Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Home and Garden Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Home and Garden Zone All about the Home - including alternative uses for cleaning products ... and all about the Garden

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM   #1
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rayaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 990
Thanked 1,139 Times in 880 Posts
Garage concrete mess

Have had a longstanding issue with the concrete in my garage

Basically it keeps dusting, and is always chalky no matter what. Better in some areas than others but I put paint down on it thinking it'd stop it but nope, the paint just comes off with a very fine layer of concrete dust on it.

Obviously seems to go everywhere too, like car mats, in the house etc

Any idea how to solve this? Im in half minds just to layer it with tarmac or asphalt flooring tbh

Thanks
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
wish wash
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
wish wash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Causing mischief in the R35
Posts: 1,487
Thanks: 42
Thanked 667 Times in 542 Posts
Have you tried concrete sealer on it.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
ollienoclue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,070
Thanks: 334
Thanked 479 Times in 401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayaan View Post
Have had a longstanding issue with the concrete in my garage

Basically it keeps dusting, and is always chalky no matter what. Better in some areas than others but I put paint down on it thinking it'd stop it but nope, the paint just comes off with a very fine layer of concrete dust on it.

Obviously seems to go everywhere too, like car mats, in the house etc

Any idea how to solve this? Im in half minds just to layer it with tarmac or asphalt flooring tbh

Thanks
You need to use a concrete sealant before painting. Can you go with that rubberised floor paint instead?
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #4
N58amx
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Kent
Posts: 26
Thanks: 2
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayaan View Post
Have had a longstanding issue with the concrete in my garage

Basically it keeps dusting, and is always chalky no matter what. Better in some areas than others but I put paint down on it thinking it'd stop it but nope, the paint just comes off with a very fine layer of concrete dust on it.

Obviously seems to go everywhere too, like car mats, in the house etc

Any idea how to solve this? Im in half minds just to layer it with tarmac or asphalt flooring tbh

Thanks
That will be surfsce laitance in your concrete.
Grind it off brfore painting and job will be a good en.
Not sure of the size of your floor?

But you could use a sander , or grab a locsl floor layer, with a buffing machine
Will take him all of 10 minutes if he has the right gear
N58amx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:31 AM   #5
Chrislazski
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 78
Thanks: 45
Thanked 41 Times in 31 Posts
https://www.promain.co.uk/floor-pain...oor-paint.html

how about this ^^^

Looks like the concrete doesn't need to be acid etched or sanded when using it

Last edited by Chrislazski; 05-04-2019 at 03:02 AM.
Chrislazski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 08:52 AM   #6
slim_boy_fat
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
slim_boy_fat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Scottish Highlands
Posts: 3,203
Thanks: 2,895
Thanked 1,292 Times in 1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislazski View Post
https://www.promain.co.uk/floor-pain...oor-paint.html

how about this ^^^

Looks like the concrete doesn't need to be acid etched or sanded when using it
But it does say "Ensure the surfaces to be painted are clean dry and free from dust, " - which is the OP's problem?
slim_boy_fat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:30 PM   #7
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rayaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 990
Thanked 1,139 Times in 880 Posts
The floor is 35m2

The paint actually said to thin down with white spirit for the first coat to seal the concrete and then paint neat for second coat

Problem being it keeps dusting no matter what so do I need to use a dedicated concrete sealer after removing the paint?
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 589
Thanks: 241
Thanked 251 Times in 211 Posts
No, you need to remove the weak laitance layer until you are down to solid concrete. To do anything else simply means you will continue to have the finish fail as the weak surface continues to break up/dust. You always get this effect with concrete, my garage floor was poured more than 10 years ago and still has sections affected by laitance. In my case I’ve been putting off dealing with it simply as it means emptying it (or at least half of it) then acid etching/washing to remove the last of the weak layer, only then can I think about epoxy floor coating.

In my house I used liquid (anhydrite) screed and this also had a laitance layer which I removed mechanically (scraping) before it could be tiled, so mechanical abrasion can also be used (as described above by a previous poster) but this can create a lot of mess.

The end result is all down to the prep, and unfortunately there are no short cuts if you want a lasting finish.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #9
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Rayaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,615
Thanks: 990
Thanked 1,139 Times in 880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shl-kelso View Post
No, you need to remove the weak laitance layer until you are down to solid concrete. To do anything else simply means you will continue to have the finish fail as the weak surface continues to break up/dust. You always get this effect with concrete, my garage floor was poured more than 10 years ago and still has sections affected by laitance. In my case I’ve been putting off dealing with it simply as it means emptying it (or at least half of it) then acid etching/washing to remove the last of the weak layer, only then can I think about epoxy floor coating.

In my house I used liquid (anhydrite) screed and this also had a laitance layer which I removed mechanically (scraping) before it could be tiled, so mechanical abrasion can also be used (as described above by a previous poster) but this can create a lot of mess.

The end result is all down to the prep, and unfortunately there are no short cuts if you want a lasting finish.
I agree this is what is putting me off also

There is a lot of it from what I can tell so it seems like i just have to cope with it or put something on top to prevent the dust actually coming up
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:27 PM   #10
shl-kelso
Orbital Oracle
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Scottish Borders
Posts: 589
Thanks: 241
Thanked 251 Times in 211 Posts
Probably best to think about interlocking rubber/PVC floor tiles as these will give a good finish without needing to treat the floor first.
shl-kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shl-kelso For This Useful Post:
Rayaan (08-04-2019)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors