Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Technical > Help..!
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Help..! Questions relating to products and how to use them.

Old 17-08-2018, 03:29 AM   #1
efunc
Washmitt Meister

56k Icon Resin? Tree Sap? Overspray?? HELP!!

Sorry, this thread really needed pictures, but it's the middle of the night and I need to try and tackle this in the morning. I thought I'd put the thread up now so that I might have some leads to go on before I start and not loose another day. Pictures will be added as soon as I get a chance.

Basically I have a black Audi TT and a section of the bonnet and rear quarter is covered in black or clear hard round blobs or dimples, about 1mm or less in size. At first it looks like tree sap, but after a whole day of cleaning I'm not sure anymore! First I washed the car completely with Bilt Hamber Auto-Wash. Then I used a 3m Clay mit. It was after I dried the panels that I begun to see these bumps. I then spent longer with the clay mit on the offending area, but it didn't touch them. I then got out the EZ Car Care Glue & Tar remover - really laid it on, soaked it 15 mins, agitated with a toothbrush and then pressure washed it off with some force and used a microfibre towel to clean/wipe. Still nothing! These are bonded so hard I'm not even sure what they are.

I tried physically picking at one with my thumbnail but it's hard like the paint and cannot be done. I'm not even sure if it is sap or paint because the car had front wings resprayed last year, but I'm sure these spots weren't present then. Anyway, what are my options? Tomorrow I'm thinking I may have to wetsand them out with 1500 or 2000 grit. However with an interface pad the sanding may just go around these rock hard bumps and sand only the bonnet.

So to summarise.... HELP!
efunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 03:55 AM   #2
rlmccarty2000
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Try a heat gun on low and a plastic razor blade before compounding. In my area I see a lot of dried pine tar and that is how I remove it.
rlmccarty2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlmccarty2000 For This Useful Post:
efunc (17-08-2018)
Old 17-08-2018, 04:00 AM   #3
efunc
Washmitt Meister

Yes, thanks for the quick reply. I was just thinking my first option might be de-nibbing with a stanley razor blade, however it might be painstaking work over a couple of days. Didn't consider the hot air gun though. How much heat is required? Mine only does 50 degrees as it's only partially working.

The bumps are rock hard/brittle, they're not remotely 'sticky' or flex under pressure.
Old 17-08-2018, 04:03 AM   #4
efunc
Washmitt Meister

Oh I see, you mean one of those plastic tools. I've got a plastic chisel with my PDR dent pulling kit, for removing the glue blob left behind. Good idea, I'll try that tomorrow and report back...
Old 17-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #5
Croques
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I've not tried this so treat with caution but white spirit is a solvent for pine resin. Probably a wax solvent too though.

if you were to try, a little dam surrounding the resin, made of plasticene, and filled with white spirit and left for a while would be the way to go.

As far as I am aware white spirit is not a solvent for car paint. Test first though.
Croques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #6
efunc
Washmitt Meister

OK, hold everything. I just went out in the light of the day to look at the newly cleaned panels and see that what appeared to be tree sap last night is really paint lift!

I have no idea why this has happened on the bonnet and also a little bit on the O/S Rear Quarter, but I have to deal with it. I will begin by trying to flat it down gently with 2000 grit on a block and hope I don't go through the clear.
Old 17-08-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,756 Times in 1,291 Posts
Garage
Judging by the reflection, orange peel & blistering the panel has been repainted (poorly), it'll more than likely need to be repainted properly to make good.

cheers

Chris
Passion. Cars. Expertise.
Summit Detailing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2018, 11:33 PM   #8
efunc
Washmitt Meister

Well, we'll see. I just spent 3 hours wet sanding, and it's half done. It's a strange one. I've had the car 3 years, so if it'd had a paint job it would have been some time before that, but these paint blisters have just appeared from nowhere. Other than that the paint looked absolutely fine.

So here's me tentatively knocking it back on the rear quarter first, just to test whether I can avoid breaking through the clear coat. I used 2000 grit on a cork sanding block rather than my preference for this kind of thing which is an Abralon disc on a DA with a soft interface pad. In this case that would have had too much 'give' and I needed something to flat just the protrusions.

Nonetheless, it's impossible to stay off the main panel, and in the end I had to keep working it until I flatted the whole thing down. I tried to do it lightly and hold back a little. Once polished the remaining isolated blips won't be visible:

Almost there. Still testing how much pressure and passes are required. The rear quarters on an Audi TT are impossibly curved, so there's a slight dip in that flank there that's not really worth digging into with a flat block. I left it as it was without getting too aggressive. I could probably do it with the paper against my finger, in an isolated hit, and I might still do that:

Satisfactory for now. Now onto the main problem area - the bonnet...
Old 17-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #9
efunc
Washmitt Meister

The bonnet was affected quite severely over the top and O/S edge. I tackled it in several overlapping longitudinal strips, flatting back the whole panel until the dimples were no longer evident, or at least less pronounced:

A lot of the problem areas were right up to the edge of the panel, and I was trying to avoid the edges, but in the end decided I had to try and get those too. The cork block had chamfered edges and if you're careful and keep the block completely flat and ease the pressure you will avoid sanding the panel edge itself.

Basically nice and flat, although done by hand, so a bit rough. I intend to finish the other side of the bonnet and then go over the whole lot with a pass of the DA with 3000 grit Abralon disc to make compounding easier later