Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 26-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #1
Russ and his BM
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

'71 Vitesse Convertible

Well, best I support the P&R section as best I can.

My brothers and I have been restoring this Triumph for well over a decade and a half now, so here we pick up the photos after digital cameras had been invented!!!

Before these shots were taken, the car had been completely dismantled and all components blasted to get rid of all the rust.

Once we got it home we stuffed it full of anti-rust wax and this was done in Sep '02...

Then various other jobs were completed.

The engine went back in, with all the bulkhead bits and pieces. Luckily, we had already rebuilt these while the car was being painted, so it came together quickly.

The dashboard went in, and I fabricated a new glovebox (the original one disintegrated). I wired in a cigarette lighter, for the obligatory chargers.

Thn I put the gearbox cover back in, having beefed it up at the edges with some fibreglass and covered the inside with a layer of stonechip paint for sounddeadening and the aluminium tape, which reflects the heat...

Then it was time to get the seats in, which were taken from a Jaguar xj-s. They're comfy, but it took a day's work to do the fabrication...

Then they came out so I could fit some foam soundproofing/underlay stuff I picked up at a car show, followed by the carpets themselves.

Sorry if all these pics come out in the wrong order by the way, but you get the idea...

Then the hood went on.

And with a few bits of interior trim to sort, and the front overriders away at the chromers, that takes us up to how the car looks now..

I'll update as I go, comments welcome as always. It's funny blobbing it all together as the work in this thread took about 7 years!

I hope you enjoyed this, and thanks for reading.

Cheers,
Russ
Russ and his BM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Russ and his BM For This Useful Post:
alan_mcc (17-03-2009), Bowler (15-04-2012), CrippleRacer1 (03-08-2014), Jack R (11-09-2018), jeff t (15-04-2012), Kasomi (26-06-2008), rockape (22-09-2008), ted11 (27-08-2012)
Old 26-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
Kasomi
Washmitt Meister

Send a message via MSN to Kasomi
You've done a fantastic job there!

Give that man a gold star...... lovely to see classics being restored to natural beauty!

Paulie
Kasomi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasomi For This Useful Post:
Russ and his BM (26-06-2008)
Old 26-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
fraz1975

Nice

Especially loving the seats being a bit of a fan of older Jags
fraz1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
impster

Garage
Is that a genuine factory convertible mate? We used to have a Vitesse and remember a company bringing out the convertible conversion kit back in the early 90s i think. I think the only diference in the conversion was that the rear quarter windows were further back than the original soft top.

Looks very nice mate. Lots of hard graft there.
impster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:43 PM   #5
spitfire
Distinguished Detailer

From what I can remember, parts like triumph 2000 gearboxes and overdrives are very interchangeable. Have you carried out any engine/gearbox mods?
spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #6
Russ and his BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impster View Post
Is that a genuine factory convertible mate? We used to have a Vitesse and remember a company bringing out the convertible conversion kit back in the early 90s i think. I think the only diference in the conversion was that the rear quarter windows were further back than the original soft top.

Looks very nice mate. Lots of hard graft there.
Yes, genuine indeed. There was a company called 'Tristan' who did a cabriolet style setup, which just bolted on after you had taken the roof off (which was 7 bolts to undo on a hardtop). The system employed a Stag style 'T'-bar, but the main problem was that when folded back, it all sat proud of the rear deck like a Beetle cabriolet, unlike the factory originals. I used to have a hardtop and i just drove it around with no roof, and hoped it didn't rain too hard. I got away with it most of the time, I recall. Oh, and it was all safe(ish) because of the separate chassis, so the roof was not structural...ahemofficer!
Old 26-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Russ and his BM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire View Post
From what I can remember, parts like triumph 2000 gearboxes and overdrives are very interchangeable. Have you carried out any engine/gearbox mods?
Yes, giant meccano really, and although there are subtle diferrences, lots of kit from different Triumphs can go into these.

Mine runs a GT6 Mk3 engine and box, with overdrive. It came second hand, 5 years after having been rebuilt, with a freshly rebuilt gearbox, and all ancillaries inc the fancy alloy rocker cover, running and compression tested for £200. I was so jammy I found that. Honestly I bit his arm off!!

So all that went straight in, no dramas. I've just this week bought a taller differential for it from a Spit 1500, so it should be able to calm down a bit on the motorway now.
Old 26-06-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
impster

Garage
I remember our Vitesse that we considered the tristan for. Ended up selling the Vit cause of the awful colour - 'cactus green' (same colour as flourescent 'sick' (!) ) and we bought as Austin healey sprite in its place.

As i said - it's looking good. enjoy it.
impster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 08:31 PM   #9
ahaydock
Retired Mod

Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,414 Posts
Garage
Nice one
ahaydock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #10
Bigpikle
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,897 Times in 1,882 Posts
very nice - we have a few Herald and Vitesse convertibles round here. Passed a red herlad looking gorgeous the other morning while roaring past in the MG, and a nice white Vitesse this afternoon...

they are VERY pretty cars IMHo and yours looks superb.

We need a Detailing World Classic Register and regular meetups
Bigpikle is offline   Reply With Quote