Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Manufacturers and Private Label Brands > Sam's Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sam's Detailing Ok. It all started when I got my first car, I started getting into detailing in a big way. I was confused and overwhelmed the range of products. I started to formulate some of my own blends of snow foam using a mixture of products that are already on the market. After a while, I decided to create my own range of products that are designed, tested, developed and marketed by me.Simplicity is our strength. I avoid using complicated terms that will confuse people. The products are designed to work effectively and be easy to use whether you are a seasoned professional or first time user.

Old 18-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #1
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,850 Times in 2,500 Posts
Detailingworld™ Lite Review - Sam's Detailing Flexi Alloy Brush

The Product

Firstly thank you to Sam's Detailing for sending out their wheel cleaning kit for review. After reviewing both their wheel shampoo & wheel cleaner, the final review covers their Flexi Alloy Brush.

Wheel brushes are a staple of any detailing arsenal but with car manufacturers introducing more intricate wheel designs every year, I find myself struggling more and more to clean every 'nook & cranny' of an alloy wheel.

The Sam's Detailing Flexi Alloy Brush arrived neatly packaged in it's own little box to protect the bristles. Again it follows the same smart branding and looked premium.

Once out of the packaging, I inspected the brush and found it has a thin wire metal core construction. It would be perfectly suited for cleaning those tight areas between caliper & wheel barrel or between tight spokes.

The brush includes a solid wooden handle, a protective rubber guard at both the knuckle and also on the tip of the metal core to prevent any scratching to the alloy. The bristles themselves did feel slightly rough but they do bend and flex with relative ease.

The Method

Sam's Method:

1. Soak the brush in a bucket of warm with with Sam’s wheel soap for a few minutes. In this time you can begin to knock off the brake dust with a jet of water.

2. Squirt Sam’s wheel cleaner on the wheel and directly onto the bristles of the brush.

3. Now simply work the brush around the alloys into all the crevices giving it a ruddy good scrub! Utilise the lather from the wheel soap and the cleaning power of our wheel cleaner as the ultimate combo.

4. You can bend the stem wire to reach around certain areas but don’t go OTT with it!

Following the instructions from Sam, the wheels were sprayed down with Sam's Wheel Cleaner and the bucket had 25ml of Wheel Shampoo added then mixed using the pressure washer.

The Flexi Alloy Brush was then used to firstly clean between the spokes, in particular on the spokes with the tighter gap. It worked really well in this situation, something other brushes in the past struggled with.

Next I focused on the barrel and in particular the tight area located at the large brembo caliper. This brush proved perfect for cleaning this area and removed the need for me to roll the car forward to reach it, something I had to do in the past with other brushes. It also cleaned the outside faces of the caliper while doing the barrel as well, an added bonus.

The only real issue I had with the brush was the amount of dirt that was thrown back at me. Due to the stiffness of the bristles, despite their ability to move they would during agitation flick back at me, covering my arm & clothing with dirt. It meant you were trying to move the brush in a careful fashion to prevent this dirt being thrown at you, although it is worth mentioning that this is common with this style of brush.

I would also say it's not a brush I would be using on gloss black wheels either as I suspect the bristles would cause marring/light scratches to this type of finish.

Price

The Flexi Brush comes in at £16.00 excluding any P&P. The lifespan of the brush was roughly 8-9 months before I considered it worse for wear.

Squeezing it into very tight spaces each wash does take it's toll on the bristles of the brush and over time they lose the ability to retain their shape.

Conclusion

It's a decent brush and does the job you would expect of it. For £16 though I do think it's a little overpriced. I have seen similar type brushes available for cheaper and when you consider it didn't last the year, it's not the most durable either for the cost.
Brian1612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (18-05-2019), Cookeh (19-05-2019), Cookies (19-05-2019)
Old 18-05-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,651 Times in 3,008 Posts
Thanks for the review - did you find the back splatter reduced as the brush became bedded in and worn slightly ?

As it got worn down, did it still perform cleaning wise or did this reduce as well ?
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (19-05-2019)
Old 18-05-2019, 11:07 PM   #3
TonyHill
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Think I'll stick with my EZ detail brush, slightly more expensive but still going strong after 2 years
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyHill For This Useful Post:
Brian1612 (19-05-2019)
Old 19-05-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyblue View Post
Thanks for the review - did you find the back splatter reduced as the brush became bedded in and worn slightly ?

As it got worn down, did it still perform cleaning wise or did this reduce as well ?
It did andy but due to the bristles becoming more clumped together, they became more stiff.

It became more aggressive as it wore down and if anything, more effective for the barrels/flat surfaces but not the tight corner type gaps.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian1612 For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (19-05-2019)
Old 19-05-2019, 12:46 AM   #5
Andyblue
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,651 Times in 3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1612 View Post
It did andy but due to the bristles becoming more clumped together, they became more stiff.

It became more aggressive as it wore down and if anything, more effective for the barrels/flat surfaces but not the tight corner type gaps.

Cheers Brian
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 01:10 AM   #6
fatdazza
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,038 Times in 1,452 Posts
Blimey - that final photo of the brush looks like a cat that has been put through the washing machine.

To "fail" like that is an indication of an inferior product.

For goodness sake tell it like it is. The product is a "fail" and not fit for purpose.
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Brian1612
Distinguished Detailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post
Blimey - that final photo of the brush looks like a cat that has been put through the washing machine.

To "fail" like that is an indication of an inferior product.

For goodness sake tell it like it is. The product is a "fail" and not fit for purpose.
I wouldn't go that far dazza. It done it's job and like I said, the gap at either corner of the caliper was extremely tight. I think that is what caused the bristles to become as bad as they were.

However you are right, I would have still expected it to last a bit longer than it did and for the price tag the quality wasn't reflected.

Tags
alloy wheel brush, sam's detailing, wheel brush