Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > Health & Lifestyle Zone > Food & Drinks
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-10-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
muzzer

Thanked 5,922 Times in 3,780 Posts
Garage
Huel

Has anyone tried or is using Huel or any of its derivatives?
Old 24-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #2
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Thanked 12,475 Times in 6,961 Posts
Huel

Been using it on and off for around 4 years now.

Have it for my breakfast and lunch.

500ml water with 2 scoops.

Sometimes add cinnamon, fruit, other things to taste.

If you’re going to start, take it easy... have a few bad days as all the crap exits your body and get plenty of toilet roll in.

You settle back down in around a week.

Oh, and remember to still drink water too.

And watch out for know it alls that have never tried it..

muzzer (24-10-2020)
Old 24-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
muzzer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cueball View Post
Been using it on and off for around 4 years now.

Have it for my breakfast and lunch.

500ml water with 2 scoops.

Sometimes add cinnamon, fruit, other things to taste.

If you’re going to start, take it easy... have a few bad days as all the crap exits your body and get plenty of toilet roll in.

You settle back down in around a week.

Oh, and remember to still drink water too.

And watch out for know it alls that have never tried it..

Yeah there is a discussion on a well known motoring website with plenty of know it alls on there

Have you found it helped with weight loss?
Old 24-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #4
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

I never used it for that tbh, however I do feel better after a couple of weeks on it and always lose a few pounds easily.

It was more I was working all over the place, so took a bag and small blender away with me to stop the need for spending a fortune on food.

I just look at it as putting fuel in a car, something that needs to be done and it’s ‘perfect’ for what your body needs rather than your taste buds.

I’ve found that it does make ‘proper’ food taste a lot better too!

muzzer (24-10-2020)
Old 24-10-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
pt1
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Huel is expensive so i use my protein whole fuel blend, its pretty much the same thing.2.5kg comes in around £16 with the discounts u can get. i use around 2-3 scoops in 600ml of water.if you make it to strong it can make you fart a bit.i like it,its A very easy way to keep the nutrition up whilst on the go,keeps me going whilst at work

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited by pt1; 24-10-2020 at 10:36 AM.
pt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pt1 For This Useful Post:
muzzer (24-10-2020)
Old 24-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
JoeyJoeJo

I've had a quite a bit, dead easy to use and the flavours are mostly decent and not too artificial (although some of the additives are).

Best mixed with a blender and chilled, lukewarm and in a blender bottle is quite unpalatable to me. 400ml of water with just powder, 300ml if adding fruit.

Tend to get big bags of the main flavours and then mix and match - coffee, chocolate, berry, vanilla, banana and then combo them to get new flavours.
If you have it frequently, you'll get flavour fatigue so handy to have couple of different and I have bags of frozen fruit in the freezer to mix it up further.

It's not really a weight loss thing but for me it's two fold - convenience and portion control, the latter contributing to more healthy eating as if I make or buy a lunch, I'll typically add an "accessory" or a little bit more, a bit more again.

If I'm using it for a spell, it will tend to be breakfast and lunch weekdays and just makes it so easy. If I'm playing golf over a lunchtime at the weekend, I'll make one and put it in a flask because otherwise I'd just be buying a couple of 90p mars bars from the pro shop.

I can go into 10 meals a week with no ill effects at all, can be a little bit farty but that's it.
JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #7
muzzer

Garage
So far so good, no major issues apart from entertaining wind but i am only using it for lunch as it's more convenient than carting half a ton of junk with me. I had great intentions of not eating junk when i got home from work but that sort of went out the window a wee bit but i have lost weight with it and i definitely notice i feel fuller once using it.
Old 21-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #8
ollienoclue

I tried Huel for 2 months, using to drink it as an extra meal on my way to work.

It's hugely expensive for what is essentially very finely ground up commodity products. I would prefer to look for alternative solutions not sure if anyone else can advise. I would prefer to avoid massive amounts of sugar which can be prevalent in these kinds of products.

I always mixed it with milk, a bit more fat and calories wouldn't do me any harm. I think with the Huel and milk on board I worked it out as being an extra 800 calories or something which is ideal for those of us of a slender persuasion.

Felt fine consuming huel. No extra wind or bloatedness. Ate other meals as normal. Don't subscribe to the detox mindset.

Never needed a blender or whisk, just shake in it's travel cup thing. Even in milk it dissolves realtively well although I always put in more than 500ml or whatever the recommended amount is.

I am not a vegan and there is 0% chance of me ever being so but I found the product pretty good, only the cost put me off. If it was cheaper I would happily consume it twice a day and probably do without lunch or something. As it stands, conventional food is cheaper so I will continue that way. I still have come huel left actually. Will be working in a mainstream hospital soon so may well take huel to work and use that instead of lunch.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #9
The Cueball
The Devil's Advocate

Huel

“Hugely expensive”

I’m genuinely interested in that statement and what you can get cheaper that provides an ideal balance of protein, carbs, essential fats, fibre, all 26 essential vitamins and minerals, phytonutrients, kombucha, pre- and probiotics contained in Huel...

I pay £1.32 per portion.

Please save me some money and keep me healthy using conventional food.

Old 21-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #10
muzzer

Garage
I think it's myprotein that does a very very similar product, i believe it's slightly sweeter but is quite a bit cheaper than Huel.
I like my Huel and dont think its a wonder creation, i still eat food as the body needs fibre but for work, Huel provides a nutrionally complete alternative to sausage rolls, crisps and chocolate.
I'll see if i can find a link to the other version once i get back to my laptop for those interested.