Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 25-09-2019, 09:18 PM   #1
Kev_mk3
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Kev_mk3
PPF Install Gone Wrong Advise

Hi wondering if you guys can help.

Had my full front end (bonnet, bumper, wings and mirrors) PPF'd last week and collected it yesterday.

Alarm bells should have rang when they asked me to measure the bonnet which i did for them but then they rang once they had the car to say it was to small the piece so they had to stretch it.

Arrived collected the car and it looked all ok at that point. 24hrs later I went to get my lunch at work from it and noticed both mirrors had already lifted I then looked closer to see a lift on the bumper, both wings & upon a really close subtle look the wings had film hanging.

I called the place who have asked me to take it back Friday but since I have found dirt under the film etc I want it either re doing totally or a refund and it all removing am I being un reasonable with this?

I mean the bonnet definitely needs doing as where its been stretched its actually not covering the lip at one point for near 2 inchs!

Now I have used this place several times for detailing work never PPF so I am shocked at this. Any advise / thoughts would be great
Kev_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #2
Cyclonetog
PC Perfectionist

I'm certainly no expert, but I'd say that not getting dirt trapped under the PPF would be the most basic requirement, probably right alongside making sure the stuff stays down.

I think your conditions of wanting it redone or refunded are perfectly reasonable. I don't really know what else you could ask for?
Cyclonetog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #3
Darlofan

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,154 Posts
Garage
I'd go over the car with a keen eye, log every fault you see and tell them it needs sorting out in full. There is a worry if it's that bad first time round, with basics like removing dirt being missed that it won't be done correctly next time.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
Philb1965
Orbital Oracle

I had issues with my ppf which was installed by an ‘accredited installer’ and it was never sorted to my satisfaction. I paid a lot of money for it. I had the same, lifting, dirt under the film, some of which was hairs from the installers beard!!! Had it redone but gave up in the end. Never again.
I would have patches done to prevent rear wheel arches or sills getting hammered but I’ll just touch in any chips and respray if I’m that bothered in the future.

Good luck whatever you decide but I’d go for money back.
Philb1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
Kev_mk3

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Kev_mk3
I've logged everything I can with pictures and approximate locations. I will show them all friday and see what they say before I say anything but realistically I want it re done and hope its to a better standard or refund and I will go elsewhere.

Just wanted to check I wasn't being unreasonable over it really as well its a grand + for this work and its left a massive sour taste so far over it all
Kev_mk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev_mk3 For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (25-09-2019)
Old 25-09-2019, 10:21 PM   #6
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 6,655 Times in 4,604 Posts
Garage
I'd agree with what's being said above. Carefully detail every issue in writing with them. Keep an audit trail in case you end up in dispute, and log any contact. Just in case.

I hope you get sorted chum. Keep us updated.

Cooks

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #7
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,623 Posts
Garage
Definitely not unreasonable op!!

You’ve paid a hefty amount of your own money to have the film installed. With an expectation of it being applied properly and cleanly. The idea it’s meant to look as invisible as possible.

Also it’s meant to last a number of years? So if it’s lifting already it won’t last as moisture will get under it.

Give them a chance to redo it. If not insist on a refund.
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
GSB1
Sponge Jockey

Refund. Places that get things as wrong as this won't get it right a second time.
GSB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSB1 For This Useful Post:
wayne451 (26-09-2019)
Old 26-09-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Mad Ad

Thanked 1,535 Times in 1,069 Posts
I agree with GSB1 The amount of things they got wrong will not do it correct the next, I would ask for a refund and go else where. PPF films are normally/should be cut with a printer/plotter to the size and shape of the vehicle, this gives it the perfect fit.

Also the car should have been cleaned properly and really to prep it correctly machine polished so the paint is perfect under the film, leaving great prep work for the film to be laid.

Last edited by Mad Ad; 26-09-2019 at 10:56 AM.
Mad Ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #10
wayne451

They must have some neck on them to charge you for the work if it’s as bad as you say?

They must have a neck like a giraffe?
wayne451 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wayne451 For This Useful Post:
Kev_mk3 (29-09-2019), simonjj (26-09-2019)