Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 17-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #1
chowy
PC Perfectionist

Does polish have a shelf life?

I got into detailing a good decade ago and purchased a Porter Cable orbiter (with Sonus SFX-1, 2 & 3 pads) from the US and a load of stuff which I've had for as long which include Sonus SFX-2 (still unopened)

I fell out of love with detailing and did the bare minimum to keep my new cars in reasonable condition since then so have not used the orbiter for years!

My latest car I purchased is a pre-registered delivery mileage Mini Cooper D which as soon as I got home and seen it in bright sunlight, noticed how bad the swirls were on the paintwork!! I can only assume whilst it was in the forecourt the person responsible to clean it used some cloths/sponges which were not cleaned properly dragging grit and dirt as they cleaned...

Anyhow, I have come to the conclusion that I will attempt to give it a good polish before i put some glaze or final finish but would rather use my old polishes thatn fork out for new stuff..

I noticed Dave KG's orginal guide from 2008 is still a sticky from when I started! Ha ha

The question is do you think it's safe to use my decade old Sonus SFX-2 polish before finishing off with my (probably just as old waxes and sealants)?

Thanks

Last edited by chowy; 17-04-2019 at 04:41 PM.
chowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #2
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowy View Post
I got into detailing a good decade ago and purchased a Porter Cable orbiter (with Sonus SFX-1, 2 & 3 pads) from the US and a load of stuff which I've had for as long which include Sonus SFX-2 (still unopened)

I fell out of love with detailing and did the bare minimum to keep my new cars in reasonable condition since then so have not used the orbiter for years!

My latest car I purchased is a pre-registered delivery mileage Mini Cooper D which as soon as I got home and seen it in bright sunlight, noticed how bad the swirls were on the paintwork!! I can only assume whilst it was in the forecourt the person responsible to clean it used some cloths/sponges which were not cleaned properly dragging grit and dirt as they cleaned...

Anyhow, I have come to the conclusion that I will attempt to give it a good polish before i put some glaze or final finish but would rather use my old polishes thatn fork out for new stuff..

I noticed Dave KG's orginal guide from 2008 is still a sticky from when I started! Ha ha

The question is do you think it's safe to use my decade old Sonus SFX-2 polish before finishing off with my (probably just as old waxes and sealants)?

Thanks
I wouldn't risk it, some it could have solidified and you wouldn't want to be polishing hard bits of dry polish into your paint, your best bet is to email the manufacturer
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
SunnyBoi
PC Perfectionist

As far as I've observed, no, they can be infinitely stored.

The only thing that can go wrong is the solvent used in the polishes may evaporate and may not give you the same results compared to a bottle of new polish, in either cut, finish or repeat-ability.

Try your old polishes. If they feel finicky or act weird, get new ones. If not, keep using the old ones.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote