Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 14-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #11
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I'd strongly recommend getting pads from a well respected manufacturer, rather than something off fleabay.

I'm a fan of Scholl Spider pads and Lake Country Hydrotechs and there's always Chemical Guys Hex Logics. There are others.

Remember that the pad is in contact with the paint and has the potential to introduce all sorts of imperfections.

You'll have more than enough variables to get used to without potentially using something that might make things worse. And you probably won't have the knowledge & experience to identify the cause. Unless the pad breaks up and your DA hits the paintwork

Saving a few ££££'s here can easily undo everything else you're trying to achieve.

Just something to consider.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
At the risk of throwing the cat amongst the pigeons and not in any way wanting to put you off, but it feels a little like your enthusiasm is getting the better of you(we're all guilty of this and all the evidence is posted in the 'what products did you buy today' thread!)

It looks to me like you're still getting to grips with a thorough, safe wash routine and yet you're about to dive in with a DA. Most people on here will tell you that the key to a great finish is the preparation. DAs are great for speeding up your workflow but if you work on anything other than perfectly clean paint you'll end up doing more damage than correction. Had you not already bought a DA, I might have suggested you spend more money on quality cleaning products and then maybe just tried some light correction by hand to begin with which would have been cheaper and safer.

All that being said, a couple of product buying tips:
- Bilt Hamber Auto-wheel and Korrosol are both paint safe and despite being marketed for different purposes, they will both remove iron fallout from wheels and paint with no ill effects. BHAW is a little thicker in consistency so clings a little more and has more degreasing properties. BH products are very good value and you could buy either one of these and use it for two purposes, saving yourself some money
- If you're looking at this becoming a long-term hobby, you might find it useful to start an account with one of the online detailing retailers like CYC or slims, and start building up some loyalty points
- If you're going to be correcting the paint with the DA, you'll need to find a good panel wipe for cleaning the paint between stages and applying LSP
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (14-01-2019)
Old 14-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #13
MBRuss
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Well any tar remover will do the trick, just find one that works within your budget, they're mostly just solvents anyway.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
MBRuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #14
BarryAllen
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
I'd strongly recommend getting pads from a well respected manufacturer, rather than something off fleabay.

I'm a fan of Scholl Spider pads and Lake Country Hydrotechs and there's always Chemical Guys Hex Logics. There are others.

Remember that the pad is in contact with the paint and has the potential to introduce all sorts of imperfections.

You'll have more than enough variables to get used to without potentially using something that might make things worse. And you probably won't have the knowledge & experience to identify the cause. Unless the pad breaks up and your DA hits the paintwork

Saving a few ££££'s here can easily undo everything else you're trying to achieve.

Just something to consider.

Andy.
Probably a debate to be had here about where 'most' pads are made.

From my, albeit limited experience on the Argos DA with 'bay pads and Menz ..... it delivered all I wanted on soft Citroen paint.

Just one thing about those pads you linked to... I actually had the hex logic knock offs, so not actually the ones you show. I paid about 3 quid for 3 pads, Cutting, Light Polish and Finishing (Orange, White, Black). Bought 3 sets, used Orange 3 times per pad... and only just now is the backing felt starting to come away at the edge after washing ( and I mean minor lifting)

There are stories on here about pads exploding or separating (pretty sure they were fingering the ebay ones) ... but all I can say is that mine didn't.
BarryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryAllen For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (15-01-2019)
Old 15-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #15
RS3
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbruiser View Post
"1. Fallout Remover/WheelCleaner - Triple QX 2.5L"

Dont bother waste of money better of spending £6.92 on a kebab
I was going to say the same. Absolute waste of time - does next to nothing.
I would defo recomend BH Auto wheel as others have. May seem expensive but its great value against the job it does.
RS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 06:55 PM   #16
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Also, in my experience it is entirely possibly to water down BHAW by up to 25% DI water and still have it be effective. This helps to make it even more economical.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote