Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General Off Topic > Off Topic Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #1
Leicesterdave
Sponge Jockey

How do you deal with really rude builder?

I've had my roof done over the last 2 days and this guy is like ' trust me' 'on my kids life' etc which to be fair set alarm bells ringing but (rightly or wrongly) his review on checkatrade and ALL other review website stacked up and said how polite and good he was. I decided to go with the reviews rather than my gut instinct....

He made loads of rude little comments like 'Look you're an intelligent guy no? It's common sense' in that real patronising way when I asked him a couple of questions.

Then they finished the job, went up to the loft a couple of hours later and noticed it dripping a bit. Called him back to be told that he was tired and basically really had a ps off attitude towards me.

I never get tradespeople- I pay in good faith (in this case £950) and get treated like crap if I dare question something going wrong. In fact even on the job the guy just shows very little respect.

I'm not a particular large fella and always wonder if I was built like a tank whether they'd have the same attitude? Who knows.

Either way he is coming back today to have a look at it, but I just know he'll be FULL of attitude and a part of me just wants to answer back- should I? I'm sure they know you depend on them to rectify and job and won't have the guts to tell them what's what.

Just can't believe you've got to think the above just when you're employing someone for a day's work.... I'd never even think of speaking to my customers like that, and I do get some lip from them!
Leicesterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #2
Venkman
Washmitt Meister

Sorry to hear your experience. I’ve either had people like this, or complete opposite with amazing can’t do enough attitude.

My advice would be to say nothing in the first minute or two to give him the chance to sort it right. If (as seems likely), he gives the usual spiel just stop him there and then explaining that you’re not one bit satisfied with his work or attitude. Tell him he’s not leaving until things are put right, and if he tries to pull a fast one he’ll never hear the end of it.

Paying hard earned for insults and sloppy work isn’t on and it beggars belief how they get away with it! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 12,162 Times in 6,800 Posts
Of course you should answer back!

I always treat people the way they try to treat me.

Had a builder with the same attitude once, laughed at me because I ‘didn’t understand the basics’

My response was, how are you at consolidated balance sheets and cash flows for a 30 company group with a 600 million turnover, I mean it’s really basic for me.

We all have our skills. Don’t be intimidated by a builder regardless of his size.

*if that doesn’t work, channel your inner Bruce Lee and kick his knee out, large people fall quicker

DLGWRX02 (14-12-2019)
Old 13-12-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
GeeWhizRS
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Suck it up a bit until you are sure the job is sorted. If you are not happy with his manner just don't employ him again but I would advise against annoying any trader if you may need them to rectify issues in future.
GeeWhizRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeeWhizRS For This Useful Post:
kh904 (14-12-2019), taz736 (13-12-2019)
Old 13-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
vsideboy
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vsideboy Send a message via MSN to vsideboy
You might be best just getting someone else to sort the problem and leaving loads of negative reviews pal.

I've paid tradesmen to do work for me in the past because they can do it quicker, easier and to a better standard than I could do myself right? Wrong, job finished and you wonder why you bothered, yes time wise it's easier but when you're not happy with the work years down the line still you really end up wondering why you bothered.

Or you get someone else in to do a different job and they uncover the hidden shoddy work of the previous one.

All I'll say is out of 3 tradespeople I have hired to do work in the past, only 2 of them are still in business. The crap ones get caught out eventually for their shoddy work mate.
vsideboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #6
VTR_Craig
Washmitt Meister

Play dumb and question everything in detail so he has to explain.
VTR_Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VTR_Craig For This Useful Post:
ianrobbo1 (21-12-2019)
Old 13-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Cookeh
PC Perfectionist

Garage
I don't wish to cause offence, but if your first step in this scenario is to post on the Internet asking what to do, I don't particularly think you'd be likely to do anything at all - least of all take a hard stance with the builder.

I think Venkman has the best idea here, initially, given the scenario. You should give him the chance to put things right. If that falls through, vsideboys solution seems more up your street.
Cookeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Leicesterdave
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookeh View Post
I don't wish to cause offence, but if your first step in this scenario is to post on the Internet asking what to do, I don't particularly think you'd be likely to do anything at all - least of all take a hard stance with the builder.

I think Venkman has the best idea here, initially, given the scenario. You should give him the chance to put things right. If that falls through, vsideboys solution seems more up your street.
?? Nothing wrong with a bit of advice.
Leicesterdave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leicesterdave For This Useful Post:
Bustanut (14-12-2019), Darlofan (13-12-2019), kh904 (14-12-2019), possul (14-12-2019)
Old 13-12-2019, 01:54 PM   #9
Derek Mc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I would calmmy ask him to return and put the error straight, if he then refuses I would have no issues in reporting him back to Checkatrade as that is what they are there for!
Derek Mc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #10
Cole_E91
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Mc View Post
I would calmmy ask him to return and put the error straight, if he then refuses I would have no issues in reporting him back to Checkatrade as that is what they are there for!
Probably the route I'd go down, and also the safest.
Cole_E91 is offline   Reply With Quote