Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Gtechniq
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Gtechniq Gtechniq was founded by quantum physicist Drew Gill in 2001, out of a total dissatisfaction with the performance of paint protection products at the time. Everything from waxes, to new-fangled polymers and PTFE based miracle treatments, nothing on the market offered any meaningful durability, either in looks, or protection. Worse still, he found that most of the products actually performed poorer than the paints they were supposed to protect. From this discontent came a simple idea, ‘To engineer the world’s most beautiful, perfectly finished, smartest and most intelligent surfaces. Surfaces that do much more than simply look great when new.’

Old 19-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #1
Clyde
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

W9 Water Spot Remover

Is W9 acidic? I applied this to my solid black Audi S4 yesterday and it appears to have removed my coating or prt of it. I currently have CSL light and Exo applied to my car from new (April 2018).

After washing and drying the car yesterday I applied W9 as per instructions to my bonnet, I did have to apply several times as it wasn’t removing the water marks with the first hit. Once completed I washed the bonnet and noticed that the beading was no longer present and the water wasn’t sheeting off the binnet either.

Keen to know what’s happened as I thought this would have been safe to apply.

Thanks
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Clyde

For anyone interested I did get an email from Rob. I won't comment too much but will add that stating it is coating safe, as the website does, is not an accurate description of the product.

"Hi Mian,

It will not completely remove EXO but it will diminish its hydrophobic properties.

As you know, EXO is rated to about 18 months durability. It may be that the W9 has shortened the life of the coating.

But you may find that you still have a residue of W9 on the surface.

In the first instance, I would therefore suggest you decontaminate using our W5 Citrus All Purpose Cleaner. And if this does not work, I would suggest either reapplying EXO or using C2v3 Liquid Crystal"
Old 12-06-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
grunty-motor
Washmitt Meister

i used W9 for the first time a few weeks back - i had to reapply the EXO. the car was 1year old since it was applied, so goin gon the above response.....maybe to be expected!
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #4
Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
i used W9 for the first time a few weeks back - i had to reapply the EXO. the car was 1year old since it was applied, so goin gon the above response.....maybe to be expected!
Was your Exo performing ok? Based on how the water was sheeting/beading on my car there were no issues with the coating prior to applying W9. Why are Gtechniq implying a product is coating safe when in fact it isn't or clarify what coating it is safe for (if it is).
Old 13-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
grunty-motor
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
Was your Exo performing ok? Based on how the water was sheeting/beading on my car there were no issues with the coating prior to applying W9. Why are Gtechniq implying a product is coating safe when in fact it isn't or clarify what coating it is safe for (if it is).
this was on the roof and was suffering badly from marks. It wasnt sheeting very well. i did try citrus first but the spots remained.

the bonnet was not so bad so i didnt use w9 on that yet. After a clean with citrus it did actually restore the sheeting quite well.
grunty-motor is offline   Reply With Quote