Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 25-09-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
Chino
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
New Car Protection, AG Lifeshine or Diamondbrite?

Hello, wondered if anyone had any preference on the above. My brother in law is purchasing a brand new Civic Type R and has asked if I will perform a protection kit upon it. In the past I've used AG Lifeshine for relatives and friends and found it OK, not amazing, OK. That's after a full wash, decontamination process and mild mop and wipe down to remove any delivery defects.
Does anyone have any preference on the two above? It's not something I tend to use myself as I generally wash and protect my cars with traditional products. I don't think we are looking for an extremely expensive product, just something to give a reasonable first protection.
Chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
RS3
Washmitt Meister

I don't have any experience of either so can't comment but it sounds like you need a product which is:
a) Relatively inexpensive
b) Not easily removed accidentally by an owner who isn't detailing savvy.
c) Last a long time as the owner is unlikely to get it re-coated regularly.
d) Easy to maintain/top up.
There are plenty of products which do all of the above except perhaps the cost (Any of the top Lite Ceramics from the likes of Gyeon/Gtech/Carpro). Longevity and chemical resistance is really good with Fusso Coat wax https://www.nipponshine.com/fusso-coat-dark-200g is great value and wasy to maintain with a wax spray topper.
Either way, hope all goes well and the brother in law loves his shiny new motor.
RS3 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RS3 For This Useful Post:
Chino (25-09-2019)
Old 25-09-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
Chino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS3 View Post
I don't have any experience of either so can't comment but it sounds like you need a product which is:
a) Relatively inexpensive
b) Not easily removed accidentally by an owner who isn't detailing savvy.
c) Last a long time as the owner is unlikely to get it re-coated regularly.
d) Easy to maintain/top up.
There are plenty of products which do all of the above except perhaps the cost (Any of the top Lite Ceramics from the likes of Gyeon/Gtech/Carpro). Longevity and chemical resistance is really good with Fusso Coat wax https://www.nipponshine.com/fusso-coat-dark-200g is great value and wasy to maintain with a wax spray topper.
Either way, hope all goes well and the brother in law loves his shiny new motor.
Cheers, yes it was a case of the salesman trying to flog him a £300-400 Lifeshine prep and I foolishly piped up and said "Well I can do that for you..." more fool me hah! I'll check out Fusso...previously my goto for a long lasting wax has been Collinite or some of the hard wax Dodo Juice products. I suspect I'll make a detailer out of my bro-in-law yet, I'm just trying to set him up right initially.
Old 25-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,009 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
id say fusso /collinite and see if you can talk him into misting it over with sonax bsd after a wash

if he doesnt want to get into car care then theres nothing that will allow him to neglect and have it looking great ...you know carefull wash and some bsd or other would keep it looking sharp
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steveo3002 For This Useful Post:
Chino (25-09-2019), RS3 (25-09-2019)
Old 25-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Fatboy40
Washmitt Meister

I know I'm being cheeky but...

AutoGlym LifeShine Bodywork Carbon Shield (with "Carbon Shield Technology TM")

... what a load of buzzword bingo bull**** (is this what they froze Han Solo in? (I'm a nerd, I know its Carbonite)). Interesting to note that with this product it states on the back of the bottle to apply it to the whole car, from front to back, then buff off so we're not talking high end SiO2 / TiO2 coatings here are we.

Those of us with no life all know that these products are just combinations of silicones / polymers / resins to varying degrees, with the blends of them producing different behaviour, effects and longevity.

I don't envy the OP now being responsible for his brother-in-laws paintwork for the rest of his life (we all know how this is assumed, the same with IT), however at least one person has been saved from being scalped by a dealer.

Personally I bought some Collinte products a while back and was disappointing with their lifespan, I'm a silicone / SiO2 man all the way now.
Fatboy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
91davidw
Jnr Reviewer

I have used both and they are rubbish and don't live up to the hype they advertise.
That being said I found AG Lifeshine to be better than Diamondbrite.

Well done for speaking up though, never allow anyone to be conned into buying paint protection from a dealer.
Dealers buy these kits for £50, the salesperson normally gets £40 commission for selling it and the Dealership pockets the remaining £200-300 odd.
Any guarantee's from the paint protection manufacturers are completely null and void the minute the owner drives the car off the dealers forecourt, if you read the small print for the guarantee. It's a complete rip off.

I think if you use something like fusso /collinite as others have said you'll be giving the paintwork a reasonable first protection better than AG Lifeshine or Diamondbrite.
Then if you get him to use something like sonax bsd or carpro reload everytime he washes the car, he'll maintain the paintwork better than just having AG Lifeshine or Diamondbrite applied and then nothing after.

Best of luck.

Cheers
David

Last edited by 91davidw; 25-09-2019 at 05:37 PM.
91davidw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,340 Times in 1,009 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
thinking about this , if you take on the job and 12 months later its got bird mess etchings , water stains etc , is he the type that will be bad mouthing you because you waxed it once

these protection plans are talked up like its a layer of Armour and fools believe every word
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 10:49 PM   #8
HEADPHONES

My brother actually just paid £300 for Lifeshine to be applied to an 18 plate Kia upon delivery.
The warranty doesn't cover
Bird bombs
Bad wash technique
Bad prep by the dealer
Application error by the dealer
NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR.
What a joke!

My brother is not into detailing AT ALL.
If your brother in law as anything like my brother, you'll have trouble getting him to use the 2BM wash let alone apply ANYTHING as a drying aid.
In the end I got him ONR and a big red sponge so he can wash and dry the car quick whilst adding a little protection.
HEADPHONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 10:53 PM   #9
Chino

Garage
After reading around, I’ve decided to go with the Fusso Dark, and have instructed my brother in law to get himself some of the sonax detailer. He’s got the gear to do a two bucket method maintenance wash so I think it should work out nicely. Thanks for the help everyone
The Following User Says Thank You to Chino For This Useful Post:
RS3 (26-09-2019)