Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 18-04-2019, 08:38 PM   #11
percymon
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEskimo View Post
What battery capacity are you referring to here?

The 41kWh Zoe gets that in the depths of winter without any issues.
Typically ranges between 130-180 over the year. At the moment I'm getting 150miles no problem.
I think for many Zoe drivers your figures are about right, but I have a neighbour with a 41kwh Zoe who commutes to Bristol daily, almost all the journey is fast dual carriageway or motorway. In the depths of last winter (not particularly cold, or wet) he was getting around 3.2miles per kWh, so his real range allowing for contingency was around 110 miles. In the last few weeks he is seeing nearer 150miles, down to not using the heater/air con much and milder, drier weather. He’s also not driving as fast, but speed kills efficiency on any car irrespective of power plant.
percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #12
ollienoclue

Thanks very much guys. The road in question involves no motorways, it literally is an A road. If you can hit 70mph on it on a daily commute I would be surprised.

5 years of 1200 miles a month is over 70,000 miles so the much reduced tax and fuel cost would be very useful. Whether we keep it or not after that would depend on the mileage and use pattern afterwards.

What age car should I be looking at and what sort of money are they? I don't mind a Leaf or a Zoe to be honest. I'd have a Tesla S but I can't part with 40K right now until the house is fully sorted.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #13
DLGWRX02

Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,071 Posts
Garage
here’s a few websites for thought
https://www.justevs.co.uk/
https://drive-green.co.uk/
DLGWRX02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
taz736
Unwashed Member

If you can hold off buying an ev there will be a greater choice of cars available with better range in the near future, Merc etc.
taz736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #15
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,977 Times in 4,423 Posts
There was a company offering the Renault Zoe on no contract lease not so long ago.

They were used, but the monthly price wasn't bad at all for a short term lease. It would be a good try before you buy.

I can't see who is was now......
Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #16
DrEskimo

Thanked 1,002 Times in 729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
Thanks very much guys. The road in question involves no motorways, it literally is an A road. If you can hit 70mph on it on a daily commute I would be surprised.

5 years of 1200 miles a month is over 70,000 miles so the much reduced tax and fuel cost would be very useful. Whether we keep it or not after that would depend on the mileage and use pattern afterwards.

What age car should I be looking at and what sort of money are they? I don't mind a Leaf or a Zoe to be honest. I'd have a Tesla S but I can't part with 40K right now until the house is fully sorted.
If it's a Zoe 41kWh, it would be late 2016/early 2017. Masters in Beckenham where I got mine have the most competitively priced 'i' (battery owned) models from all my research. Looking at just north of £15k ATM. Nissan Leaf 40kWh you are looking at around £25k. Think the cheapest I've seen is £23k from a private seller on Speak EV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz736 View Post
If you can hold off buying an ev there will be a greater choice of cars available with better range in the near future, Merc etc.
Yea...they've all been saying that for a long time....

2020 has been a running joke for the release of all the legacy EVs. Need to keep in mind though, these will all be brand new, with no discounts, high priced and very limited supply. For example the Hyundai Kona EV that came out last year with a 60kWh battery (real world range of around 280miles)...orders have been suspended for at least a year as they supposedly can't meet battery supply. These are round £35k with no discount. Same with the Audi E-Tron, but that's north of £70k....

The more cynical minds are suggesting they are just trying to stop the EV model cannibalising there ICE models (and of course eventually spoiling the lucrative servicing centres...).

Of course things will get very interesting when the Tesla Model 3 arrives in the UK. It will really beg the question of why you would spend similar money, when you can get greater performance, a better infotainment system and above all else, access to the most reliable, most advanced and abundant charging network in the UK...

Public charging and long distance driving in a non-Tesla EV is a joke. Using a Tesla makes it a non-event....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
There was a company offering the Renault Zoe on no contract lease not so long ago.

They were used, but the monthly price wasn't bad at all for a short term lease. It would be a good try before you buy.

I can't see who is was now......
https://www.evezy.co.uk/

As you say, everything including (insurance, maintenance, servicing, even electricity via the POLAR network) with no deposit and no contract term.

Last edited by DrEskimo; 22-04-2019 at 02:18 PM.
DrEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote