Detailing World Forum banner

Mike Phillips At WAXSTOCK 2016

15K views 72 replies 23 participants last post by  chongo 
#1 ·

It's ON! - Waxstock Detailing Class! - Show Car Detailing with Mike Phillips at Waxstock - Friday, July 22nd!

More info: http://tinyurl.com/zgstekw

Announcement: Waxstock VIP Special Guests for 2016 - Mike Phillips and Yancy Martinez

I'm excited to announce that Yancy and I are heading to Waxstock 2016! That's right! We're making the trip across the pond to visit all our detailing friends and peers in the U.K.!

For the last few years I've always wanted to attend Waxstock to check out the European detailing scene and it's exciting to announce that this year all the pieces fell into place to make our visit a reality.

I've been a member of DetailingWorld.co.uk since 2007 as a regular contributor to their detailing discussion forum and through their forum, the AutogeekOnline.net, Autopia.org and MeguiarsOnline.com forums plus Facebook I've made thousands of friends that I'll finally have a chance to meet and as we say in the forum world, a chance to put a face to an avatar!

Price: 100.00 GBP (about $150.00 in U.S. dollars)

Contact pj@waxstock.com to arrange payment

Note: This class is limited to the first 25 people to sign-up

Topics covered,

• Evaluating the customer - Just as important if not more important than evaluating the paint.

• Evaluating the paint.

• How to use and fill out a VIF Form - VIF = Vehicle Inspection Form.

• How to use the aggressive method to wash and prep a car for machine polishing.

• How to correctly tape-off a car for sanding and polishing.

• How to measure paint thickness using a Paint Thickness Gage or PTG.

• How to determine paint hardness and why this is important?

• Wet sanding by hand - Techniques for sanding by hand to remove orange peel and other surface imperfections.

• Wet sanding by machine - Techniques for sanding with a dual action polisher to refine hand sanding marks or instead of hand sanding.

• Rotary buffer techniques - How to use a rotary buffer to remove 100% of the sanding marks.

• Orbital Polisher techniques - How to use an orbital polisher to restore gloss and clarity for a perfect hologram-free finish.

• Machine waxing techniques - How to seal the paint by machine.

• Jeweling techniques - For those that love the rotary buffer, how to jewel the paint to perfection.

• Paint coatings - How to properly prep paint and apply paint coatings.

Plus I'll share a lifetime of tips and techniques that I normally only shares in my 3-day Competition Ready Detailing Classes at Autogeek in Stuart, Florida in the United States.

If you're in driving or flying distance of Bishop's Storford then clear your schedule and make plans to be at the first Mike Phillips Competition Ready Detailing Class sponsored by Autogeek and Waxstock.

Schedule

Tuesday, July 19th - Leave Palm Beach Airport for Charlotte Carolina and then to London.

Wednesday, July 20th - Arrive into the London Heathrow airport.

Thursday, Jul 21st - Head to Buff Monkey's Detail Shop to meet the crew at Buff Monkey and set-up for the detailing class.

Friday, July 22nd - Conduct a full-day detailing class at the Buff Monkey Garage.

Saturday, July 23rd - Capture video and do interviews with vendors and detailers during setup day for Waxstock.

Sunday, July 24th - Waxstock 2016! The fun starts at 9:30am and goes to 4:30pm. I'll have two 45 minute presentations on the main stage and book signings at the Motor Geek booth.

Monday, July 25th - Say goodbye to all our friends and make the journey back home to Autogeek's headquarters in Stuart, Florida.

More info: http://tinyurl.com/zgstekw

Questions? Shoot me an e-mail

mike.phillips@autogeek.net

See you at Waxstock!

Mike Phillips

See less See more
#51 ·
Wool pads for the FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher

Every detailer needs to know how to correctly use a wool pad on a rotary buffer for those times when you need to cut fast or remove 100% of your sanding marks - especially around edges and raised body lines and in convex and concave curves!

Lake Country 7.5" Electrified Wool Polishing pad

Electrified?

The word electrified means Lake Country has taken the extra step to electrify the wool which removes the natural sharp barbs found in wool creating a pad that cuts fast but finishes with less scouring of the paint. This is a real benefit when buffing thin, scratch-sensitive clearcoat finishes.

:)

#52 ·
How to jewel paint with only a rotary polisher

For the class session on jeweling I shipped over the best jeweling pads on the market, which are the Lake Country 6.5" Gold Hybrid Jeweling Pads!

Lake Country 6.5" Gold Hybrid Jeweling Pads

We'll be using these on the FLEX PE14 Rotary Polishers provided to us by FLEX!

#53 ·
Top quality microfiber towels and microfiber gloves!

We're so thankful to Aki and the guys at the Buff Monkey Garage for allowing us to use their shop. It would be too much to ask them to supply all the microfiber towels needed for a class so I've shipped over both Microfiber Towels and Microfiber Gloves!

I love the glove!

#54 ·
RUPES Car Detailing Class

RUPES has generously offered to provide,

2 Mark II BigFoot 15 orbital polishers
2 Mark II BigFoot 21 orbital polishers
1 Nano iBrid Kit

I sent over

12 of the RUPES Blue Coarse Foam Cutting Pads
12 of the RUPES White Foam Finishing Pads
RUPES Zephir Gloss Coarse Gel Compound
RUPES Diamond Ultra Fine Gel Polish

Motorgeek will have copies of my RUPES how-to book for sale and I'll be in the booth signing copies.

Thank you RUPES!

