Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 06-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Dealership Woes

Urgh, why is it always so hard to get the dealership not to wash the car?!

I recently got a brand new Jaguar I-Pace in black (I know, risky business choosing black).

I requested that it wasn't washed before being delivered to me, and the supplying dealer obliged and did just that.

Then the car had to go into the dealership because the windscreen hadn't been bonded in properly, so leaked into the passenger footwell, turning it into a mini swimming pool.

So the car goes into the dealer with 3 (three, yes THREE!) A4 signs saying DO NOT WASH!! in big capital letters, written with a big chunky black marker pen.

Then when the car gets to Jaguar I call them and tell them the car is not to be washed under any circumstances. They tell me "yes, no problem, I'll write it on the top of the job card and it won't be put out for washing".

I then re-iterate the same message on several other phone calls, explaining that they can pour water on the car to check the leak has been fixed, but they are strictly not allowed to wash the car. Each time they reassure me that the car absolutely will not be washed.

I think you can guess the outcome by now...

Car arrives back today after them having had it for over 3 weeks, washed, scratched, and with what looks like bubbling paint on the bonnet. As the car is brand new and made mostly from aluminium, I can only assume the bubbled paint is a touch-up, for damage that they've caused whilst the car was in their care.

Is following instructions not to wash a car really that complicated?!
MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBRuss For This Useful Post:
Cookies (08-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 04:52 PM   #2
MBRuss

Here's pics of just some of the damage on the front of the car. Not had chance to look properly yet.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #3
Sicskate

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,112 Posts
The bubble bit looks like it could be tree sap?

Have you approached the dealer?

Sent from my COR-L29 using Tapatalk
Sicskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #4
MBRuss

Pretty sure it's not tree sap - it has been indoors drying out for the last week! Also, the paint is really raised and bumpy - pretty sure it's touch up paint.

I've called the dealer and given them a b*ll*cking for washing it and told them about the damage. They requested pics so I sent the above pics over.

Since then they've gone back to not bothering to call me back, as usual.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
MrPassat
Washmitt Meister

Really sorry that's happened to you, it's terrible.
I hope the outcome is the one you want.
MrPassat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPassat For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 PM   #6
minotaur uk
Washmitt Meister

Just unbelievable, the incompetance of dealerships now days is amazing. Having had poor experiences with dealerships....I can totally empathise with you. Make sure everything gets sorted!!!
minotaur uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to minotaur uk For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Naddy37
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,382 Times in 1,694 Posts
Had the same from my local Mercedes dealership. Their answer 'Our valeters can't read or speak English!'
Naddy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
Walesy.
PC Perfectionist

Its unbelievable the lack of care from the so called 'flagship' dealerships.

My 5 Series went in for a replacement wheel, after it corroded 5 weeks after the initial replacement and I noted 4 days later that they had chipped the back door and touched it up a poodles head!
Walesy. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naddy37 View Post
Had the same from my local Mercedes dealership. Their answer 'Our valeters can't read or speak English!'
I did think about that and considered trying to draw some sort of image to convey not washing the car. I thought telling the person in charge of my car numerous times that it wasn't to be washed was enough (along with the 3 massive signs in the actual car).

Apparently not.

It's when the lady in charge of my car said "I didn't know you didn't want it washed" after we'd had several conversations about it!

They clearly did know I didn't want it washed, because when they sent the car back a week ago (still with a soaking wet carpet after having had the car over 2 weeks) they had left the car unwashed, as instructed. They just seemed to forget all that in the last week.

Also, the three signs have disappeared, even the one that's difficult to reach on the parcel shelf.

Quite why they removed them, I don't know. It wasn't to tidy up the car, because they left mud on the leather of my interior driver's door (on the handle and arm rest) and all over the sill.

The issue I think, is that most "normal" people don't quite understand why we don't want our cars washed by the guy that has to wash 100 cars every day with a single bucket and sponge. You ask them not to wash the car and they look at you like something's wrong with you.

They'll probably begin to take notice when they get the bill for bonnet respray and the detail and machine polish...
Old 06-11-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walesy. View Post
Its unbelievable the lack of care from the so called 'flagship' dealerships.

My 5 Series went in for a replacement wheel, after it corroded 5 weeks after the initial replacement and I noted 4 days later that they had chipped the back door and touched it up a poodles head!
My boss recently bought a brand new Porsche 911. It already broke down because of a water pump failure and it had a flat tyre and a broken speaker.

The dealership damaged the wheel replacing the tyre and the door card now rattles where they replaced the speaker. He took it back to get them to sort the rattle out and they took the other door card off to check the other speaker and now both door cards rattle!

Sometimes it almost seems like they do it on purpose!

"Hey, this guy is really really keen to ensure we don't wash his car - make sure you drop it round to scratchy Scott, the quick valet guy who stores his sponge on the floor."