Detailing World Forum banner

Spare Hour - Engine Bay Freshen up

12K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  jwakefield 
#1 ·
Had a spare hour this afternoon and knew the engine was overdue a spruce up so attacked it with the hose pipe, APC (actually it was some diluted wash n wax I had in a spray bottle for claying) a round brush and some Simoniz Matt Dashboard Treatment I'd got on a Tesco special.

Anyway

It started like this...

And after...

:)

See less See more
#9 ·
As a fellow BMW owner I can confirm these cars don't need anything covering up before spraying cleaner and water under the bonnet.

After cleaning I put a little machine oil on the return springs and a wipe of grease where the bonnet catches engage in the locking clips.

Nice job on the clean up. They do scrub up well.

#5 ·
I didn't cover anything. I had the tap turned right down and just gave it a light spray to wet everything then went round with the APC and brush then a light rinse and dried off with an old shammy before going over it with the ****pit shine and a yellow duster

:)

#20 ·
I've heard the same thing from lot's of people who don't give a seconds thought to the drenching that the electrics are getting when they're doing 90 on the motorway. The connections under the bonnet will take a good soaking before they start to misbehave, just don't go up close and personal with a jet washer. I've used my jet washer to wash off degreaser under the bonnet and apply snow foam but use some common sense and step back to avoid high pressure application and you'll do no harm.
Derek.

#21 ·
I kind of agree; but I instead use a pressure sprayer to rinse down; you have a lot more control that way.

Had a mate who used to use a hose, but then his auto xenons stopped working and that's when I switched to the pressure sprayer.

Stay away from the alternator as well; start the car when you're done to let the engine heat aid in drying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.