Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by ValetPRO - ValetPRO was founded in 2005. We are a UK based company and manufacture our products from ValetPRO HQ in Newhaven, East Sussex. Our vision at ValetPRO is to produce the highest quality car care products and to be the trusted brand of choice for retailers, professional detailers and car care enthusiasts everywhere. We value creativity and are constantly looking for new ways to improve our existing products or develop new ones. We are on hand to provide expert advice on our products and we are always happy to hear about your experience from using any of the ValetPRO range and receiving any feedback that you may have.

Old 21-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #11
-marius-
Unwashed Member

Owatrol Polytrol(https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol/). This stuff is pure magic on exterior plastic.
It is cheap(for me 0,5 liter will probably last at least a decade) and lasts a very long time.
On my previous car it was still holding well after 1,5 years(I then sold it). If done properly I have hard people getting 2-3 years. It will become less shiny after this time but the color will still be almost the same as the first day you applied it.
Very important to follow instructions to get the best results. Only thing I have done different is that I use cheap kitchen sponges for application, I don't want to ruin my applicator pads or microfiber cloths for this.
Not to be used on rubber!
-marius- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -marius- For This Useful Post:
tosh (21-05-2019), wayne451 (27-05-2019)
Old 21-05-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister

“Polytrol is a deep penetrating oil which restores the original colour and appearance of dull or tarnished plastics, gelcoats, metals, and other surfaces.”

Interesting stuff.
WristyManchego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
andy665
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -marius- View Post
Owatrol Polytrol(https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/polytrol/). This stuff is pure magic on exterior plastic.
It is cheap(for me 0,5 liter will probably last at least a decade) and lasts a very long time.
On my previous car it was still holding well after 1,5 years(I then sold it). If done properly I have hard people getting 2-3 years. It will become less shiny after this time but the color will still be almost the same as the first day you applied it.
Very important to follow instructions to get the best results. Only thing I have done different is that I use cheap kitchen sponges for application, I don't want to ruin my applicator pads or microfiber cloths for this.
Not to be used on rubber!
Looks interesting, a 100ml sample pot is only £5 delivered so ordered to try on the BMWs hood cover, its hard grained black plastic and nothing has really done the trick on it that I have tried so far
andy665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andy665 For This Useful Post:
wayne451 (27-05-2019)
Old 27-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Looks interesting, a 100ml sample pot is only £5 delivered so ordered to try on the BMWs hood cover, its hard grained black plastic and nothing has really done the trick on it that I have tried so far

A follow up on performance would be appreciated. Can’t get it to test down under.
Old 27-05-2019, 11:37 AM   #15
James_R

Thanked 1,097 Times in 866 Posts
Auto Finesse Revive is nice.
Easy to apply, and I don't mind doing every couple of months.
Solution Finish to very good too (although more expensive)

Long term, you're looking at Gtechniq C4 or similar for a more permanent solution.
Prep is key with this though.
James_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #16
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister

Best products for black exterior trim

There’s a lot of great recommendations here but also a lot of misguided ones.

Without getting into semantics, there are three categories when it comes to trim treatments: Dressing, Restoration, Coating.

Dressings are temporary, restoration products are permanent reviving products, and coatings are permanent protection products.

As a quick example, a dressing would be Meguiars Trim Detailer, a restoration product would be Solution Finish and a coating would be a ceramic (Any. Yes they can almost all go over plastics. Dedicated not required).

A coating, in of its self, won’t fully and properly restore plastic and a restoration product won’t technically leave protection once restored. A ceramic can be used post restoration with some products.

Although OP didn’t mention which they were after, it is an important factor to clarify when it comes to trim treatments to properly discern between types and make appropriate recommendations.
Old 27-05-2019, 02:01 PM   #17
westerman

Not sold on the 'permanent'. All products are temporary and not infinite. imo

The reason I use CarPro PERL is because after washing the car (and wheels) it's easy, simple and cheap to wipe a coat of PERL onto the trim and tyres and they then retain their 'new' look. It's also very versatile and can be used on the engine and car interior if you wish.
Yes there's a myriad of products out there, all doing a good job and each to his own. I prefer the water based products to the gels and coatings, others don't.

Harry

Last edited by westerman; 27-05-2019 at 05:23 PM.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #18
-marius-
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy665 View Post
Please update us on the results. Remember that the preparation before applying Polytrol is very important. I degrease, wash and dry, then wipe with 3M control spray, IPA or something similar and let it dry for minimum 12 hours making sure the plastic is completely dry.
If it is a really rough surface then you might need to use a small paint brush to work it into the plastic.
-marius- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #19
garage_dweller
Orbital Oracle

Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer seems to last failry well and gives a nice low sheen finish.
garage_dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2019, 12:06 PM   #20
WristyManchego
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerman View Post
Not sold on the 'permanent'. All products are temporary and not infinite. imo

Neither is the original substrate. Relative to that lifespan, a product should be regarded as permanent if it can withstand the same conditions for a similar period.