and manufacture everything ourselves, we feel this gives us an advantage over our competitors as we have the facility and machinery to achieve consistency, quality and versatility.

Old 04-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Fatboy40
PC Perfectionist

Question Car Chem Hydrocoat Hybrid Questions (Nov 2019)

I've already spent my budget for the month on detailing supplies however there's some thing about Hydrocoat Hybrid that makes me want to buy some. The products description, price, and photos and video of its use and effect have piqued my interest.

However, I'm not 100% sure what the product is actually supposed to be? What role does it plays in detailing a vehicle?

The website states that it's a "bodywork sealant", and it should be applied like an SiO2 "topper". However, posts here and elsewhere talk about it being a product that can be diluted and used as on wet paint and rinsed off to provide protection. Is it effectively both of these types of products? (and if it is why would a consumer purchase Hydroseal?)

Of course you'll want to keep your formula secret, however are you comfortable confirming the types of SiO2 used in Hydrocoat Hybrid (e.g. does it use an amino functional silicon / is there any fluorinated silicon present?). Also would you consider it to be on par with competitor products from say Car Pro and Gtenchiq, or potentially better?

Thank you.

Update 8/12/2019: Well, with the recent "tri-day" sale I bought some, maybe more than some as it was 5L plus a free 100ml as the price was just so damned low. Luckily it turned up at work just before I went on holiday for two day before the weekend, so in theory four days to play around with it but the weather has been terrible (fog, cold temps and lots of rain).

I've not cracked open the 5L container so I'll assume that the liquid in the free 100ml is identical. It's a thin blue watery liquid, think "WKD Blue" (I'm setting the bar quite low aren't I), however I was very surprised to find it oily when applied to a panel with a microfiber applicator. Spreading it was easy, a little goes far, and being oily you can certainly see where it has been applied even on light coloured paint, and it takes quite a while to flash at low ambient temps (I'll try it indoors in a day or two). I was also assuming that like other SiO2 emulsions / toppers I could put the pad in a bucket of water to rinse it out to use again later, however the "oil" component reacted and left an oily film on the water and the microfiber had to be cleaned with a degreaser to get the product out.

I first used it on Thursday which was a cold and foggy day for me, and to be honest testing it on a test bonnet then was probably not a good idea and it was the worst of three products I applied to the bonnet. However I washed my own car yesterday afternoon, and gave it a quick waterless was this morning, then applied Hydrocoat Hybrid to it in much better temps. The afternoon was wet and windy, but I popped out for a look once the rain had stopped and the beading was very good and to the point where I was thinking it looked tighter than my last application of CarPro Reload.

I've a weekly commute of 400 miles on various A roads, and if the weather's poor my car gets filthy (and it's going to be another wet week), so it will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Finally it's definitely a sealant / topper, it can't be watered down in any way to act like a spray and rinse product.

Update 11/12/2019: I've found the MSDS online for the product, dated 6/3/2019, and unfortunately the usual "3.2. Mixtures" section is very scant and only lists...

HYDROCARBONS, C11-C14, N-ALKANES, ISOALKANES, CYCLICS, <2% AROMATICS - REACH registered number (s): 01-2119456620-43-XXXX

... so no confirmation of the type of SiO2 used or any other chemicals.

Last edited by Fatboy40; 11-12-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Update
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy40 For This Useful Post:
bildo (18-12-2019)
Old 26-11-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
bildo
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Send a message via MSN to bildo
Best of luck, still waiting to hear back with regards to a couple of products I got from them last Black Friday!
bildo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
Fatboy40
PC Perfectionist

bildo,

If it wasn't for Car Chem blatantly ignoring me I'd assume you were joking.
Old 28-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #4
bildo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy40 View Post
bildo,

If it wasn't for Car Chem blatantly ignoring me I'd assume you were joking.
No joke here I'm afraid. They lost a decent customer because of it.

Customer service is so vital in this day and age, especially in such a niche market, yet theirs is seemingly non-existent.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #5
Fatboy40
PC Perfectionist

Well, my 5L + 100ml of Hydrocoat Hybrid has just arrived at my desk at work and I've Thursday and Friday off, so time to play.

Initial thoughts are it's much more "watery" than I had assumed it would be considering its description as a "bodywork sealant" and its recommended application method. Its consistency is more like a spray on "wet coat" type of product, and I've seen others mention how they've diluted it to use it just like this.

With the recent "tri-day" sale I thought buying 5L was definitely worth a punt. If it acts well as a spray on product on wet paintwork then at the special price it was very worth it! (especially compared to Car Pro Hydro2 which is the only spray on / rinse off product I've so far owned).
Old 04-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
minimadmotorman
PC Perfectionist

Garage
The reviews I've watched of Hydrocoat Hybrid show it being applied in a sealant style manner using a ceramic applicator or a microfiber polishing pad.
minimadmotorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #7
Fatboy40
PC Perfectionist

"Bump" as I've added an update to my original post.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatboy40 For This Useful Post:
bildo (18-12-2019)
Old 24-12-2019, 12:06 AM   #8
Titanium Htail

Thanked 1,030 Times in 910 Posts
Garage
I used m prize that I won from CarChem themselves, very impressed, just need to evaluate the longevity. Using a dedicated application cloth would have enabled the product to go on thinner.

John Tht.
Titanium Htail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2019, 08:15 AM   #9
Lexus-is250
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Used it at the weekend on both cars and it left a nice finish with good beading this morning. Water was running off at 25mph which is low as it leaves a very slick surface. I just sprayed onto a folded microfiber then went round the whole car on both occasions before going round and buffing off. It came off easily and didn't require any real effort. Nice product but unsure of durability.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk
Lexus-is250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lexus-is250 For This Useful Post:
bildo (24-12-2019)
Old 24-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #10
bildo

I appreciate the feedback guys. Although I find it a bit mind-blowing that they still don't answer such vital questions like these, it's good to see that their products are still decent.

I look forward to seeing how well it lasts.