#57 ·
Looking forward to meeting you in person Ryan...

As for the pads? I'm not sure if MotorGeek carries these if so they can supply you with them. If not then maybe they'll carry them in the future I can probably spare one after class.

These pads are tough and work great anytime you need to do some major correction work and don't want to bust out the rotary buffer....

Before

After

#64 ·
Gutted i will miss this both this year and next due to holidays.

Oh well, i am sure i can always look up your videos on youtube :thumb:
Yancy is our "Creative Director" he's coming to take videos and pictures so I'm confident there will be a lot of content to share.

It looks set to be a great training day, I only wish I could be there myself but my other Waxstock duties mean i cant afford the time away...

I hope there will be lots of pictures shared here :buffer:

But I am looking forward to catching up and meeting you over the weekend Mike :thumb:

Cheers,

John
Will definitely catch-up with you at Waxstock on Sunday.

:thumb:

#63 ·
It looks set to be a great training day, I only wish I could be there myself but my other Waxstock duties mean i cant afford the time away...

I hope there will be lots of pictures shared here :buffer:

But I am looking forward to catching up and meeting you over the weekend Mike :thumb:

Cheers,

John

#66 ·
Training Cars for the Competition Ready Detailing Roadshow Class in London for Waxstock!

Yesterday I posted I had some breaking news!

I didn't want to share the news until I have confirmation from about 7 other people involved with this class from London. Good news! I received confirmation and we are good to go!

Training Cars for the CR Detailing Roadshow Class in London for Waxstock!

My passion is and has always been to polish paint to perfection and teach others how to do the same. Along with this passion I like to work on COOL cars versus mundane daily drivers. Nothing wrong with daily drivers but you see them everywhere. Walking past a Ford Fusion or a Honda Accord in a parking lot doesn't make you turn your head to take a second look let alone veer out of your normal path to walk over and check it out.

Cool cars, or what I call Special Interest Vehicles, which can be anything that makes you take a second look are a lot more fun to work on and from my 20+ year history of teaching detailing classes, makes for a more fun experience for the students as well as makes for better eye candy in the pictures that get posted all over the forum world and Facebook world.

When teaching an offsite class I'm at the mercy of the location for a lot of thing including the shop, tools, products, etc. I also have a LOT less control over the training cars. After the Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class was confirmed for Waxstock I brainstormed how to come up with some cool cars like I use for all our classes in the states.

I instantly thought of my good friend and car guy, Mike Gelter. Mike buys and sells hotrods and sells them all over the world. Mike provides a lot of the cool cars we have here for our Competition Ready 3-Day Detailing Classes. I called Mike and asked him,

Have you sold any streetrods or classics to anyone in London?

Mike said,

Yes. I sold a 1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod to a guy named Andy.

Mike provided me with Andy's contact information and after a few e-mails back and forth not only did Andy trust me with his streetrod but he found me FIVE MORE COOL CARS for my class in London. I've never met any of the owners of these cars so I can't say enough how much I appreciate their trust in my name and the Autogeek name and we're not going to let anyone down.

This is the first of hopefully many more Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Classes to come and hopefully they will follow the precedent we're setting with this class. I post this information to DetailingWorld.co.uk and also to The Juice Bar, which is the Dodo Juice car detailing forum as well as my Facebook pages.

So for all the guys that stepped up to the plate and signed-up for our one-day, hardcore hands-on detailing class.... here's the cars you'll be training on!

1937 Ford Slantback Streetrod

1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am

1949 Chevy Truck Streetrod

1957 Pontiac Custom

1986 Classic Ford Bronco

Chrysler 300c Custom

Competition Ready Detailing Classes

At all our classes I teach the art of polishing paint and the craft of detailing cars. Here's what I know...

Most people want to learn how to polish paint

And not just polish it but learn how to create a flawless show car finish. A few people want to learn how to clean carpets, seats, engine compartments etc. but after teaching classes on car detailing for over 20 years one thing I know for sure... most people want to learn the art of polishing paint.

For this class we have one day and 6 cars plus a class session on wet sanding by hand and by machine. That's a lot of material to cover in one day and that's why our classes here in the states are 3 days. But using teaching techniques I've honed for decades I guarantee you we'll get them all polished to perfection and everyone will get plenty of hands-on time behind the tools we'll be using in this class including,

FLEX XC 3401 8mm Forced Rotation/Forced Oscillation Orbital Polisher
FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher
FLEX PE8 Kompact 3
RUPES Mark II BigFoot 21mm Orbital Polisher
RUPES Mark II BigFoot 15mm Orbital Polisher
RUPES Duetto 12mm Orbital Polisher
RUPES Mini 12mm Orbital Polisher
DAS-6 8mm Orbital Polisher

Competition Ready TV on Velocity Channel

Our TV show, Competition Ready puts a focus on making cars competition ready, that is doing what I call,

Taking a diamond in the rough and turning it into a glistening gemstone

So like the theme of our TV show our classes teach people the art of polishing paint and the craft of detailing cars and most important... you learn how to do it right the first time... every time.

Stay tuned for lots of pictures for the first Waxstock Competition Ready Roadshow Detailing Class in London!

#69 ·
***Update***

We've had two more cars offered for this one-day class.

Gary's 1950 Pontiac Silver Streak

Rob's 1965 Mustang

When we arrive to the Buff Monkey Garage we'll inspect each of the 8 cars and determine which cars will be used to teach show car detailing and which cars will be used to teach production detailing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.